PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this bike...Trek Fuel EX 8

Kent K25
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I've been watching craigslist and ksl for a LONG time for a full suspension bike that will actually fit me. I haven't been out to try this one for size, but its the first XL frame size on a decent bike that I've seen in MONTHS.

All the reviews I've read make it sound like a great option for me, not looking for a downhill king, but a more versatile XC bike than my hardtail.

http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/bik/2170937640.html

Anyone out there have personal experience with this, or just want to give their opinion?

I'm hoping to get out there and take it on a trail before I make any final decision and try to negotiate price, but the owner is a wilderness guide or something so his girlfriend who has the listing email can't do the negotiating etc since she isn't sure what his thoughts are.

b_rock_101
01-27-2011, 01:36 PM
That's a good price. That bike is pretty good as an XC/light all-mountain bike. I'd consider it a good bike. You will notice a world of difference on descents compared to your hardtail.

live2ride
01-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Perfect bike for your needs, dont pass it up treks are great bikes.

theking648
01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
that looks like a great deal, it looks like an enduro, it's going to be a great XC bike that can handle all mountain riding.

thats something i'd like to have if i had the money but i'm still trying to find a kona stinky or yeti 575

Kent K25
01-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Dave...I knew you'd find this thread...but I was expecting something like..."Why buy a new bike when your lazy butt hasn't been riding the one you have!?!"

theking648
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Dave...I knew you'd find this thread...but I was expecting something like..."Why buy a new bike when your lazy butt hasn't been riding the one you have!?!"

I was thinking about saying that but I'm not sure if that would have been true.... you could have been riding your bike to all the basketball games, so in that case you would have been riding a lot more than I have. :lol8:

I guess I will remain the only real man here by riding my hardtail! :naughty:

or should I say, I can't afford any mountain bike no matter what the price. :cry1: I've passed up a few kona stinky's and yeti's where if I had the money I would have bought them.

tallsteve
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Appears to be a decent deal. Since it's 'lived' in St. George, make sure the desert terrain hasn't beaten the crap out of it. On an XL size, make sure to carefully inspect the frame for cracking where the seat post meets the top tube. Us taller guys have to have the seat post near it's limit and, as I've learned from experience, it can cause problems. With 29'rs pretty much taking over the new bike market there should be some very good deals on 26'rs. Try spinning your negotiations that way.

live2ride
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Appears to be a decent deal. Since it's 'lived' in St. George, make sure the desert terrain hasn't beaten the crap out of it. On an XL size, make sure to carefully inspect the frame for cracking where the seat post meets the top tube. Us taller guys have to have the seat post near it's limit and, as I've learned from experience, it can cause problems. With 29'rs pretty much taking over the new bike market there should be some very good deals on 26'rs. Try spinning your negotiations that way.

Don't let redfox here you say that, he argued with me that 29'rs will never make it and are just a gimmick..LOL. you must have missed that thread!

Kent K25
01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks tallsteve...I'd be interested in a 29er except I'm a biker on a budget and to get a nicer bike I'm going to have to go with a 26er to stay in my price range. Maybe a few years down the road I can pick up a 29er from someone looking to upgrade.

REDFOX
01-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Live2ride, You should read my posts more carefully. I never said that the 29 ers were a gimmick. They are unique and they require specific sized components. In my earlier posts I was simply giving my opinion. If I wanted to have an arguement it would be face to face. My opinion was and still is for a person buying their first bike go with something more common. I would recommend a 29 er to someone 6' or taller mainly because their aren't very many manufacturers that offer frames in xl. I would not recommend a Harley or a ducati to someone looking to buy their first motorcycle unless of course money is no object.

greyhair biker
01-29-2011, 08:13 AM
I rode this bike at the outdoor demo at Bootleg Canyon last fall - really an amazing bike. I was riding platform (w/o clips) and with only a few minor adjustments I was trail ready. It climbs like a goat and bombing down I passed through a nasty rock garden with some decent drops (3'-4') and had no problem whatsoever. It handled smoothly once I got used to the shifting. All in all a worthy ride!:nod:

Kent K25
01-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Looks like he is firm on price at $1000. Those with more knowledge and buying experience, would you pull the trigger at that price?

theking648
01-30-2011, 11:08 PM
it has Hydraulic Disc Brakes, and $350 wheelset.

for what this bike has $1000 is cheap. as long as the chain and gears are in good shape, and no leaky shocks then go for it.... if not i may have to find some stuff to pawn so i can go buy it before you. :lol8:

do what tallsteve said... just make sure it's not beat to hell.

accadacca
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Looks like a great deal to me. IMO this bike could sell for $1500.

REDFOX
01-31-2011, 06:51 PM
The fork and rear shock would cost you close to 1000.00 new. If they are in good shape and the frame has no cracks, than this would be a good deal. Seems like there are always good deals out there if you decide to wait.

greyhair biker
02-01-2011, 06:13 PM
The fork and rear shock would cost you close to 1000.00 new. If they are in good shape and the frame has no cracks, than this would be a good deal. Seems like there are always good deals out there if you decide to wait.
Agreed - quite the steal at $1000. :nod:

Kent K25
02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the bid of confidence, even as a good deal $1000 is a lot for me to spend. Finally got a hold of the actual owner and got more info. Sounds like it is in great shape. Pending a trial ride for size (and thorough overview for damage, etc) I should be picking this up when he is back in town on Saturday.

Oh, and an added bonus. It's actually a 2009, not 2008.

Kent K25
02-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Wow....just got the following email....

"Friend of a friend decided he`had the money and bought the bike last night.
However, if you went over to Zion Cycles Freddie might have something for you. He treats locals very well."

I told him on Tuesday that I would buy it on Saturday (he was out of town so we couldn't meet any sooner). He said that would be great...am I wrong to think what he did was wrong?

Guess I'll watch the ads for another year and hope something pops up in my size again.

Deathcricket
02-04-2011, 01:26 PM
:lol8:

Hmmm.. I have this bike I love, do I sell it to some stranger on the internet trying to lowball me, or a friend of a friend?

Easy decision IMO. But I hope you find a bike some day man!

Kent K25
02-04-2011, 09:31 PM
This stranger committed to buy it for the full listed price. The dishonest seller committed to holding it since he was the one who couldn't meet sooner.
If that's an easy decision, being dishonest and shady, then I'm glad you and I are strangers.

theking648
02-04-2011, 10:33 PM
you should have told me you wanted that bike, if i would have know i wouldn't have bought it... I knew the guy. he was my sisters friends cousins uncle... we are practically family. I had to pawn a bunch of stuff be he made me a good deal on it...

sorry bro.

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

on a serious note, i do feel bad for you.... there will be better deals on better days. well maybe not as good as this one, but still pretty damn good. :lol8:

accadacca
02-05-2011, 06:21 AM
That's lame man. You'll find another one. Sometimes you gotta act quick on those classified ads. I know you couldn't have in this situation.

blueeyes
02-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Don't worry Kent there was definitely something wrong with that one the next one you find will be MUCH better. :nod:

Kent K25
02-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Let's hope so...not a lot of stuff available in my size on the used market.

And DeathCricket....you caught me on a grumpy/frustrated day. My bad.

Deathcricket
02-06-2011, 07:05 PM
It's cool bro. I tend to be as subtle as a ball peen hammer. I also fail to realize when people are venting or actually want a serious opinion. My guess is you were just frustrated and venting, not asking a serious question.

You'll find a bike someday man. And I actually hope to meet you on one of Dave's excursions someday.... Assuming you don't bail out because a good basketball game is on. :P

Kent K25
02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
It's cool bro. I tend to be as subtle as a ball peen hammer. I also fail to realize when people are venting or actually want a serious opinion. My guess is you were just frustrated and venting, not asking a serious question.

You'll find a bike someday man. And I actually hope to meet you on one of Dave's excursions someday.... Assuming you don't bail out because a good basketball game is on. :P

A game that's ON TV will never override a ride. The problem is when you are coaching or playing...hard to bail on your team :)

theking648
02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
haha, lier! I remember a Lakers - Celtics playoff game last year that you couldn't miss. :bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::lol8:

Kent K25
02-07-2011, 07:45 PM
haha, lier! I remember a Lakers - Celtics playoff game last year that you couldn't miss. :bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::lol8:

I'm not gonna lie...if the Lakers are in the finals...I'm not going to ride during that bad boy. I can't imagine one being at a time of day that you would want to ride though. They are on in the evening/at night and we have always gone out in the mornings.

mfshop
03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey Kent K25,

Don't know if you're still in the market for a bike, but there's a XL 2008 trance on sale in St George CL. I might be tempted to buy it if it was in my size.

blueeyes
03-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Kent did find one. How much are they asking? I am looking for a bike for my boy.

Never mind found it on craigslist. Originally looking at KSL and didn't see it.

Kent K25
03-30-2011, 08:24 AM
They are asking $800, but they admit that it will need a tune up, brakes bled etc. Looks like a nice bike though.

http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/bik/2294623258.html

blueeyes
03-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Trance's seem like nice bikes. At the time I bought my Safire the other bike I was considering was a Trance. I wonder if he would go lower.

blueeyes
03-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Kent what were you riding before you bought your new bike?

Kent K25
03-30-2011, 09:08 AM
2004-ish Trek 8000 Hardtail. Love the bike, just wanted full suspension. Actually haven't sold it yet, might use it for paved trails towing the boy if I can convince the wife we don't need the money :)

blueeyes
03-30-2011, 09:36 AM
how much you selling it for?

Kent K25
03-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Honestly don't know what a fair asking price is. How tall is your son, it's a pretty tall bike

blueeyes
03-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Well he is 14 so he is not done growing and currently pushing 6' I haven't measured him lately. My guess is he stops around 6'4. His feet are not boats they are battleships. Although my brother is 6'8" so who knows? He was riding a 17" frame but that one is way too small for him now.

Kent K25
03-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Gotcha. I'm 6'5" and the standover height is pushing it with me, but I have a longer torso than legs. Worth a try, I can price it out a bit and see what is fair. Love the front shock, only downside is V-Brakes.

blueeyes
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
v-brakes are suitable for a 14 year old. :haha:

theking648
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
I wish I had 800 bucks :facepalm1:

i've always wanted a trance, it's not an x0 but close enough.

Kent K25
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Yeah looks like a good bike, though you'd need to put time or money (or both) into getting it up to speed.

Kent K25
03-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Sent you a PM Chere, let me know what you think.

blueeyes
04-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Yes got it! Mom and sis are in town. I will send ya PM in a couple days.

Kent K25
04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Sounds good, have fun with the family!