PDA

View Full Version : ice

asdf
01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5082/5331954700_64a3de9aab_b.jpg

blueeyes
01-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Wow! This is my second fav pic of yours, I still love that one you let me have for a screen saver the best. Sadly that laptop stayed with Weber.

americanhero
01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
This is so awesome. :2thumbs:
I really love the shot. Especially the lighting on the ice is outstanding.
I can't wait until Lake Erie here in Western New York freezes over. Normally it's happening in February and sometimes you literally could walk from Buffalo to Detroit. It's always great for snowshoeing.
How about the Great Salt Lake or Utah Lake? Do they ever freeze over completely? And is the ice thick enough to walk on it?

DARWIN
01-07-2011, 11:09 AM
awsome shot :2thumbs:

asdf
01-07-2011, 12:00 PM
How about the Great Salt Lake or Utah Lake? Do they ever freeze over completely? And is the ice thick enough to walk on it?

The Great Salt Lake will never freeze due to the high salt content but it does get plenty cold out there.

This photo is Utah Lake, yes the ice does set up enough to walk on but only in certain areas and times of the year.. its really not something I would suggest doing. The south end has some warm spring in the lake and can make it very dangerous. Utah lake is also pretty shallow and any wind causes movement and the ice to buckle. The area I tend to shoot the most is where the warmer waters of the Provo River feed into the lake.
My Utah Lake Set - http://darckr.com/set?setid=72157601808297110&submit=display+a+set

americanhero
01-07-2011, 12:39 PM
The Great Salt Lake will never freeze due to the high salt content but it does get plenty cold out there.

right, but I guess there are still a lot of photo options without freezing :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

This photo is Utah Lake, yes the ice does set up enough to walk on but only in certain areas and times of the year.. its really not something I would suggest doing. The south end has some warm spring in the lake and can make it very dangerous. Utah lake is also pretty shallow and any wind causes movement and the ice to buckle.

Same here with the movement and ice piling up. The only difference, Lake Erie almost freezes over completely in most years. And it's safe enough to walk on the ice. We'll see, maybe I'm posting a few shots

The area I tend to shoot the most is where the warmer waters of the Provo River feed into the lake.
My Utah Lake Set - http://darckr.com/set?setid=72157601808297110&submit=display+a+set

Awesome set of pictures. A lot of them I saw on Flickr as well. I wish we had such great sunsets in winter.
It's mostly overcast or it's snowing... :roll:

p40whk
01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Summit, you should start a photography/hiking/canyoneering service. I'll bet many people would love to learn what you have and see the places you shoot as well.

Well done!

americanhero
01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Summit, you should start a photography/hiking/canyoneering service. I'll bet many people would love to learn what you have and see the places you shoot as well.

Well done!

:2thumbs::haha::haha::haha::2thumbs:

wes242
01-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Awesome picture! I need to get out and get some sunset shots, its been too long.

Philippe
01-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Awesome shot ! :clap:

I had a look on your Flickr galleries. You do so excellent photography (very nice shots and then adequate post processing) that I wonder if you are a professionnal photographer ?

Philippe

asdf
01-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Awesome shot ! :clap:
I had a look on your Flickr galleries. You do so excellent photography (very nice shots and then adequate post processing) that I wonder if you are a professionnal photographer ?

Thanks Philippe, I'm not a professional.
Just a guy who enjoys being outside with a camera. :cool2:

Philippe
01-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Just a guy who enjoys being outside with a camera. :cool2:

...and who kows the very best way to use it ! :hail2thechief:

Philippe