PDA

View Full Version : visiting Bryce Canyon area

oldtown51
01-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I am from North Carolina and visiting Bryce Canyon in late April. I am spending 2 days in the area and have one day planned for Bryce. What other parks would you locals recommend. I have been to Zion. I was thinking of Kodacrome Basion or Grandstaircase. What do you think? suggestions?

tanya
01-29-2011, 02:38 PM
It all depends on what you like to do. I love Zion and Bryce, but if you like wilderness then the GSENM is cool. Kodachrome does not excite me much. What have you done in Zion? There is Cedar Breaks and Cedar Mountain. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is in the area too.

trackrunner
01-29-2011, 02:49 PM
well it depends what you want to do. if it's hiking it might be best to move this thread to the hiking forum.

please clarify, it sounds like you only have 2 days total out here and one day is dedicated to Bryce and you are asking what to do with the last day? if that is the case and you pick a park far away that other day will be spent just driving to get there. Which way do you have to go? East or West from Bryce?

trackrunner
01-29-2011, 02:51 PM
There is Cedar Breaks and Cedar Mountain. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is in the area too.

Even in late April access to these areas will probably be blocked by snow

tanya
01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Oh yeah. You are right! oops :mrgreen:

oldtown51
01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
We are interested in light hiking and site seeing. We have been to Arches and Zion in the past. We are going to spend one day at Bryce spend the night and catch another park the next day and spend the next night in St. George. We fly home from Vegas the next day. I am looking for advise on something cool for the day after Bryce.

Pelon1
01-30-2011, 04:58 AM
There is always Zion as its hard to see everything, such as Kolob Fingers or up to Kolob reservoir. Around St George there is also the dinosaur tracks, little black mountain petroglyph park, Santa Clara petroglyphs, Snow Canyon, hike up a volcano crater, see Pine Valley, Sand Dunes out by Sand Hollow, the historic stuff in St George and Santa Clara, etc, etc...

erial
01-30-2011, 07:33 AM
I'd spend the bulk of both days in Bryce. I don't think there's anything else in the immediate area that will knock your socks off like the trails and views of Bryce. Kodachrome isn't that far to travel from Bryce and it's all on blacktop. No dirt roads to deal with. But after the Bryce eye candy, you'll think you've viewing Kodachrome via a black and white tv. Better to spend more time in Bryce and shorten your trip back to St George. Pelon1 has good suggestions for parks in that area. I'd second a visit to the Santa Clara petros.

When you have a longer stay available, then you'd want to head to Escalante and take in the spectacular stuff in that area.

tanya
01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
I totally agree.

uintahiker
02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
You could always hit up Willis Creek and Bull Valley Gorge- depending on how the road is. They're pretty sweet, and reasonably close to Bryce.

Also, Kannarra Creek could be an option. The water would be cold further in the canyon, but you could definitely see the lower part of it.

Silver Reef ghost town is interesting.

Santa Clara Petroglyphs is definitely worth your time.

Cosmic Kid
02-08-2011, 12:50 PM
You sound like a day-hiker so I would suggest Capitol Reef National Park. It's only a few hours east of Bryce and you will pass through some gorgeous terrain between Escalante & Boulder. Nice easy hikes are Cohab Canyon, Grand Wash, Cassidy Arch. Each of these is a very short hike, but the Cassidy Arch hike requires a climb of 900 feet but the views atop the Waterpocket Fold are very much worth it. You will find many fewer people at Capitol Reef than Bryce. At Bryce, do not be like 99% of the people and just look down from the rim...I recommend the Peek-a-Bool Loop, and be sure to drive to the extreme southern edge of the park and do the very short walk to Yovimpa Point. Also, you will feel as though you took a wrong turn somewhere on Highway 12 and ended up in Western Europe as you will hear much more French and German spoken at Bryce than you will English.