PDA

View Full Version : Piracy: Everybody Does It; Everything Should Be Free

accadacca
02-17-2011, 09:59 AM
http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/3711938400_d210f565bd_z-e1297872835601.jpg?w=300&h=199 (http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/3711938400_d210f565bd_z.jpg)

gigaom.com - Pirates are in it for the free stuff, and there are plenty of them: That

Sombeech
02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
You’d probably be hard-pressed to find many people in Hollywood happy with these kinds of findings

screw hollywood

tanya
02-17-2011, 10:07 AM
I like the ad supported free sites too like hulu. Would not even begin to know how to pirate something? Most pay for netflix I think since its been around a while and cheaper than cable. Hulu just started to charge for some content, but why when most of it is free or can be found free elsewhere.

Sombeech
02-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I like the ad supported free sites too like hulu. Would not even begin to know how to pirate something? Most pay for netflix I think since its been around a while and cheaper than cable. Hulu just started to charge for some content, but why when most of it is free or can be found free elsewhere.

Hulu is awesome. My wife and I watch 90% of our TV shows on it. We don't mind the ads. Everybody gets paid their dues, and I only pay for my monthly internet bill.

tanya
02-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Can't watch House on it now though! But you can still catch it on the fox site.

Deathcricket
02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
It's a new business model and one I'm glad to see. As an example, take Andy Mckee. I would have NEVER heard of this guy if it wasn't for hearing it free on youtube. Mainstream music would never accept him in a million years! But because his music was essentially distributed for "free" he is now financially successful and touring like crazy. So even if 80% of the people that like him steal his music, the 20% (or whatever it is) that buy his album still make him bank. This video has 36 million hits, and that is just one single of his 60 songs. Give him a penny every time someone somewhere watches his video and that is like 360k right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

moabfool
02-19-2011, 08:22 PM
It's a new business model and one I'm glad to see. As an example, take Andy Mckee. I would have NEVER heard of this guy if it wasn't for hearing it free on youtube. Mainstream music would never accept him in a million years! But because his music was essentially distributed for "free" he is now financially successful and touring like crazy. So even if 80% of the people that like him steal his music, the 20% (or whatever it is) that buy his album still make him bank. This video has 36 million hits, and that is just one single of his 60 songs. Give him a penny every time someone somewhere watches his video and that is like 360k right?

Even though there are "live" videos of concerts there is one fact that will never change, you can't pirate being there. Most real musicians make their money from playing live.

Deathcricket
02-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Even though there are "live" videos of concerts there is one fact that will never change, you can't pirate being there. Most real musicians make their money from playing live.

Well sure. but who is going to go to a concert and spend money on a band they have never heard of? My point was that this is a new business model, and just because a band is giving away their music for free on the net doesn't mean that they still don't make money from other means. You're right though, most of it is probably from live concerts. Piracy isn't a bad thing because exposure to a wider audience is more valuable though.

Don
02-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Saw this chart recently, it's more about digital sales not saving the music industry but it seems useful to the discussion;