PDA

View Full Version : Idea - Community Calendar

jman
01-31-2011, 07:07 AM
I know vbulletin supports calendars, but would a community-oriented calendar be of any use here (or rather, get used)?

For example, Bogley "community leaders" (in my opinion at least) IE - Sombeech, accadacca, Iceaxe, rcwild, ratagonia, jumar, tanya, Bo_Beck, etc.) could place calendar events that are public. Not just "anyone" would be able to place an event - as this would create WAY too many events, and of course spammers would easily ruin a potentially good idea.

So if there is a meetup, or Bogley Fest, canyoneering workshop, bike trip, weekly bike rides, a boating trip, you name it - it would be listed on the calendars and everyone could see it.

Within the calendar, for example, if rcwild (Rich Carlson) was having a meetup or workshop for Canyoneering, he give a brief snoposis of what it is, and then give a external-link to his official meetup page, etc.

Would this be effective?

tanya
01-31-2011, 07:47 AM
They need to put you on the payroll. :wink:

jman
01-31-2011, 08:00 AM
They need to put you on the payroll. :wink:

Haha. One day, maybe...lol

So what do you think Tanya?

asdf
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
how about a forum where people can post photos, share experiences, and exchange information.

jman
01-31-2011, 10:38 AM
how about a forum where people can post photos, share experiences, and exchange information.

Uh...ok.

tanya
01-31-2011, 10:50 AM
I think its a good idea. Beech is always doing bike rides, so it would be good to post them in one spot. Other would love to join those. Other post things they do where others are invited. When I get back to doing stuff I might even do it. :clap:

DOSS
01-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Google Calendar :).. and it is a great idea :)

accadacca
01-31-2011, 11:53 AM
There is a calendar available and it would simply need to be enabled. We had one a few years ago and no one used it. Perhaps it would get used now? Peeps do tend to post invites directly in the forums.

Sombeech
01-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Definitely possible. Like acca said, we had one for a few years but nobody really pushed it. There are multiple ways of doing this besides just having a "calendar" link up top.

The Google Calendar is a good idea too. We could embed that easily on a "Calendar" page.

The Calendar is great for invites/events like bike rides, canyon invites, Lunch / Dinner invites, looking for partners for a certain day... and maybe a canyoneer would like to go on a bike ride but they don't visit the bike forum, but they'd see it coming up on the calendar. It's all easy to do we would just need to push it and make it popular to get used.

jman
01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Definitely possible. Like acca said, we had one for a few years but nobody really pushed it. There are multiple ways of doing this besides just having a "calendar" link up top.

The Google Calendar is a good idea too. We could embed that easily on a "Calendar" page.

The Calendar is great for invites/events like bike rides, canyon invites, Lunch / Dinner invites, looking for partners for a certain day... and maybe a canyoneer would like to go on a bike ride but they don't visit the bike forum, but they'd see it coming up on the calendar. It's all easy to do we would just need to push it and make it popular to get used.

Oh cool, I like the google calendar idea though too for one BIG reason. It will get synched and pushed to my iPhone.

jman
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Anymore thoughts on this? I mentioned Iceaxe, rcwild, ratagonia (Tom) earlier....

I think it would be beneficial for the canyoneering forum, at least?

blueeyes
02-02-2011, 11:07 AM
I think it is a great idea. I know a group down here in Southern Utah that plans hikes almost every weekend and sometimes during the week. The forum they are currently using has changed its policies and they are very unhappy, currently looking for the right place to post their hiking events. They would be an nice addition to Bogley.

iceman
02-02-2011, 01:06 PM
+1 for the Google Calendar.

jman
02-02-2011, 09:41 PM
I've been doing some research and apparently, google calendar will not work with vbulletin 4 (at least natively). The vbulletin likes pretty nice actually. I've been checking out all of the vbulletin 4.0 features - there is a lot of customization.

Did the previous calendar that was once active look like the one on this website (http://www.forum-software.org/gallery/vbulletin-4-pictures-screenshots) (at the bottom of the webpage)?

On a sidenote: that Friend List (mentioned on the webpage above) looks like a fun feature too. Let's me know when my hommies are online on Bogley... Have you guys thought about this idea too?

Sombeech
02-03-2011, 07:43 AM
On a sidenote: that Friend List (mentioned on the webpage above) looks like a fun feature too. Let's me know when my hommies are online on Bogley... Have you guys thought about this idea too?

Yeah, tons of stuff to customize, we've looked at pretty much all of it. A lot of it would be fun for some but it might lose some of the members, possibly losing focus on the trip reports. Currently we can tell if somebody is online if the dot next to their username is green, or yellow for "idle".

I've been doing some research and apparently, google calendar will not work with vbulletin 4 (at least natively). The vbulletin likes pretty nice actually. I've been checking out all of the vbulletin 4.0 features - there is a lot of customization.

We could use a Google Calendar, just embed it to a page with a custom iframe code, but then we're tasked with managing who has permissions to post to it and all that stuff, labor intensive.

We'll stick with vbulletin options and addons. There are things that will relate certain threads to calendar events, stuff like that. We could put the calendar in the sidebar so it's visible from every forum. That might have been the downfall last time, just having it as a link that wasn't noticed up top, so it died.

Not sure, but maybe there will be a way for individuals to export the calendar from here and then forward it to their google calendar. But it will be best if we have vbulletin software as the source calendar.

Sombeech
02-05-2011, 03:40 PM
The Event Calendar is currently in the Beta stage:
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?45708-Event-Calendar

We've put it in the bigshots area for now just in case it blows up. Plus, it's kinda ugly right now, the avatars aren't looking right and we've got to skin some of the option buttons.