PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Crossing the Line at FreezeFest 9 - Video

CarpeyBiggs
01-04-2011, 05:45 AM
http://vimeo.com/18415948

if you didn't cross the line at freezefest ix, you weren't there... and if you
weren't there, don't ask. it was UGLY (but funny!)

at any rate, i just rolled back into salt lake tonight. a brief report - crazy
conditions at the fest. perhaps worse than last year? certainly colder. temp
was 16 degrees at the parking lot heading into the hole, and a whopping 23 when
we got out. but all got through in fine form, with huge smiles and much relief!

i'll let ram tell the story of the hole, since he is the only one with any
chance to compare the logjam situation, and the unique conditions encountered.
it gave us a lot of pause before heading in. there was serious talk of
canceling the thing. but after rich rudow, aaron, and ram set ropes on the
exit, i think there was a renewed sense of confidence, and it was game on.

conditions through out my week were all over the map. beautiful the first day,
but a bit cold. next day was crazy rain and tent shredding wind that lasted 36
hours or something? turned to deep freeze and snow that night, and then dawned
clear and FRIGGIN' COLD for the last few.

a bunch of us had plans to stay until the 5th. a few were sick, a few no longer
had anything to wear that wasn't frozen solid, and a few simply lacked the
motivation to stay (can they be faulted?) denali mike, mmac, and break-a-yo-face did a shimmy-shimmy-ya this morning with jason and nate, and they will be the last
freezefesters to leave.

another awesome fest in the books, with tons of new folks (and a lot of regulars
strangely absent?) great to spend time with everyone again, even if the rain
and snow prevented us from sharing too many campfires and canyons together.

it's 2011 - live large.

Sombeech
01-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Excellent footage. Looks like another trip with great memories.

Don
01-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Dude. Really nice work on the vid. Thanks for sharing!

Live large. Love it.

tanya
01-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Like the song says... "What am I doing here"

How many of you were thinking that. :clap: Great video and crazy COLD fun!

ibenick
01-04-2011, 07:54 AM
GREAT video!

lisa
01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Great video Dan! When all my canyon gear was frozen solid, it was time for me to leave the fest and go find a hot spring. Now I am at home missing Freezefest. :mrgreen:

tanya
01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi lisa! Welcome to the group! Nice to see another woman in here!

Canyonbug
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs:

ratagonia
01-04-2011, 01:13 PM
it's 2011 - live large.

Thank you for NOT including the footage of me running away like a little girl!!!

Awesome film Dan. Another Living Large Winna!

T :moses:

Scott Card
01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
:lol8: Loved the video. :2thumbs: Ah man, I can't believe I didn't make it this year. :cry1: My string of 4 or 5 (I can't remember) in a row is broken.

Bad Karma
01-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Great Video Dan! What is the name/artist of the 2nd song?

CarpeyBiggs
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
thanks for the comments all! it was a great trip this year, but one of those i hope doesn't repeat for FFX. aaron and malia have been joking that "it has to be warm one of these years, right?"

music is "hide and seek" by imogen heap for the timelapses, and "another happy new year" by spirit of the west for the black hole.

IntrepidXJ
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Great video :2thumbs:

Brian in SLC
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Great stuff!

Reaffirmation of a wise choice to freeze my arse off rock climbing instead...

Well done!

blueeyes
01-04-2011, 10:01 PM
I didn't read all of the comments, paused the video to find out who sang the second song. Love that type of music so thanks for an awesome video and a new band to listen to (next time I will read all the comments first). Favorite part of the video (other than the fireworks) was when the camera was behind you(??) and it made your movements look like a mechanical toy oh and the person crawling on the ice and falling through... oh and the sliding down the snow.

wndoguy
01-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Great video dan! My 2 days at the fest were great. I don't know if I'm bummed or relieved missing the black hole. guy

Deathcricket
01-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Yet another awesome video by Dan! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

The time lapse stuff is priceless man. Especially the one with the sun coming over the horizon and falling on the earth. I got goosebumps man! Also great song selection and general vibe of the video. Looks like you guys had a blast and made the best of the fest. Hehehe.

oldno7
01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Great Video Dan
You should get a "job" producing....................
Nah. WTF was I thinking, sorry for the bad 3 letter word.:mrgreen:

accadacca
01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Great stuff! Canyoneers = Loco! :crazycobasa:

:eek2: :2thumbs:

Brewhaha
01-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Very, very nice.

Jammer
01-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Absolutely great footage. Really good stuff. I kept getting cold watching it until I was warmed by a big ball of fire!

- Jamal

PS - You guys are crazy!

kaverkev
01-07-2011, 10:33 PM
This is the most fun canyoneering video I have ever seen. I wish I was there.

Mountaineer
01-13-2011, 08:47 AM
I pulled in with my 2 sons and a friend to do a canyon in the snow, and was surprised to see so many people. We thought we would be solo on such a cold day. But what a great tradition to have. I loved the video.

We ended up doing Leprechaun and had a blast. Thanks for all the advice from those that were there.

Cirrus2000
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey - cool that you stopped by here, Mountaineer! Hope we weren't too noisy by the fire that night... How did the canyon go? Everyone warm enough? Any problems going through? Glad you had a blast!

Kev

tylerhirshfeld
01-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Freekin Awesome Video! :clap:

Mountaineer
01-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi - thanks for reaching out. No, not at all noisy, we would have come by and said hi longer but got in late.

It was very cold on the ridge. I had a small stove to warm up the kids for a bit, which helped. My nine year old wanted to turn back on the ridge, but once we dropped in it was surprisingly warmer and we all did fine. We managed to stem the walls to keep out of the puddles. It took us ~5 hours to do the canyon, longer than most, but that included "warm up" time, and putting on and off harnesses. We did Blarney a few weeks prior, it got down to 10F then, but warmed up to 40F during the hike which was perfect.

Hey - cool that you stopped by here, Mountaineer! Hope we weren't too noisy by the fire that night... How did the canyon go? Everyone warm enough? Any problems going through? Glad you had a blast!

Kev

JONBOYLEMON
01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
I am not sure why this has not come up yet..................... But................. you guys have something seriously wrong in your heads.......... that does not look fun at all. That looks like an absolute riot!!!!!! Some year, is gonna be the year I do a real canyon.

And cheers on the fantastic video!!!!! Truly outstanding work.:cold::cold::cold:

Tucker
01-27-2011, 04:39 PM

ratagonia
01-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Man that was a great video!! :hail2thechief: Thanks for sharing. I've never been there in the winter...looks like a blast! What was in the pot they dumped in the fire?

Sorry man, trade secret... T

Cirrus2000
01-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Sorry man, trade secret... T

Ratagonia on a Rampage!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_O_8PLe3Zn6g/TUI_90Q6YSI/AAAAAAAAajU/BaghROuzmys/s720/IMG_6210-1.JPG

jman
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Ratagonia on a Rampage!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_O_8PLe3Zn6g/TUI_90Q6YSI/AAAAAAAAajU/BaghROuzmys/s720/IMG_6210-1.JPG

Hahaha good one Kevin!

ratagonia
01-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Hahaha good one Kevin!

You wanna know what was in that pot - OK, I'll tell ya. Water. Apple Juice. Seltzer. :angryfire:

Happy now? :eek2:

T :moses:

tyrel27
02-01-2011, 06:56 PM
That looks awesome, but absolutley cold! Currently I reside in Coeur d alene, Idaho and we are a 6 degrees right now. I am not sure if the goose bumps that I have are from watching this video or from the cold my home is surrounded by, but the that was a great video, veiws of areas I may never see! AWESOME!

Brian in SLC
02-01-2011, 09:42 PM
That looks awesome, but absolutley cold! Currently I reside in Coeur d alene, Idaho and we are a 6 degrees right now.

Well, here's the forecast for you:

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 10. Calm wind.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 30. Calm wind.
Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 18. East wind between 3 and 6 mph.
Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 33. Southeast wind around 6 mph.

Here's the forecast for Salt Lake City:

Overnight: Clear, with a low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -13. Calm wind becoming east between 4 and 7 mph.
Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 21. Wind chill values as low as -12. East southeast wind 5 to 9 mph becoming northwest.
Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 9. Wind chill values as low as -2. Northwest wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.
Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 29. Wind chill values as low as -2. Southeast wind between 5 and 7 mph.

Yeah, its cold. Not sure I'm glad we're beatin' you for the chill.

I guess our excuse is we're at almost twice your elevation.

Brrrr!

mrbrejcha
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
This video is awesome too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmNzV_h1F0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmNzV_h1F0)

biophase
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow, awesome video. While I like canyoneering and can take alot of cold, I felt cold just watching the video. Don't know if I can enjoy that especially without a nice warm hotel to go back to.