PDA

View Full Version : Was this right or wrong to do?

tanya
01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
It's been called unsportsmanlike. It's been called ugly. The question now is what whether Christian Heritage (Utah) High, which routed West Ridge (Utah) Academy, 108-3 (http://www.deseretnews.com/sports/high-school/stats/game/90669/2011-01-18-Girls-Basketball-West-Ridge-Academy-Christian-Heritage.html), in a girls basketball game last week, actually did anything wrong by blowing out an overwhelmed opponent (http://www.abc4.com/sports/story/108-3-Did-Christian-Heritage-do-the-right-thing/E6Hn3BvtFkiz8Ce1zYErwQ.cspx).

uintahiker
01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
It seems like something like this happens every year. It's always ugly for both teams and really a no-win situation.

You can't stop playing, and no matter what you do you'll always be accused of running up the score, but if the other team can't hit anything and you're knocking down everything you put up, what can you do? I'd say once you're up by 40-50 put your benchwarmers in and tell them to let the shotclock get down to 5 before they shoot it. Just do everything you can to run out the clock and get the game over.

tanya
01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
It's a brutal game. My oldest daughter got a broken nose last night and another girl got one of the worst black eyes I have ever seen. Both injuries were done by the same girl and a girl that is their friend. There is another girl on that team though that tries to hurt the girls on our team and other teams. Not last night but the game before that where they played I thought all the parents were going to get up and fight. It got ugly in there! The game was close but the anger was at the elbows flying by our opposing team.

I like the boys. They are not as mean as the girls. :haha:

accadacca
01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I heard about this story. Kind of unbelievable that it was anything, but running up the score.

denaliguide
01-24-2011, 06:09 PM
you are in a game. period. now, i don't know anything about west ridge but tell me west ridge doesn't get routed every game. better hope they like to lose. you can't tell your team not to score. just like the game of life there is going to be a loser and a winner, and sometimes you lose by a bunch. none of this pc crap about its's just about playing the game. that's for the parents of the losing team. you know damn well when the kids are playing one of these games where no one is keeping score that the kids know exactly what the score is. if it really is an issue then the coaches should have gotten together at half time and said that's enough and taken their teams out for snowcones. it's the old mercy rule. we used in in little league. if a team was up by 10 runs at the bottom of the fifth inning, then game over, snacks for everyone. play the game and play it hard.

accadacca
01-24-2011, 06:12 PM
In my sons (6-8) soccer league for every 5 goals or something that the other team is up the losing team gets to put in another player. Pansies... :haha:

bowjunkie
01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
you are in a game. period. now, i don't know anything about west ridge but tell me west ridge doesn't get routed every game. better hope they like to lose. you can't tell your team not to score. just like the game of life there is going to be a loser and a winner, and sometimes you lose by a bunch. none of this pc crap about its's just about playing the game. that's for the parents of the losing team. you know damn well when the kids are playing one of these games where no one is keeping score that the kids know exactly what the score is. if it really is an issue then the coaches should have gotten together at half time and said that's enough and taken their teams out for snowcones. it's the old mercy rule. we used in in little league. if a team was up by 10 runs at the bottom of the fifth inning, then game over, snacks for everyone. play the game and play it hard. X2 well said denali !!!!

chromehead58
01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
with little kids I say yes there is a mercy rule..however, once you get to competive high school game, I think it is different. I think it is wrong to teach kids to quit before the game is over...either side, If I were on Layton Christian I would have told my kids I was proud of them for playing so well..If I were the West Ridge Coach I would be having a talk about how far we have to go...over my years of coaching I have had to give both speeches...
One year Coaching a High School girls team, my biggest enemy was the girls themselves. We would kill everyone and then the girls would end up playing to the level of their competition. So not only were my girls getting worse, but when we got into national tournements and had to play tough teams it was tough to get the girls to play up their own level...
That being said, I do agree there has to be some kind of mercy rule, kick a dog too many times you get a wimp for a dog...

Skylinerider
01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Any team that can only score 3 points in a basketball game deserves whatever happens. I'd love to know how many shots they missed.

ratagonia
01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
It's a brutal game. My oldest daughter got a broken nose last night and another girl got one of the worst black eyes I have ever seen. Both injuries were done by the same girl and a girl that is their friend. There is another girl on that team though that tries to hurt the girls on our team and other teams. Not last night but the game before that where they played I thought all the parents were going to get up and fight. It got ugly in there! The game was close but the anger was at the elbows flying by our opposing team.

I like the boys. They are not as mean as the girls. :haha:

Wow, I'd heard Church Basketball was rough, but this.... :haha:

Tom :moses:

ratagonia
01-25-2011, 12:04 PM
you are in a game. period. now, i don't know anything about west ridge but tell me west ridge doesn't get routed every game. better hope they like to lose. you can't tell your team not to score. just like the game of life there is going to be a loser and a winner, and sometimes you lose by a bunch. none of this pc crap about its's just about playing the game. that's for the parents of the losing team. you know damn well when the kids are playing one of these games where no one is keeping score that the kids know exactly what the score is. if it really is an issue then the coaches should have gotten together at half time and said that's enough and taken their teams out for snowcones. it's the old mercy rule. we used in in little league. if a team was up by 10 runs at the bottom of the fifth inning, then game over, snacks for everyone. play the game and play it hard.

Yes, it is only a game.

And really, the score is 1-0. One side wins, one side loses. So running up the score proves nothing. Yeah, yeah, the points totals probably get used in tie-breakers elsewhere, but still...

Take all the starters out, and let the benchwarmers play. They are not in danger of losing the game. They do it in the pro leagues (but probably mostly to prevent injuries to key players).

Tom

Scott Card
01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
I say back waaaaaay off on defense and have a minimum"ten pass" rule before you shoot. I have coached in a few games like this but I never let the score go that out of control. I had a few hyper competitive parents get after me but I really didn't care. A coach who is in this situation can do a lot to control the outcome and still win, AND still have a positive practice so to speak. Draw up crazy plays, make 'em pass 10 times before a shot is put up, put the guards under the basket and the bigs outside, play only left handed. If your team doesn't follow the coaches direction, pull them out. Teach discipline along the way. There are many creative ways to keep the score down and still test and train the superior team.

tanya
01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Yep! Those sweet little girls be your neighbors. :haha:

tanya
01-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I was not sure, so I did not want to post it, but I was just at my Grandson's Bball game and was talking to my son. He confirmed that Christian Heritage is one of the first teams we have played in region the last few years.