PDA

View Full Version : Willis Creek on Ice

ibenick
01-31-2011, 09:05 AM
I spent the last three days camping in the Escalante area. I'm going to post a real trip report later this week but I thought I'd post this little clip of Willis Creek in the mean time. There was tons of ice, really an awesome sight to see.

http://vimeo.com/19374019

tanya
01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Very cool! No problem on Skutumpah?

ibenick
01-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Skutumpah was mostly dry with a few tricky spots where melting snow made the road very slick and muddy. The worst was the hill coming out of Willis Creek on the way over to Bull Valley Gorge, that was especially tricky coming back down. The rest of it was dry with a lot of very scary looking tracks from some someone who must have driven it when it was really muddy. That road would really, really suck when wet.

Sombeech
01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Cool. How deep was it if you fell through? Looks like less than a foot.

ibenick
01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Not very deep at all. Before the narrowest section there were some spots where it was deeper, at least from ice to water, maybe a couple of feet. It was kind of sketchy in that section because you could see through little holes in the center how far down it was but not much room to stay away from it. Fortunately I only dipped my foot the one time seen in the video.