PDA

View Full Version : Internet Service

tallsteve
01-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Just curious what everyone is using for their internet service. I got Digis a few months ago and have been very unhappy as of late. I'm supposed to be getting 5Mbps down and 2 up but have only had 4 down on a couple of days. Most other times it's running at a slow 1.5-2Mbps. I had a tech come to the house and tell me the problem isn't within my home but at their local tower. They are supposed to do a tower equipment upgrade but that could be awhile and I don't want to wait. I've been running speedtest.net to check my speed and noticed yesterday that my download speed was a paltry 0.5Mbps. I call tech support and was informed my service had been "throttled down" because I had gone over my 60GB allotment for the billing cycle. I had never even heard about this. We've only tried watching a few streaming Netflix movies and a couple of HD movies from iTunes (which took HOURS to download). Anyway, sorry for the rant but I need to change but don't know what to get. I no longer have Quest in the house and have Dish Network for TV. So many here seem to be tech savvy. Any suggestions?

accadacca
01-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Comcast. Works great for me...

asdf
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Comcast
8.5down 3up

tallsteve
01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Can you get get Comcast internet only? I don't want their cable TV. What is it costing you (if you don't mind me asking)?

DiscGo
01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
I have comcast internet only.

accadacca
01-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't have my bill handy, but I would guess internet alone is around $55 and if you have cable TV with them its around $45.

Bad Karma
01-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I have comcast internet only. I use my own modem so I have a pricy setup fee, but it's about $53/month

homerj
01-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Everyone that has had digis I hear hates it.... Unless they moved from dial-up... I have comcast.

tallsteve
03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Sorry for the resurrect, but thought I'd post my results. I stuck it out with Digis a bit longer, but it only got worse. Most days I was lucky to even get 1Mbps and, as luck would have it, 1 week before my youngest son entered the MTC, it wouldn't work at all. He was trying to get some last minute things squared away, his address posted on facebook, etc., and he had to go to a buddy's house to do it. I was furious with Digis! So, after your recommendations, I signed up for the Comcast Xfinity internet only service. After using it for 1 week now, I am overjoyed at the speed I'm getting! I'm on their 15Mbps plan but it has never dropped below 20. The tech that did the install lives in my neighborhood and he says he never gets below 20 either and just to expect that. Happy, happy, happy! It was nice to watch a Netflix streaming video, via my Apple TV box, and not have it buffer even once. Thanks!

accadacca
03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry for the resurrect, but thought I'd post my results. I stuck it out with Digis a bit longer, but it only got worse. Most days I was lucky to even get 1Mbps and, as luck would have it, 1 week before my youngest son entered the MTC, it wouldn't work at all. He was trying to get some last minute things squared away, his address posted on facebook, etc., and he had to go to a buddy's house to do it. I was furious with Digis! So, after your recommendations, I signed up for the Comcast Xfinity internet only service. After using it for 1 week now, I am overjoyed at the speed I'm getting! I'm on their 15Mbps plan but it has never dropped below 20. The tech that did the install lives in my neighborhood and he says he never gets below 20 either and just to expect that. Happy, happy, happy! It was nice to watch a Netflix streaming video, via my Apple TV box, and not have it buffer even once. Thanks!
:2thumbs:

Deathcricket
03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Ahh yeah! I'm on Baja and its 12M for about $53. I love it too.... :haha:

REDFOX
03-15-2011, 06:46 PM
How much is the comcast xfinity ? I am ready to dump qwest.

tallsteve
03-16-2011, 06:52 AM
The 15Mbps is about $20 per month for the first 6 months.

accadacca
11-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Bump.

Has anyone heard of any new options lately? I have been with Comcast for about 10 years and I might make a switch. My wife has mentioned a company called CenturyLink? Has anyone tried them? I am in South Jordan, UT.

Who are you currently using for TV and Internet and what do you pay?

I am paying $52 for Internet and $75 for TV. Totaling $156 after tax and fees.

bbennett
11-05-2011, 10:57 AM
I believe Century Link is just Qwest, renamed. I had Qwest for home phone and internet, switched internet to Comcast for higher speed but now get a bill from Century Link for the phone.

accadacca
11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
How did Qwest perform for Internet? Was it fast enough? My concern with them is in running my Apple TV and streaming videos. I know Comcast is the fastest...I think.

double moo
11-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm on CenturyLink (Qwest) just ran tests with several sites - 13+ on the Downloads but a disappointing 0.6-7 on the uploads. We don't do much uploading so it doesn't seem to matter to us.

bbennett
11-05-2011, 02:04 PM
How did Qwest perform for Internet? Was it fast enough? My concern with them is in running my Apple TV and streaming videos. I know Comcast is the fastest...I think.

I had their top dsl service and was disappointed. I couldn't stream Netflix on my tv but didn't have too much trouble doing the same on my laptop. I got sick of plugging in my computer to my tv so I switched to comcast and the problem was solved. Now I'm on the boycott netflix bandwagon so I just torrent what I want to watch. My experience with those has been faster as well.

Scott Card
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I do not like CenturyLink. I regret the day we left comcast internet.

accadacca
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Is there anything that actually works close to as good as comcast? I haven't ever switched for this very reason. Its sounds like they still may dominate internet.

Deuce
11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I use http://www.veracitynetworks.com/ through the fiberoptic cable that runs through our neighborhood (Utopia ?)... I am happy with the service. Internet only $51 monthly

Added from the speed thread...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1579474315.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

hike2kolob
11-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I would rank them in this order 1) Utopia 2) Comcast 3) CenturyLink (Qwest DSL).

I don't have Utopia or Comcast available to me in Sandy, so I am with CenturyLink. It was horrible for a couple of years when they only had 1.5 Mbps available.

Under a year ago they made 12 Mbs available. It has been much better. I pay $60 per month for their fastest available for me (20Mbs), but I only get about 12Mbs. Upload is a horrible 0.8Mbs and ping is around 55ms.

Also, they have cut off my service 2 or 3 times for a very small handful of illegal music downloads being reported to them. I never have, but some household members might have. Who knows. It is a pain when suddenly they shut off your service and you have to make calls to get back online, which can take hours.

I keep calling Comcast every 6 mos to run a line to my house (up the street has it and down the street has it, but not me and 2 or 3 neighbors). :cry1: No luck.