PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Size???

huntinkyhl
02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I am in the market for a new canyoneering backpack. I have narrowed it down to an Imlay Spry (30 liters) or a Kolob (40 liters). I need help deciding which size to get. Right now I can't afford buying more than one pack. This pack will have to be used on all my cayoneering trips.(I know not one pack works for all canyons) I think the pack would be used about 95% of the time for day trips. I aslo don't want it so big that i can't take it down a lot of skinny canyons. (I know i can't take either of these through a lot of super skinny canyons). I typical carry a 9mm 200' rope and a 6mm 200' pull cord, along with the other usual stuff.

What do you think, 30 or 40?

Tom if you chime in here, can a medium size rope bag and a pull cord bagette fit inside either of these packs.

Thanks for the help.

Iceaxe
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Food for thought.... When I carry a small pack I strap the rope (or rope bag) and sometimes the wetsuit to the outside.

ratagonia
02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
I am in the market for a new canyoneering backpack. I have narrowed it down to an Imlay Spry (30 liters) or a Kolob (40 liters). I need help deciding which size to get. Right now I can't afford buying more than one pack. This pack will have to be used on all my cayoneering trips.(I know not one pack works for all canyons) I think the pack would be used about 95% of the time for day trips. I aslo don't want it so big that i can't take it down a lot of skinny canyons. (I know i can't take either of these through a lot of super skinny canyons). I typical carry a 9mm 200' rope and a 6mm 200' pull cord, along with the other usual stuff.

What do you think, 30 or 40?

Tom if you chime in here, can a medium size rope bag and a pull cord bagette fit inside either of these packs.

Thanks for the help.

No. A Medium Rope Silo (soon to be a Large Rope Silo, no change in size) is not going in any pack, except in very special circumstances, such as you are IN the canyon and most of the other stuff you carried is being worn. So this is not really an issue.

I would say go with the Kolob. For skinny stuff, you can take whatever packs are at the bottom of your closet and you don't care about.

If you "typically carry" the 200' rope and 200' pull, then you are welcome on many canyoneering teams! :2thumbs:

But you would have trouble carrying a basic kit and the 200' pull inside the Spry, and the 200' rope on the outside.

Tom :moses:

huntinkyhl
02-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Iceaxe, what size pack do you like on day trips?

Tom,

Is the Kolob going to come in different colors for 2011, or stay red and blue?

Also does the 40 liters count the volume of the lid and main compartment, or just the main compartment.

Why does Ram like the Spry so much???

Thanks for the help.

ratagonia
02-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Tom,

Is the Kolob going to come in different colors for 2011, or stay red and blue?

Also does the 40 liters count the volume of the lid and main compartment, or just the main compartment.

Why does Ram like the Spry so much???

Thanks for the help.

Ram is an old man, and is never obliged to carry the rope or other group gear, so he can get away with a small pack.

All packs will be available in two new colors for 2011: Sage Green and Sandstone Orange. I should have some stuff out on that tomorrow.

There are a few Sprys around, only in blue, I think. Kolobs still available in Red and Blue, I think.

The 40 liters is an estimate. I did the actual measuring a few months ago, and the results were startling. Volumes include the lid, but not the side pockets. They are:

Leprechaun 15.4 liters 940 cu in
Mystery 23.2 liters 1420 cu in
Spry 27.9 liters 1702 cu in
Kolob 32.1 liters 1960 cu in
Heaps 41.9 liters 2556 cu in

The Lid by itself 4.7 liters 170 cu in

But remember, these are accurate, measured volumes, without the pleated pockets. The Spry and Kolob have pretty much the same pleated pocket, while the Heaps definitely has a lot more. The Spry and Kolob pleated pocket are about the same size as the lid, so add 4.7 liters if you want. The Heaps pleated pocket set is about 8.1 liters total (:naughty:).

Tom :moses:

Scott Card
02-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I rarely if ever have wished I had brought a smaller pack in a canyon. I have several packs and my medium and big packs are used the most. I'd go with the Kolob. My go-to pack is the old version Mystery cause my next size up is the Heaps. I have used the Mystery a ton and I have lent it out a bunch. I have often wished I had more room. I wish I had the Kolob. I'd go with that one in a heart beat.:2thumbs:

huntinkyhl
02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Got any pictures of the new colors?

jman
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I suggest getting a Mountain Hardwear Dihedral backpack. I'm the carrier in my group. It easily hold my Imlay 200ft 8.3mm rope, 200ft 6mm pull-cord, 3liter H20 bladder, my other canyoneering gear - and all contained within the backpack. Nothing hanging out.

I took out the internal frame since I didnt really care for it. Plus I added 5 grommets to the bottom of the pack for drainage.

Best part, feels very comfortable.
And it had many straps would can compress the bag and make it small as your bag gets smaller or are carrying less for that particular canyon.

Tom, is right, just bring a junk backpack for skinny slots (like escalate area and north wash). Other than those very tight canyons - the Dihedral backpack is a 5of5.
/end of my solicited opinion.

nat
02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I agree with Scott and Tom. I would go with the Kolob. I have found mine a pretty ideal size for almost all day hikes. It's quite sturdy also, and I have brought it in many skinny and high stemming slots. It eventually got trashed, but lasted better than other packs I've used.

Nat

ratagonia
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Here are the colors for next year - shipment coming in about April 20th. I call them Desert Orange and Sage Green. Reproduction of colors on your screen is unlikely to be entirely accurate.

Tom

Felicia
02-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Here are the colors for next year - shipment coming in about April 20th. I call them Desert Orange and Sage Green. Reproduction of colors on your screen is unlikely to be entirely accurate.

Tom

:2thumbs:

Iceaxe
02-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Iceaxe, what size pack do you like on day trips?

Imlay Kolob...

http://www.climb-utah.com/Moab/Files/entrajo1.jpg

moab mark
02-11-2011, 07:37 AM
If you are the main mule in your group I would go with a Heaps. I am the mule:angryfire: and there are alot of times I wish my Kolob was a bit bigger.

Iceaxe
02-11-2011, 08:06 AM
If you are the main mule in your group I would go with a Heaps.

I do have anther theory about size of backpack..... and that is whatever size pack you buy you will fill it up.... so the smaller pack has advantages.

And when I go with a couple of young guns I take a small pack... the running joke is they can carry the gear and I'll carry the extra 20 years. :lol8:

ratagonia
02-11-2011, 08:59 AM
I do have anther theory about size of backpack..... and that is whatever size pack you buy you will fill it up.... so the smaller pack has advantages.

And when I go with a couple of young guns I take a small pack... the running joke is they can carry the gear and I'll carry the extra 20 years. :lol8:

I like to bring a larger pack along for the young bucks. When they show up with a camelback, I say, "hey why don't you check this Heaps pack out. Now you have plenty of room for this rope and..."

:moses:

Iceaxe
02-11-2011, 09:36 AM
"hey why don't you check this Heaps pack out. Now you have plenty of room for this rope and..."

I'd trade 20 years for a full Heaps pack any day of the week.... anyone wanta trade? :lol8:

mmac
02-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I have most of Tom's packs, and I find that I carry my kolob the most in everything but the skinniest slots. The main reason is that it's got beefy hip straps that the spry lacks. Really saves the shoulders if you're on a longer day or have a bunch of wet heavy rope on your back.

Iceaxe
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Here are the colors for next year

FWIW: I will miss the red, I think is shows up nicely in photographs.

ratagonia
02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
FWIW: I will miss the red, I think is shows up nicely in photographs.

The idea was that the orange would take over that role. I did not really get the orange I wanted, but...

Ya never know until you see the actual packs.

Tom

Scott Card
02-11-2011, 12:25 PM
That orange will go nicely with your helmet, Tom. But will it clash with your 5.10's? And is it an acceptable color after Labor Day?

Scott Card
02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Oh, I forgot to add, I want an Orange one, Kolob that is. Put me on the list please. :2thumbs:

huntinkyhl
02-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the reply's and the help. I ordered the Red Kolob this morning. Hopefully it's on it's way soon. Hint hint Tom....

Tom has been more than helpful on several occasions as I've made purchases. Thanks for making great products and your great service.

Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks

moab mark
02-11-2011, 03:04 PM

I could be wrong but I'll put money on when Sir IceAxe takes his hot young stripper wife and his two daughters canyoneering his wife isn't packing the rope and big pack!!!!!:bootyshake::lol8:

bowjunkie
02-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I could be wrong but I'll put money on when Sir IceAxe takes his hot young stripper wife and his two daughters canyoneering his wife isn't packing the rope and big pack!!!!!:bootyshake::lol8:

:roflol: