PDA

View Full Version : Backpack: To Dangle or Not to Dangle

huntinkyhl
02-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on dangling your backpack while on rappel. Is it determined by the weight of your pack? The angle of the rappel? The nature of getting on rappel? The length of rappel?

Just want to know why you would choose to Dangle vs. Not Dangling.

Thanks

Iceaxe
02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
In most cases I'm a big fan of the DO NOT DANGLE... reason being is I've seen dangling backpacks knock a lot of debris down on those below and my feeling is falling objects are always bad. Anther reason is I believe canyoneers should learn to rappel and downclimb with their packs on as it greatly speeds up the entire process if done correctly.....

But I will dangle my pack on long free-air rappels like the exit of Heaps or other similar type rappels where fatigue might become an issue. Also if I'm carrying an extra heavy backpack for some strange reason. I've noticed fat people (lets be realistic, if its muscle this is not an issue) like to dangle as it helps eliminate the top heavy tendency to fatigue and flip over.... bottomline... I don't dangle because I'm not fat, I carry a lightweight pack, I don't fatigue easy and I'm not a noob....

YMMV

And welcome to Bogley. :2thumbs:

denaliguide
02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
and i thought it was going to be a question of boxers or briefs. :lol8:

tanya
02-15-2011, 03:08 PM
That's just what I was thinking - so had to look. :oops:

rclimb
02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
:haha: i do not dangle my backpack most of the time. the only time my backpack is dangle for long free air rappels.

Scott Card
02-15-2011, 11:23 PM
the only time my backpack is dangle for long free air rappels. with a heavy pack. Weight is the primary concern for me. If it will flip me over I dangle. The second rap on Heaps comes to mind. The firs time I did it I had my pack on. I was exhausted by the time I go to the perch from fighting to not flip upside down. Never made that mistake again in Heaps.

canyoncaver
02-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Yeah it's mostly about weight. If it is a light pack, just wear it. If it is heavy, rig a tether but keep the pack over one shoulder until you go free-hanging. Then you can eliminate the debris knocking that Ice describes.

<begin rant> HOWEVER, no one should ever be under you in the rockfall zone at all! If that is how you operate, then you've got other problems. I see too many canyoneers not treat the rockfall zone with respect. Some even stand down there with no helmet looking up! You can even see that in photos on this forum. I see it in Zion all the time. Clear the rockfall zone, then call off rope. <end rant>

Another time you should always tether, regardless of pack weight is when you are ascending rope. Most ascending systems are highly inefficient with a pack on your back. Tethering on ascent keeps everything in line.

Iceaxe
02-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Teaching Moment!!!!

A little trick for relaxing on long free-air rappels... before you begin your rappel grab a quick-draw, clip it to the haul strap of you backpack and to the rappel rope over you shoulder. Then rappel as normal, using your backpack as a nice and comfortable backrest all the way down. It works really well for fat guys, heavy packs, large breasted women, showing off to your friends or just being lazy....

qedcook
02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Teaching Moment!!!!

A little trick for relaxing on long free-air rappels... before you begin your rappel grab a quick-draw, clip it to the haul strap of you backpack and to the rappel rope over you shoulder. Then rappel as normal, using your backpack as a nice and comfortable backrest all the way down. It works really well for fat guys, heavy packs, large breasted women, showing off to your friends or just being lazy....

That's a pretty clever idea. Does it work for large breasted men?

Iceaxe
02-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Does it work for large breasted men?

I thought we already cover that with... "fat guys"... :lol8:

Deathcricket
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Teaching Moment!!!!

Ohhh.. I don't think the haul strap of my backpack is long enough, but never thought of that. Good tip.

I once got lectured for dangling my backpack on a quickdraw. Guess that was a rookie move :)

Iceaxe
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I once got lectured for dangling my backpack on a quickdraw. Guess that was a rookie move :)

Just curious... what was the reason given for not using a quick draw to dangle?

A quick draw is not what I would use but I really can't see anything wrong with it if you feel the need to dangle. If I dangle I like a biner in the system somewhere so I can quickly disconnect from my pack if need be.

Deathcricket
02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
The thing that stands out most in my mind is "This is canyoneering, not sport climbing, I specifically requested everyone on my trips use a locking biner". And then he lent me one to use...:haha:

I'm still so new that i don't really even question my elders requests. Perhaps some day.

Iceaxe
02-16-2011, 12:10 PM
"This is canyoneering, not sport climbing, I specifically requested everyone on my trips use a locking biner".

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Great impression of the Emperor....

Brian in SLC
02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
The thing that stands out most in my mind is "This is canyoneering, not sport climbing, I specifically requested everyone on my trips use a locking biner". And then he lent me one to use...

I dunno. If you really need to dangle the pack, then, you might really need to unclip it on the fly. Having a stuck locker in the heat of battle isn't any good either.

Scott Card
02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I dunno. If you really need to dangle the pack, then, you might really need to unclip it on the fly. Having a stuck locker in the heat of battle isn't any good either.Isn't that why you carry a sharp knife to pull out to use next to weighted lines?

(Just Kidding people...)

uintahiker
02-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Isn't that why you carry a sharp knife to pull out to use next to weighted lines?

(Just Kidding people...)

You could use this :lol8: Apparently locking, knife, AND it has a cool National Geographic imprint on it so you look official.

slim
03-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Another good reason to dangle is if you want to take a picture or two on the way down. I had my (cheap) camera clipped to my harness so I could take a shot going down the big drop in Mind Bender after locking off the rope. With the pack on, it's a real pain trying to use the camera when you're hanging in free air.

ratagonia
03-03-2011, 08:09 AM
The thing that stands out most in my mind is "This is canyoneering, not sport climbing, I specifically requested everyone on my trips use a locking biner". And then he lent me one to use...:haha:

I'm still so new that i don't really even question my elders requests. Perhaps some day. (sigh!)

I continue to insist that you are welcome to use a non-locking carabiner for anything you are willing to have dropped on your head from 200 feet.

At least I didn't toss your sprouts-climbing carabiners into the bushes, did I? See - I exercise restraint!

Tom

ratagonia
03-03-2011, 08:13 AM
I dunno. If you really need to dangle the pack, then, you might really need to unclip it on the fly. Having a stuck locker in the heat of battle isn't any good either.

In big water flow, one would want to attach the pack closer to the body with a releasable system, such as a short rope with a munter mule on the off-side. In confusion, pulling the ripcord on this is much easier than unclipping a biner (with 30 cfs pouring onto your pack).

Tom :moses:

ratagonia
03-03-2011, 08:18 AM
with a heavy pack. Weight is the primary concern for me. If it will flip me over I dangle. The second rap on Heaps comes to mind. The firs time I did it I had my pack on. I was exhausted by the time I go to the perch from fighting to not flip upside down. Never made that mistake again in Heaps.

Yeah, what he said.

Mostly, used for free-rappels. If you have your feet on the wall it is much less of a problem, and has down-sides like knocking rocks off. Can wear the pack for part, and dangle for part.

Sometimes on hard, downclimbing starts (especially as the last person with the anchor extended a lot) it is a big help to easing down onto the rappel.

Helps to practice, to get the length right, and learn how to keep the rope from wrapping around the dangle-cord. Length depends on the circumstances, and I try to keep it on my left side, rather than directly below. Obviously, if the pack is heavy, it will be right below.

Etc. A useful tool to use when needed, to practice so you understand the parameters, but perhaps to use ONLY when needed in the field.

Tom :moses:

Iceaxe
03-03-2011, 08:32 AM
At least I didn't toss your sprouts-climbing carabiners into the bushes, did I? See - I exercise restraint!

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: