PDA

View Full Version : How Education Impacts Your Job & Income (Graphic)

accadacca
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
http://media.focus.com/images/uploaded/fyi/how-education-impacts-your-income-graphic/EduVsIncome.png

Scott Card
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I am a Truancy Court Judge and I am just walking out the door to deal with some sluffers. Thanks for this.:2thumbs:

Alex
01-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Very cool, busting your ass in college actually pays off :2thumbs:

blueeyes
01-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Clinical laboratory technologists or Medical Laboratory Scientists generally require a bachelor's degree in medical technology or in one of the life sciences; clinical laboratory technicians usually need an associate degree or a certificate.

Median annual wages of medical and clinical laboratory technologists (4 year degree) were $53,500 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $44,560 and $63,420

Median annual wages of medical and clinical laboratory technicians (2 year degree) were $35,380 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $28,420 and $44,310

This information is based of the 2010-2011 Occupational Handbook.

Specimen Processors do not require a degree and make about 10-12 and hour so roughly $21,000 to $25,000.

So yeah busting your ass in college makes a difference.

I know this chart has Lab Tech as top paying job with out a degree. That is fairly misleading. Most of the states now require that you have your certification to be able to work as a lab technician and 13 of them require licensure. About the only place you could get hired as a lab tech with out a degree would be a very rural hospital in serious need of technicians.

accadacca
01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
I am a Truancy Court Judge and I am just walking out the door to deal with some sluffers. Thanks for this.:2thumbs:

Nice. :haha:

CarpeyBiggs
01-28-2011, 03:51 PM
wonder if a high school grad made the poster... computer enginERRing? ha. :lol8:

double moo
01-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Hate to rain on the degree lovefest... I do agree that it is important and push my kids that direction - successfully I might add! But there are many successful folks without degrees, many multimillionaires. We can have the debate over these being the exception, and in most cases they are. But besides pro athletes, dot com geniuses, stock market phenoms, and the likes, there are some fields that pay well for those that decided not to press through college. Most of the trades pay pretty well - I know lots of Plumbers, electricians, sprink fitters, tin knockers, iron workers, and such that pull in $70-100k - higher that the "Top College Degrees" listed above. I have crane operators that with their OT make $100k+ a year (more if they travel to the boom jobs). Two years ago Rig Welders with gear rates, OT, travel, and sub, etc... were making close to $250k... I know this because I approved way too many contracts with them. Nearly all of my superintendents make $75k+, with quite a number in the $120k range.

It's sad that we live in a society that continually tells our kids that if they don't go on to college they'll never amount to much. They hear it from our teachers, their peers, and even from us as parents. What happened to the old days when being a builder was a respected field? When Farmers were revered for putting food on our tables? I could ramble on.. but I'd just like to say I'm proud to be a Construction Worker. You know - the guys who built your houses, the offices you work in, the university you learned in, the power plant the powers your home, the refinery that supplies you fuel, the plant they made your computer in, etc... Thank one of them the next time you see him or her!

bbennett
01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Thank one of them the next time you see him or her!

I'd love to but I don"t speak spanish :haha:

Iceaxe
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
But there are many successful folks without degrees, many multimillionaires.

You missed the point.....The above statistics are the AVERAGE...

"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

ratagonia
01-28-2011, 05:21 PM

"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Nice!!! :2thumbs:

T

asdf
01-28-2011, 07:28 PM

:roflol:

Sombeech
01-28-2011, 08:46 PM

Copied, Pasted, Saved

Cirrus2000
01-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Facebooked. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

CarpeyBiggs
01-28-2011, 09:34 PM
wow. multiple quotes from bogleyites facebook now...

denaliguide
01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
"Abraham Lincoln is a liar." - George Washington

Cirrus2000
01-28-2011, 10:21 PM
"Abraham Lincoln is a liar." - George Washington

As quoted by Sarah Palin... Or Michelle Bachmann?

ratagonia
01-29-2011, 08:57 AM
But there are many successful folks without degrees, many multimillionaires.

The wonderful smarmy quote was a great distraction, but to address the issue -

In the post-Reagan era, actual truth (small t, as shown by statistics) is no longer in fashion. The narrative, the inspiring story, the anecdote has replaced actual understanding (which is so difficult, requires work, and might come up with the "wrong" answer). Yes, there are always exceptions (for instance, me, so far), but level of education correlates highly with total money made.

Tom :moses:

cachehiker
01-29-2011, 11:28 AM
I was a technician with 3 years of college for 11 years: designing, building, programming, analyzing, troubleshooting, modeling, etc.

My employer was caught it a personnel jam and offered me a chance to work as an engineer, for $8.50 an hour. Supposedly, I would get wages commensurate with my abilities after I proved I could do the work. Roughly translated, this meant another 50

Iceaxe
01-29-2011, 11:28 AM
You gain your education when you are young in life to establish a strong foundation from which to launch a career.

The stronger your foundation the better chance of success. That doesn't mean you can't become a success starting with a small foundation and it doesn't mean a strong foundation guarantees success.

But anyone that doesn't believe a good education increases your chances in life is an idiot.

or as I prefer to teach it to my kids.... Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

ratagonia
01-29-2011, 11:50 AM
When pointy-haired managers arrange for interviews of technical talent, ...

Pointy-haired???

greyhair biker
01-29-2011, 12:05 PM
As quoted by Sarah Palin... Or Michelle Bachmann?
:roflol:

Sombeech
01-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Facebooked. :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

It's a hit :lol8:

greyhair biker
01-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I 'capped out' in two different careers before I got to where I am today, meaning I went as high as anyone in the fields with or without a degree could go. Both times I was put in a position that I had to make a life changing decision. A degree would have got me in the door sort of speaking but each time I had enough other qualifications to get me the job anyway. A degree(s) is vitally important but it is not the end all be all. I highly recommended my children to get a higher education and they have and are doing just that simply because, as I've told them and as they've learned, employers look for higher education as proof that you can set goals and achieve them....' here's my paper to prove it' mentality. I've also told them that it has taken me many more years of work to achieve what they see and it could have taken less time with a degree in my pocket. I have more 'certificates' in each field I worked in than I can count and no degree. No one cares at all about certificates or training that doesnt have a degree attached to it so be prepared to work your arse off 'round the clock for decades if needed to be successful in whatever you decide to do. :mrgreen: ...i'm off my rant now:haha:
Oh BTW the 'last' position I put in for out at work was for an HR position of which I had more than 10 years hands on experience. The guy who got the position had no experience whatsoever in HR and ten years less time on the same job. He got the position because he had a degree. In animal husbandry. Go figure.

Redpb
01-29-2011, 06:21 PM
I have a question for you guys...
Last August I finished my BS in business mgmt and I can't find a job for anything. I understand the economy sucks and my degree is a dime a dozen. For every job out there, there is 300 applicants. So in the mean time I am trying to expand my resume by taking on a new skill and maybe degree.
Finally, the question... If you were to go back and learn a new skill or pick up a new degree what would it be?

ratagonia
01-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Last August I finished my BS in business mgmt and I can't find a job for anything. I understand the economy sucks and my degree is a dime a dozen. For every job out there, there is 300 applicants. So in the mean time I am trying to expand my resume by taking on a new skill and maybe degree.
Finally, the question... If you were to go back and learn a new skill or pick up a new degree what would it be?

Chinese.

no, really, I'm serious. Spanish is useful but it doesn't help the paycheck. Being able to speak Chinese is really difficult, and is and will be of great benefit to many employers. This is a very hard time to be out looking for a job - might as well stay in school if you can swing it.

Tom J

Iceaxe
01-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Having a toolbox full of tools is great.... but you still have to know what you are building before you begin.

Without knowing where you want to go with your career the question is hard to answer. It's like asking "what's the best car?"... and the answer is "it depends".

First thing I'd do is look at the careers with a shortage of personal... And right now the medical/health care industry is projected to have the large shortage of employees. So my question would be how do I fill out my current degree to enter my chosen field?

cachehiker
01-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Pointy-haired???

You never read Dilbert?

Scott P
01-30-2011, 02:16 PM
It's like asking "what's the best car?"... and the answer is "it depends".

Question asked to a cannibal: What do old people taste like?

A: "Depends".

Iceaxe
01-31-2011, 07:56 AM
Question asked to a cannibal: What do old people taste like?

A: "Depends".

:lol8:

uintahiker
01-31-2011, 08:49 AM
You gain your education when you are young in life to establish a strong foundation from which to launch a career.

The stronger your foundation the better chance of success. That doesn't mean you can't become a success starting with a small foundation and it doesn't mean a strong foundation guarantees success.

But anyone that doesn't believe a good education increases your chances in life is an idiot.

or as I prefer to teach it to my kids.... Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

I refer to it as "The Law of Sacrifice". You can give something up now or later, but you're gonna have to give something up. I prefer to pick my sacrifice now, instead of having it forced upon me later.

Another way to look at it is when you're young it's best to make choices that lead to the most options/opportunities, that way you can maximize the ones you get.

Another thing- When you are in school, find a part time job in the industry you want to work in. Education gets you an interview, but added experience gets you the job.

greyhair biker
01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
I'd go to Barnetts Bicycle Institute and get my engineering degree :nod:

Redpb
01-31-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd go to Barnetts Bicycle Institute and get my engineering degree :nod:
1 month and $5,000 later you could start your own shop!

Alex
02-01-2011, 09:23 AM

As you said, there are a ton of BSs out there. BS is a new High School diploma. You got to make yourself unique and different. Spending another 2 years and getting MBA or Master of Science would do the trick. About 65% of people don't work in the field of their BS. But about 85% of people work in the field of their Masters program.

greyhair biker
02-01-2011, 06:27 PM
1 month and $5,000 later you could start your own shop!
I wonder if they count already having a bikeshop for 8 years towards the degree:haha:

Sombeech
02-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Last August I finished my BS in business mgmt and I can't find a job for anything.

I have a B.S. in Sales, and I'm a Computer Tech for a school district.

accadacca
02-02-2011, 07:55 AM
BS is a new High School diploma.
Disagree.

I do agree that the number of people with a Bachelors Degree is rising. However, the number of people with even a BS/BA is still under 30%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_United_States#Educational_attainm ent

ibenick
02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Or you could skip the education and just be taller than average. :haha:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110167/taller-people-happier.aspx

Maya
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I have a masters and so far the degree is not helping with my income! I earned it right in time for the recession and frankly I feel pretty darn lucky to have a job.... Also, I'm almost 5'10''... how do I sign up for the your educated and tall bonus!

Dr. Nebz
02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
“It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.”
- Robert Green Ingersoll

Education in America is a joke. So cookie cutter. Carlin was right, see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

Deathcricket
02-03-2011, 08:24 AM
“It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.”
- Robert Green Ingersoll

Education in America is a joke. So cookie cutter. Carlin was right, see for yourself:
[video=youtube;acLW1vFO-2Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

Brilliant! :2thumbs:

Man there is a really cool video on youtube about this same subject. It's basically the premise that we are all farm animals who can't see our cage. We are "crops" to generate taxes and nothing more. On the preview pic is has this cartoon dude putting people into a giant meatgrinder. I wish I could find it but I can't, doh! I really enjoyed that clip of the late george Carlin though, good stuff.

Read an interesting story this morning about how college kids can't do critical thinking. I think that was one of the best skills my parents gave me in this life.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/01/18/106949/study-many-college-students-not.html

NEW YORK — An unprecedented study that followed several thousand undergraduates through four years of college found that large numbers didn't learn the critical thinking, complex reasoning and written communication skills that are widely assumed to be at the core of a college education.
Many of the students graduated without knowing how to sift fact from opinion, make a clear written argument or objectively review conflicting reports of a situation or event, according to New York University sociologist Richard Arum, lead author of the study. The students, for example, couldn't determine the cause of an increase in neighborhood crime or how best to respond without being swayed by emotional testimony and political spin. ..... Cont.... in article....

cachehiker
02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
I have a B.S. in Sales, and I'm a Computer Tech for a school district.

B.S. in Mathematics, only engineer here who almost always runs the numbers first.

Or you could skip the education and just be taller than average. :haha:

Happy to be an exception to that rule/trend/statistical correlation.

Sombeech
02-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Just to clarify, I'm happy with my job, I just wanted to point out that when you get a B.S. degree, your ideal job may not always be in that related field. It's just good to get any degree.

harman
02-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Just to clarify, I'm happy with my job, I just wanted to point out that when you get a B.S. degree, your ideal job may not always be in that related field. It's just good to get any degree.

This is my favorite topic but little late to reply I think. I must say that you said right buddy. It is true by watching the current economic situation it is good to get job first doe not mater if it is of your interest or not. Your study does not promise you to get a job but to enable you to do a job.
Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (http://www.pivot.edu.au/)