PDA

View Full Version : I said NO!

tanya
01-06-2011, 06:51 AM
When is it sexual harassment? Choose as many as you want.

News Article -
5 things Brett Favre should know about sexual harassment

Not all women who touch you are prostitutes. When a personal trainer or team admin hires massage therapists for a sports team, she's not searching for candidates on Craigslist. They're not available to you just because you're an athlete, or because your team pays them.
Text messages aren't actually private. Neither are emails. Or voice mails. Not only do copies remain on servers in several places, once the message leaves your phone or computer, you have no control over where the recipient sends it -- or whether she saves it and shows it to her lawyer.
There's a fine line between flirting and sexual harassment (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/flirting-at-work-when-is-it-sexual-harassment-1097680). If you're not sure if you've crossed it, then you've probably crossed it. Here's a guideline: If it makes the other person uncomfortable, or if someone overhears you and it makes them uncomfortable, then it is not flirting.
No means no. Do we really need to explain that in greater detail?
Not all instances of sexual harassment involve the libido. Making demeaning comments about women also counts as sexual harassment, according to the experts at Nolo.com (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29851.html).

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/5-things-brett-favre-should-know-about-sexual-harassment-2436349/;_ylt=AutY3sYoYqKjUs0g_iqFwDFabqU5

canyoncaver
01-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Also, for those of you in Wyoming:

Baaaa means NO!

Sombeech
01-06-2011, 07:44 AM
It's not harrassment if she's not sober enough to say no.

Deathcricket
01-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Her mouth said no, but her eyes said "yes".

Jaxx
01-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Your spouse says no to sex but you do it anyway?

:roflol::cry1:

p40whk
01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
In management, I have to go through sexual harassment training on a routine basis. Many of the things you have listed "could" constitute sexual harassment but only if the advances are not welcome. This is the big qualifier here, your boss could ask you out to dinner but whats to say you weren't flirting with him/her? Relationships happen all the time at work that are not considered sexual harassment but can turn that way if an employee feels pressure.

Talking about sex at work may also not be sexual harassment if both people discussing it are having a mutual conversation, on the other hand, if someone that overhears this conversation is offended then it can be grounds for harassment. Probably not a wise choice of topics at the work place anyway!

The most blatant on your list is "You make comments at work about co-workers looks or actions?" This can get you fired.

The laws are very specific regarding this and all employees/people should read and understand them.

dbaxter
01-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I think the line gets crossed when someone is asked to stop their behavior and it doesn't end. In my case, I asked the person to stop touching me (even on the shoulder) and asking me out repeatedly. After the third or fourth time of me asking him to stop, I went to the managers who took my side BECAUSE I had asked him to stop. (I also had dates and specific instances, which helped.) Any way, all of those things could be harrassment, or none of them. The exception is the spouse doing it anyway...that's rape. :nono:

ratagonia
01-06-2011, 05:32 PM
It's not harrassment if she's not sober enough to say no.

True enough. That would be called rape.

:moses:

bbennett
01-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Her ass meant nothing to me.

canyonphile
01-06-2011, 08:52 PM
What about the asshole classmate (in medical school, no less) that, when he talked to women students, stared at their chests instead of looking them in the eye? Stupid creepy jackass....:angryfire:

During my first year in medical school, another classmate (an Iranian Jew) that I friended within the first few days of starting class, took advantage of my friendly nature, and tried to force himself on me when we were at my flat studying. I had repeatedly told him "NO!", but he didn't listen. I ended up in tears, and later, when I asked him why he continued to paw on me when I told him to stop it. He said: "Sometimes, when a woman says 'no', she means 'yes'." Um, sorry, you worthless sack of crap, but NO always means NO! Any woman who says "no" when she means "yes" needs to be bitch-slapped. In the event something like that started to happen again, there would be a swift knee, foot, or fist to the groin if "NO!" didn't work immediately. I was engaged at the time, and when my fiance finally found out about it (after he asked why I had such vitrol towards this guy), I told him. I had to beg and plead Richard (fiance) not to drive up from Tucson to SF and shoot him...he was going to. Later, he blamed me for the event, and was convinced that I had lied and that the guy had raped me. No surprise our marriage didn't last long, and he probably still believes to this day I was lying. :roll:

I've dealt with sexual harassment several other times, much of it when I was in medical school, and from attendings, even. I never reported it, not because I was afraid of repercussions, but because it was easier to ignore and didn't have any influence on my clinic grade...although, "Al", chief of the surgical dept. used me as a scapegoat for his failed marriage when I was doing my residency [he had married her when she was a resident] and tried hard to make me look clinically incompetent by bullying, and was key in having me put on probation...twice...during my residency. I had the last laugh when getting me kicked out of the program didn't work, because the poo he flung didn't stick :haha:. To all men out there: if you are in the middle of a mid-life crisis, don't take it out on female subordinates. I found out later he started dating a student, and was forced to step down as head of the dept :fitz::flipa::lol8:.

Even at our medical school graduation party, where we got to roast the attendings in skits and such, one of the biomechanics professors, who was clearly drunk out of his gore, came up to me as my two best friends and I walked in, and slurred: "you're reeeeealy sexy!" :roll::eek2: If he was a major hottie instead of an old, fat man who chain smoked I probably wouldn't have been as grossed out as I was.

When I was in high school and worked at a Little Caesar's Pizza, the store manager was this really creepy, gross bisexual dude named Doug. He made a really lewd comment to me at work one time, and when I rejected his other "advances", he made my life difficult at work. When I told co-workers, everyone was surprised, as it was usually the male co-workers (peons, like I was) that he made suggestive comments to, and he certainly came across as homosexual 90% of the time.

In light of all that I dealt with, I pretty much have to agree with dbaxter, and that all, or none, of the choices on the poll could be deemed as sexual harassment, depending upon the circumstances. I'd say that most of those things, at face value, wouldn't bother me. But, if the comments, gestures or advances are unwelcome and make the recipient feel uncomfortable, it's probably sexual harassment.

Despite all these incidences, I know they are isolated to creepy douches, and that most men are decent, respectful and honorable and wouldn't treat any woman like that.

savanna3313
01-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Tanya - didn't you hear? Those text photos of Favre were meant for his wife, but they got intercepted...... :roll:

:haha:

tanya
01-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Oh, yeah. Sounds like what most would say. :lol8:

bbennett
01-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Tanya - didn't you hear? Those text photos of Favre were meant for his wife, but they got intercepted...... :roll:

:haha:

Nice!:lol8: