PDA

View Full Version : Orienteering?

xxnitsuaxx
01-12-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm directionally challenged. I have no problem admitting that. I'm also a mountaineer, canyoneer, and backpacker. It's been a problem in the past but I've been able to muddle through with just minor detours. This year I'm getting into the adventure racing circuit and orienteering is normally a big part of these races. What's the best way to learn good backcountry orienteering? I don't typically take classes but I'd be willing to in this case. Is there an orienteering "bible" I can pick up? I'd prefer teaching myself if possible.

Scott Card
01-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Might I suggest a compass? I find that when I know where North is things just seem a lot clearer. :lol8: (Sorry I couldn't resist).

I find that with a good GPS and a topo, it is hard to get lost. What do they let you take on an adventure race? I imagine weight is a big issue. I have found that walking with my nose in a map with a compass or gps I have become more able to read the maps and route find. Try it on familiar trails first and you will quickly learn to analyze a topo.

ratagonia
01-12-2011, 10:46 AM
It depends on whether you are talking about "on-sight" or on a route who's path you know in advance.

I have found that carefully tracing the route on the computer (on Topo!) is very good preparation for being out in the field.

Also, in general, map skills are vastly improved by practice.

One of my favorite snarky map-skills comments is: the key to using topo maps, is to pull out the map BEFORE you are lost.

Tom :moses:

DOSS
01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I would suggest finding a copy of the military orienteering manual.. pretty good stuff in there.. and then go out and do it.. if you have a friend that is good at orienteering have them go out into the hills and drop off some things for you and set up a practice course to find things.. make it a race or something so you have to think fast..

most of the people who do speed orienteering in races just use general directions and landmarks from their topo :)

peakbaggers
01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Simpler yet - a Boy Scout handbook. Has basic instructions on map, compass & orienteering. Of course, I'm relying on my experience from 40 years ago, but I assume the Boy Scouts continue to teach the same skills. Besides having to pass certain requirements in map reading, orienteering, etc for the ranks, I think there was also an orienteering merit badge at one time with an accompanying manual? In any case, I got all my basic skills through that training. It has never let me down. Also, don't rely too much on GPS. As others indicate here, learn how to "read" a topo map. Takes field practice. But all too often, I see people too reliant on GPS make "obvious" mistakes because they don't really understand the map. And like the "emperor" says, take the map out and look at it before you get lost! :nod: I'm sure this last quote will irritate a few, but as a retrogrouch peakbagger, I often write in summit registers, "Real climbers don't use GPS!" :haha:

blueeyes
01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
For Christmas last year I bought Spencer the book "Be Expert with Map & Compass The Complete Orienteering Handbook" by Bjorn Kjellstrom.

ratagonia
01-12-2011, 11:54 AM
For Christmas last year I bought Spencer the book "Be Expert with Map & Compass The Complete Orienteering Handbook" by Bjorn Kjellstrom.

And... did he make find his way back???

T :crazy:

blueeyes
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
yes.... every single time!!!! maybe I shouldn't have bought that book :haha:

denaliguide
01-12-2011, 12:08 PM

X2

Bo_Beck
01-12-2011, 12:12 PM
One term (method) in orienteering that I've found to be one of the most useful applications or methods in point to point navigation......Positive Error. Learn it and practice it.

Scott Card
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Also, don't rely too much on GPS. As others indicate here, learn how to "read" a topo map. Takes field practice. But all too often, I see people too reliant on GPS make "obvious" mistakes because they don't really understand the map. And like the "emperor" says, take the map out and look at it before you get lost! :nod: I'm sure this last quote will irritate a few, but as a retrogrouch peakbagger, I often write in summit registers, "Real climbers don't use GPS!" :haha: A lot of truth in that. I use the GPS to confirm where I think I am, aka right drainage before descend a canyon...etc. I hike with a topo and confirm with the GPS.

Iceaxe
01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
But all too often, I see people too reliant on GPS make "obvious" mistakes because they don't really understand the map.

Actually.... I'm guessing this is more that some people don't really understand what the GPS is telling them. Because if used correctly the GPS (at least the newer ones) is the map, and much more. A map is useless if you don't know how to read it, same can be said for a GPS.

I have found that carefully tracing the route on the computer (on Topo!) is very good preparation for being out in the field.
Also, in general, map skills are vastly improved by practice.
One of my favorite snarky map-skills comments is: the key to using topo maps, is to pull out the map BEFORE you are lost.

I agree with this completely.... Study the topo BEFORE doing the route and follow along on the map of where you are at, not after you are lost. You should have a picture in your mind of what a known route looks like before you begin.

Anyone new to GPS should do a little geocaching (http://www.geocaching.com/). It's a fun game to play with your GPS that will teach you some useful skills and give you confidence in reading your GPS.

zion6566
01-13-2011, 07:46 PM
What I like to do (when showing others how to navigate on a topo) is find an overlook or a point where I have a view of several landscape features. Then I set a topo-map down on a flat surface and line it up to magnetic north (make sure you take into account mag variance vs. true north or you'll be off by 12 or so degrees, enough to get lost on!! Magnetic North on the Map will then match N on the compass, this technique won't work otherwise). I identify three features I can locate on the map (peaks, lake edges, canyon ridges) and triangulate my position. I do this by getting the mag heading from my position to the identified feature and then trace a light line on the map with a flat edge of a compass (oh yeah, you need a compass with an edge. A scout compass or military one has the straight edge) from the heading to well past where I think I am. Do this two more times. Where the three lines intercept is your approx position. Next put a dot on the map at the location where you want to go. Then trace a line between your approx position and where you want to go. That line is your heading (or the direction you want to go) to your heading. (You find the heading by keeping the straight edge on this traced line and rotating the compass head to match North with the N arrow (I know I'm making this painfully basic). Make sure your have the north arrow pointing correctly or you'll be 180 degress off. I then make whomever I am with navigate using pace counts (dependant on the terrain, for me usually about 800 paces per 1 km + 200 rough, - 200 smooth). Unpassible terrain between you and your destination complicate the picture. After a while you'll pick it up to where you can eyeball it, but this method works when you're in thick timber (after you've gotten your bearing).

xxnitsuaxx
01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Might I suggest a compass? I find that when I know where North is things just seem a lot clearer. :lol8: (Sorry I couldn't resist).

Isn't north always uphill? That's been my general rule :)

Thanks guys - suggestions have been invaluable. My canyoneering partners thank everyone too.

denaliguide
01-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Isn't north always uphill? That's been my general rule :)

no, no, no, to find north always walk into the wind or rain or sleet or snow. it is merely coincidence that it is also always uphill.