PDA

View Full Version : Stink backpack

teancum
01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
So a few months ago I bought a backpack from a REI garage sale. The backpack was returned because it had a smell to it. I didn't think it would be to hard to fix and I really like the way the backpack looked and its price.

The backpack is a Cerro Torre Porter 40:
http://www.tylerdavis.com/sonicdev/v2_html/porter40.php

I have searched around and found out that a lot of their backpacks started to gather a smell to them :-( And the company looks to be out of business. I am guessing that selling a backpack that develops a skunk smell is a bad business practice. After searching around online I think that it is either the type of material used or a chemical that they used to waterproof the pack.

I have done everything I can think of to get the smell out... I even left it in a bath of bleech for 4 hours. It faded the color of the pack, but still smells. So before I throw the pack away I thought I would post my problem up here and see if anyone knew of an easy solution.

denaliguide
01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
vicks vaporub under your nose while hiking. problem solved. or you could let a cat pee on it.

teancum
01-14-2011, 02:09 PM
I think the cat urine would be a nice little upgrade.

I am probably going to end up trashing it... I just like the design to much to get it go that easy.

DOSS
01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Dont trash it.. give it to me :).. I will deal with a stinky pack HEHE :)..

there are some industrial oder removers out there too

teancum
01-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Are you ever in SLC... 45th south?

When the pack is closed I don't notice a smell... But I am a fade to pack anything in it because I don't want my gear to get this odor on it.

DOSS
01-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Are you ever in SLC... 45th south?

When the pack is closed I don't notice a smell... But I am a fade to pack anything in it because I don't want my gear to get this odor on it.

Every Monday and Wednesday afternoon -- well not this coming Monday (No School due to the holiday)

teancum
01-14-2011, 03:21 PM
TooeleCheroke - You have a private message.

Well that was easy to fix... Just give the backpack to some that appreciates the smell of skunk in the morning.

double moo
01-16-2011, 07:47 AM
go to any commercial cleaning store and explain he problem. They will sell you an enzyme concentrate that will remove the smell. I once found a new looking dog vest while out hunting and took it home. It was frozen stiff when I got it so no smell. The next morning the garage reeked of skunk and I had to put it outside in the cold again - I guess some hunting dog got into it with a skunk. Got the enzyme stuff and sprayed it to drenched status. Let it stand for a few hours and rinsed it off. This was 5 or 6 years ago and my dog still uses it - no scent what so ever... except wet dog smell!!