Scientists report link between autism, freeway proximity

By Shari Roan

Los Angeles Times
Published Dec 16, 2010 07:14PM
Updated 1 minute ago Updated Dec 16, 2010 07:48PM

Los Angeles

luthier
12-19-2010, 06:59 PM
These kind of articles make science look bad. What is it about freeways? The noise? Then pollution? The convenience? It's only convincing if they can find non-freeway areas with similar pollution and link that to higher incidences of autism. What's the frequency of autism in China, where the air is safe to breathe only in comparison to Mars?

ratagonia
12-21-2010, 09:53 AM
These kind of articles make science look bad. What is it about freeways? The noise? Then pollution? The convenience? It's only convincing if they can find non-freeway areas with similar pollution and link that to higher incidences of autism. What's the frequency of autism in China, where the air is safe to breathe only in comparison to Mars?

This is an excellent example of good science, and how it works. Slowly. One tiny piece at a time. They have noted a correlation. Causation? a few suspects, but that is not the thrust of the study, not even the edge of the study. I am glad to see the writer did not overly emphasize their speculation on possible causes.

Science works slowly. That science does not immediately have the answers is one of its strengths, not a weakness.

Tom :moses:

DiscGo
12-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I posted this same article on my family website. In California we used to live directly across the street from the Freeway. My brother told me that judging by his brothers, he would have thought that freeway proximity was more likely to cause ugly. I thought it was pretty funny.

accadacca
12-23-2010, 09:00 AM
In California we used to live directly across the street from the Freeway.
Boy does that explain a lot DiscGo. :haha: