PDA

View Full Version : A request from Wayne County SAR

Iceaxe
12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Wayne County SAR asked me to pass this little tid-bit along to the canyoneering community, and it sounds like good advice to me.... personally I always print off a map of my route and leave it with my check-in person. My thinking was they could easily fax or email it if they are required to call out the calvary.

Shane, Thank you. Providing Wayne County SAR with information is invaluable to us. One tip that would help us, if you could pass it along, is that most people who use your site print off a route map. If they could make an extra copy and leave it on their dashboard so we could see it through their windshield without entering their vehicle then we would know where to begin a search should they be overdue. Again thank you for all your help.

Don Adams

Anyhoo.... anything that helps SAR is probably a good idea..... YMMV... :cool2:

Jaxx
12-16-2010, 01:31 PM
P.S. Stop getting f#$%ing lost and hurt in my jurisdiction.

Scott Card
12-16-2010, 01:45 PM
I guess I have mixed views on this request. Seems like a good idea to begin with but it also seems like an invite to the would be burglar. "Hey, I'm in such-and-such canyon." I would rather them think I could show up at any time. I don't know, I guess I am OK with a busted window on my truck by SAR to save me rather than have my trip plan for all the world to see. I guess if I need SAR, I probably deserve a broken window too.:haha:

Iceaxe
12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
It's been my experience that robberies and vandalism at trailheads are usually locals that have a good idea of where you probably are and when you are likely to return. And locals in rural Utah are usually armed so catching them in the act might not work out that great unless you are up for an armed confrontation.

FWIW: The trailheads in Cedar Mesa and Escalante have both had some vehicle break ins that I know of.... and.... "borrowing" beer out of someone's cooler that was left under the truck doesn't count as an actual theft.... :haha:

ratagonia
12-16-2010, 04:19 PM
It's been my experience that robberies and vandalism at trailheads are usually locals that have a good idea of where you probably are and when you are likely to return. And locals in rural Utah are usually armed so catching them in the act might not work out that great unless you are up for an armed confrontation.

FWIW: The trailheads in Cedar Mesa and Escalante have both had some vehicle break ins that I know of.... and.... "borrowing" beer out of someone's cooler that was left under the truck doesn't count as an actual theft.... :haha:

An armed society is a polite society, I hear. Gotta put up with a little theft and vandalism now and then - yet another reason not to be out-gunned.
:naughty:

Tom

Ryebrye
12-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Shane, Thank you. Providing Wayne County SAR with information is invaluable to us. One tip that would help us, if you could pass it along, is that most people who use your site print off a route map. If they could make an extra copy and leave it on their dashboard so we could see it through their windshield without entering their vehicle then we would know where to begin a search should they be overdue. Again thank you for all your help.

Don Adams

In other words:

Shane, most people who get lost use beta from your site. Please have them print out an extra copy and leave it on their dash. Thanks.

:fitz::roflol:

Iceaxe
12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
What can I say.... some folks manage to get lost at the Mall... ya can't fix stupid....

Chungy22
12-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info! I don't think I have ever heard of leaving the beta in the window so that SAR can see it. Wouldn't it be better to leave it in a zip-lock under the wind-shield or something?

Chungy22
12-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Sorry, I meant Wind-shield wiper!? LOL