PDA

View Full Version : River Plans (Hopes!?) for 2011 and 2012

Bo_Beck
01-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Just applied for Salt River for this spring, and will submit applications for Gates of Ladore, Yampa, Middle Fork Salmon, San Juan and 2012 Grand Canyon. Hoping for a Baggage Row down the Grand this fall? Anyone else got some plans too!

CarpeyBiggs
01-21-2011, 10:36 AM
hopefully a packraft on the dirty devil this spring (need some flows!) would like to do the "candylands 8" with a packraft in canyonlands too.

30 days on the grand in february.

Bo_Beck
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
hopefully a packraft on the dirty devil this spring (need some flows!) would like to do the "candylands 8" with a packraft in canyonlands too.

30 days on the grand in february.

Oh yeah! Forgot about that one too! Dan...I guess you'll be on the Grand in a couple weeks? Dave's going to be there with you I think. He's the one that has peaked my interest in Packrafting. I did Cataract with him in October. Maybe I'll see if I can hike down to Lava when you guys do some exchanges. Hope to see you?!
Bo

tanya
01-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Sounds fun! :clap:

Alex
01-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Got a Deso permit end of May, applied for Yampa/Lodore, and Salmon. Gonna try for Dolores and a bunch of WW trips.

CarpeyBiggs
01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
dave nally? there will be a good group hiking in at lava, be cool if you came down! hope to see you.

trackrunner
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
dave nally?

yep dnally

IntrepidXJ
01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Alex, if you ever have an open seat for a WW trip and need help with a shuttle or something....let me know....I'd love to do that run sometime :naughty: I'm just up the river :cool2:

Bo_Beck
01-22-2011, 06:49 AM
dave nally? there will be a good group hiking in at lava, be cool if you came down! hope to see you.

Yes, Dave Nally. I've had the pleasure of doing a fair amount of hiking with Dave, and 3 river trips. I'll try hard to get the day off that you all are doing the Lava Swap and hike down and maybe assist carrying out some gear? Cheers!
Bo

Bo_Beck
01-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Got a Deso permit end of May, applied for Yampa/Lodore, and Salmon. Gonna try for Dolores and a bunch of WW trips.

Jack Tillinghast (the fellow that Tanya and I did lower half GC with) suggested that he was putting together a Deso trip this spring with Dale "OC" and other "Old Timers", and that he'd let me know? I really look forward to any and all river trips this year. I'm hopelessly bittin' by the bug Alex!

tanya
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
OC Dale is Cool!!!!! On no! Another river rat! Bo and Alex both bitten!

Scott P
01-23-2011, 04:05 PM
I also applied for a San Juan permit.

Since I'm pretty busy in summer I haven't planned many river trips, but parts of the Upper Colorado, Yampa, Colorado R above Moab, Flaming Gorge and San Rafael are on the list. Mostly just standard stuff.

moab mark
01-23-2011, 06:43 PM
We put in for the m fork of the salmon. Hope we draw.

Alex
01-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Mark, what days did you apply for?

Bo, Deso permits are easy and the trips themselves are very straight forward in planning and execution. If you need help, let me know. I am a pro on Deso now :)

XJ, do you have a boat?

moab mark
01-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Mark, what days did you apply for?

Bo, Deso permits are easy and the trips themselves are very straight forward in planning and execution. If you need help, let me know. I am a pro on Deso now :)

XJ, do you have a boat?

I think we put in for around the 15th of July.
Alex have you had any experience with Vanguard rafts? I have a Hyde drift boat I am going to sell and have been looking at a new raft. My old raft has seen its better days. My buddies have bought several Vanguards and seem to really like them.

Mark

IntrepidXJ
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
XJ, do you have a boat?

No I don't.

Alex
01-25-2011, 12:59 PM
XJ, I will let you know if I have spots available for passengers.

Mark, we put in for July 14-17 for Main Salmon. MF should be great during that time.

Vanguards are decent boats. A lot of people use them and love them. They are glued PVC boats. I've heard good feedback about them though. If it's your first boat and you are just getting your feet wet, then a Vanguard package will be perfect.

My neighbor up the street just bought a Vanguard last year and he likes it. I am in love with my Maravia though and partially biased in my opinion :) You are welcome to come by my house and we can talk boats.

Sombeech
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM
I'll go on any river invite that Alex tells me about with more than @4 hours notice. :lol8:

ibenick
01-26-2011, 06:51 PM
I'll go on any river invite that Alex tells me about with more than @4 hours notice. :lol8:

I'll see his 4 hours notice and raise him $100. :haha:

Alex
01-27-2011, 11:01 AM

BS, you didn't come through on the last 4 invites! I need another bow bunny now

Sombeech
01-27-2011, 11:08 AM
BS, you didn't come through on the last 4 invites! I need another bow bunny now

You mean "Splash Guard"?

Bo_Beck
01-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Well..my Salt River (and Rich's, and Daves) permit request's were rejects! :-( Well I guess its time to get the boat packed up and ready to rush out to The Dirty Devil when the time comes! Still got apps. riding on San Juan, Gates of Ladore, Yampa, MF Salmon and The Grand!

Alex
01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
All my friends got rejections on the Salt :(

CarpeyBiggs
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
bo, are you guys going to packraft the dirty devil?

Bo_Beck
01-27-2011, 02:28 PM
bo, are you guys going to packraft the dirty devil?

IK's, and or Packrafts Yes.
dNally was in again today getting last minute stuff again. I guess Sonny will be showing up here a week from tomorrow, spend the night at Daves and then drive over to Lees Ferry together on Saturday. I'm going to try hard to get time off to hike down at Lava and see you guys? Hope your trip is awesome as it sounds!

CarpeyBiggs
01-27-2011, 02:42 PM
awesome. be great to see you if you can make it. i haven't met dave yet, looking forward to it. if he can still stand me after 30 days on the GC, i'd be interested in seeing if i could join y'all for the DD in the spring. i've been wanting to do it for years now...

Bo_Beck
01-28-2011, 06:04 AM
awesome. be great to see you if you can make it. i haven't met dave yet, looking forward to it. if he can still stand me after 30 days on the GC, i'd be interested in seeing if i could join y'all for the DD in the spring. i've been wanting to do it for years now...

Daves damn casual and very cool. I don't think he has an enemy in the world? My guess is that you'll hit it off well for the 30 days!

Heck yeah we'll let you know on the DD! Just have to be ready at a moments notice, which I honestly believe that you're always ready and willing to go?! Cheers Dan!

RedRoxx
01-29-2011, 04:19 AM
There is a lower section of the Salt that is usually easier to get a permit for, not as popular as the upper whitewater section. It's mostly calm water with a few significant rapids, one used to be tough but some guy blew it up with dynamite and did some time in prison for it. Still need a permit from the forest service not the tribe. Put in at Gleason Flat ( need 4wd vehicle) and take out at the Bridge before Lake Roosevelt. It's about 30 miles.
Here are some pics of some of that area, but it's from hiking in from some side canyons.

http://www.hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=118009

http://www.hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=118007

Bo_Beck
01-29-2011, 04:58 AM
There is a lower section of the Salt that is usually easier to get a permit for, not as popular as the upper whitewater section. It's mostly calm water with a few significant rapids, one used to be tough but some guy blew it up with dynamite and did some time in prison for it. Still need a permit from the forest service not the tribe. Put in at Gleason Flat ( need 4wd vehicle) and take out at the Bridge before Lake Roosevelt. It's about 30 miles.
Here are some pics of some of that area, but it's from hiking in from some side canyons.

http://www.hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=118009

http://www.hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=118007

Thank you for the info. Yeah....we were hoping to put in at the upper on the Res. Oh well...we have feelers out for several other rivers and hope is not lost yet. As Dan said, we're really hoping for The Dirty Devil as well and it should be running not long after what we had applied for on The Salt?

BTW: Gorgeous Pictures!