PDA

View Full Version : Wahweap Hoodos via Cottonwood Road?

jdgibney
12-07-2010, 09:36 AM
My first post (save for my introductory newb post), so please bear with me :)

We are planning a very short late January trip to southern Utah/northern Arizona to hike to the Wave. We have one day before and one day after free and on the day before, we'd like to check out the Wahweap Hoodoos (weather permitting). I've read that you can access the Hoodoos via Cottonwood Road but the last info I could find was from last spring and there were questions on the conditions of these roads. I'm wondering if anyone hear has been there recently and knows if we'd have a shot to get there via the short hike. our plan is to try to get to them while the light is still low for some good photography before heading down to Page to check out Lower Antelope Canyon.

I hope I posted this in the right section. Thanks in advance!
-Josh

Richie
12-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Last info I heard was that CCR is cloesd because of a rock-slide 10 miles north of Highway 89. The turnoff for the Wahweap Hoodoos would be before that rock slide (BLM 431 - the turnoff isabout 1,2 miles when you're coming from the south). I'm not sure if they completly closed CCR or if you're able to drive to turn off.

Hope someone has better information

Richie

jdgibney
12-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Last info I heard was that CCR is cloesd because of a rock-slide 10 miles north of Highway 89. The turnoff for the Wahweap Hoodoos would be before that rock slide (BLM 431 - the turnoff isabout 1,2 miles when you're coming from the south). I'm not sure if they completly closed CCR or if you're able to drive to turn off.

Hope someone has better information

Richie

Thanks, Richie! Welcome to the forum, fellow newbie! Just read you were planning a trip out there too, hope all goes well!

oldno7
12-07-2010, 09:47 AM
No one will be able to tell you road conditions out there, that far in advance. This road is mostly on grey clay, and can become impassable when wet.
It is quite a long drive once you turn off the Cottonwood road.

Richie
12-07-2010, 09:56 AM
It is quite a long drive once you turn off the Cottonwood road.

I've done that road. If in good condition (!!!!!!) it's an easy drive and to me it didn't seem so long. If I remember correctly it was about 10 miles from CCR.

No one will be able to tell you road conditions out there, that far in advance.

Sure, you're absolutely right. Sometimes you can't tell from one day to the next if a thunderstorm comes down over the dirt road. :mrgreen:

Thanks, Richie! Welcome to the forum, fellow newbie! Just read you were planning a trip out there too, hope all goes well!

Thank you.

tanya
12-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi Josh,

Winter is the worst because even if its not raining or snowing, then snow on the side of the road is often melting onto the middle of the road. That road is horrible when wet. The hike itself might be really muddy too in the winter since its through a shallow wash. As Kurt said, you cannot know in advance on that road, its hit and miss in the wet months. I love this hike and its certainly not a mid-summer's hike. It's more of a spring or fall in dry conditions sort of thing. I don't post it, but there is a short cut drive to it. I think the hike is easy enough that people should do it to get to them. I think the road out to it however would be bad in the winter. It's remote and dirt - or mud depending on the day. It took Bo and I a couple of times out there to find the short cut, but really --- the hike is wonderful. Don't do the short cut even if you find it. It is published a friend of mines book. (hint - French photography book)

http://www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm

asdf
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Listen to the new guy Kurt, you may learn a thing or two about southern Utah :lol8:

I have a trip planned to the area in late February and I already have plans A B and C depending on weather/road conditions.

jdgibney
12-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Tanya, thank you for writing and sharing a beautiful shot :) . I have all three of the books (assuming you're talking about what I think you're talking about), and they have been my main inspiration for exploring and have me even considering trying to find a way to temporarily move to the southwest (possibly Colorado with a friend) as a base to explore/photograph more. I'm re-considering trying this during the winter, and saving for another trip (of which I hope there will be plenty more) to the Southwest.

Any suggestions on what we can do the day before we hike to the wave instead? our basic itinerary is:
Sunday evening, arrive in Vegas from the east coast (me from NH and my best bud from DC), drive up to St. George for the night... Monday we were going to try to check out the Wahweap Hoodoos in the early morning and then head to Page (where we're staying Monday night) and explore Lower Antelope Canyon... I suppose we can just drive to Page and check out the canyons and relax/save our energy for Tuesday when we're hiking to the Wave and exploring CBN...
Tuesday night we're staying in Kanab, hitting Coral Pink Sand Dunes for sunrise/early morning, then driving to Valley of Fire for afternoon/sunset and then hanging out in Vegas Wednesday night...

tanya
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Ah! A photographer! I should have read your post carefully. You want to get there and take pictures. Yes, I am sure you are thinking of the same book as I. It is well done with spectacular photos. There are hoodoos similar to the Wahweep hoodoos, the Rimrock Hoodoos, which are found just off the highway. Those you can go and photograph in the winter. The description is on the bottom of the page I gave you.

South Coyote Buttes offers great photos. Check out White Pocket as well. Bo and I went often in the winter. You will need a good 4WD for that adventure.

Red Cave is another option. If you like Antelope Canyon, you will like this one. Its a rough 4WD out there though. Crossing the river in the winter might be an issue, so perhaps this one too is best left for another time of the year. Bo and I got stuck in the river once in my land rover when there was too much water in the river.

Check out this list - These are all in the general area of the Wahweap hoodoos

If Skutumpah is in good shape, Willis Creek is easy and the photographs are spectacular!!!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gshike.htm

jdgibney
12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Oh, wow, Tanya, Willis Creek does look amazing! If not on this quick trip, I'll have to look into that in the near future! That ZNP Website is a great resource!
thank you!

tanya
12-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Thank you and you are welcome. I am updating it so soon it will be better.

Bo and I have a book coming out soon too. The publisher is putting the final touches on it right now.

Richie
12-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I love Willis Creek too. It's a short and easy but beautiful hike. What's also beautiful and located close to the Wave is area that some people call Brown Pocket. Loved that one too.

Richie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richie
12-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Listen to the new guy Kurt, you may learn a thing or two about southern Utah :lol8:

Hope I didn't say something wrong. It sounds a little bit ironic. Or did I get it wrong?

Richie

tanya
12-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Never heard of the Brown Pocket. Is there Beta on the net?

tanya
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Did you see the hikes we have at the Dunes? There are a couple of pictographs that are nice. One short and the rock art is fenced in. The other remote.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sdhike.htm

Richie
12-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Never heard of the Brown Pocket. Is there Beta on the net?

Sorry English is not my native language so what is Beta?

I can provide some pictures when I'm at home ( here in Germany it' time to work). The area I'm talking about is a brainrocks area north of CBN.

tanya
12-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Beta is not really English I would say. lol

Beta is simply directions or information to a climb, hike, canyon, ect...

Ah! Brainrocks I have heard of thanks! I might take a run out there this Winter. Thanks!

Bo_Beck
12-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Somewhat on your way to Page as well, but once again wet/dry road conditions may decide for you as to feasability? Cobra Arch is pretty cool, and the hike in to it isn't too difficult.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/paria-cobra-arch.htm

wes242
12-08-2010, 08:30 AM
We are planning a very short late January trip to southern Utah/northern Arizona to hike to the Wave.

My wife and I will be hitting the Wave for the first time this January too, on the 25th. I am just hoping there are no random blizzards at that time. I always got to slip in a winter hike somewhere cause I get cabin fever. I am crossing my fingers for great weather and good roads, but still taking the gas hog 4 wheel drive just to be on the safe side.

jdgibney
12-08-2010, 09:23 AM
My wife and I will be hitting the Wave for the first time this January too, on the 25th. I am just hoping there are no random blizzards at that time. I always got to slip in a winter hike somewhere cause I get cabin fever. I am crossing my fingers for great weather and good roads, but still taking the gas hog 4 wheel drive just to be on the safe side.

Right on! We're also going on the 25th. My best bud and I are renting a 4wd SUV, hopefully that'll be good enough for the trek! We're crashing in Page Monday night and plan on getting to the road to Wire Pass by sunrise. Haven't planned out the day yet though...

Richie
12-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Ah! Brainrocks I have heard of thanks! I might take a run out there this Winter. Thanks! Ok. I promised some pictures so here we go :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: I really love brainrocks stuff so I really enjoyed that hike. But I'm not sure if other people would like it the same. So don't blame me if you're disappointed :mrgreen:

The start of the hike is at the Buckskin Trailhead on HRVR. Just follow the wash. After a while the walls are coming closer then they open again. After a while the walls are coming closer again and it fells like walking through a gate. Here's a picture of this part:

In some distance you see a round shaped dome. The brainrocks are just in front of that mountain. Either you follow the wash until there's a sandy wash coming from the left side. Follow that wash for a few hundred yards before hiking up the slickrock to the right. Or you just walk cross country with the mountain in front of you.

Here's what it looks like there:

This is the dome shaped mountain I was talking about but now from a closer view:

In distance you can even see the Top Rock in the CBN area, so it's really worth hiking up the mountain:

Other direction (HRVR):

Philippe
12-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Hello Tanya !

Are you thinking about the 3 guidebooks to which I collaborated (PTS) ? In that case, thank you for your comment.

You and Bo will publish a guide book ? It will probably be as good as is your wonderful website, I can't wait to buy it during my next trip in the Southwest (probably in My / June 2011) if it is not available before on Amazon.fr

I love your picture of Willis Creek with the 2 girls !

Have a nice day

Philippe, your french big fan !

wes242
12-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Right on! We're also going on the 25th. My best bud and I are renting a 4wd SUV, hopefully that'll be good enough for the trek! We're crashing in Page Monday night and plan on getting to the road to Wire Pass by sunrise. Haven't planned out the day yet though...

What are the odds of that! We are taking a 5 day trip that way, but haven't really planned out the details yet. Not sure if we are going to stay in Kanab or Page yet, but I guess I better get things booked and ready. I would love to be there at Sunrise also and spend the day till sunset. We will be in a White Tacoma with the licence plate DIRTNUT. I am sure I will run into you, unless the weather sucks.

tanya
12-08-2010, 09:57 AM
My 2 favorite trips to the Wave were during blizzards! The first time we had to go because we were looking for this cool arch and the deadline for our magazine article was on Monday, Bo only had weekends off, so we headed in a blizzard. That main road through there is NOT good when wet - they are not joking when they say that. It was not snowing yet when going up to the arch but began as we were getting off that mountain. That was scary!!! ....but the hike to the wave was cool. Bo got a photo with at least a foot of snow on top of my hat as we were almost to the car.

Next snowy trip was on purpose! Great day... more of a day after a storm sort of trip. I got my favorite pictures from there then.!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes-paria.htm

tanya
12-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I am!

Hi Philippe! I am your fan as well! Your photography and book are magnificent!

:clap:

Richie! You are quite the photographer as well! Wonderful shots!

Richie
12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Are you thinking about the 3 guidebooks to which I collaborated (PTS) ? Philippe, if you're talking about Photographing the Southwest: These books have a special place in my bookshelf. They're great!!!

@ tanya : You're Willis Creek pictures is exceptional beautiful.

tanya
12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys. I love that one too. Here is one of my favorite Wave photos. Bo surfing on a snowy day at the Wave.

Richie
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Richie! You are quite the photographer as well! Wonderful shots!

You're kidding. On that day I was really disappointed with my pictures. :roll:

tanya
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Both of you and Philippe, make me embarrassed to show mine. :mrgreen:

But then I don't claim to be a photographer. Just Bo's tag along. :hail2thechief::lol8: Someone has to slow that man down.

pph (made up by Bo. He rates my hiking time in pph - photos per hour)

jdgibney
12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Richie, that looks amazing! I'll have to hunt for those on another trip. Great shots!

What do people here use for photog' gear?

I'm primarily a sports photographer, but for my last trip I brought my Nikon D3, rented a 17-35 2.8 and also had a 35-70 and 70-200. Getting used to hiking with camera gear was a little strange but, I'm getting there!

Wes, we'll keep an eye out! We've basically got 3 days to explore Tues-wed, as we're flying in Sun evening and home Thurs morning. St. George Sun night, Page Mon night, Kanab Tues night and Vega$ Wed night.

jdgibney
12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
PS, as if I wasn't already unproductive... this forum looks like it might become even more of a drain on my .... responsibilities ;)

Richie
12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
@ jdgibney:

While reading the thread again I saw that tanya already mentioned Coyote Buttes South and White Pocket. You should really think about that, when you're able to get a permit. I must admit that I liked both almost more than the Wave. If the driving there is to hard for you, you could think about booking a trip with Steve from Paria Outpost. That's what we did. It's $175 per person (2009) including barbecue and we were not disappointed.

If you do one of the shorter hikes that don't need a whole day (like Wahweap Hoodoos, or the Rimrock Hoodoos) you could also think about driving to Alstrom Point (if the Dirt Road is in good condition). You have a great view of Lake Powell from there.

trackrunner
12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Not sure if we are going to stay in Kanab or Page yet, but I guess I better get things booked and ready.

Mt. Carmel Thunderbird, home of the ho made pie.
:wink:

tanya
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
:lol8: Can I hire you as my advertising manager Shawn.

If you do stay there... ask for rooms in the 16 building with the log furniture - upstairs is the best with the vaulted ceilings.

All but 4 rooms on the entire property have been totally renovated, but that log stuff is expensive, so it's not in every single room yet. Its 17 miles from Kanab, so if you are not visiting Zion too, then its a bit out of the way.

jdgibney
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Whoa, when did you sneak in and take a picture of my bedroom? :fitz::haha:

tanya
12-08-2010, 01:39 PM
:lol8:

Philippe
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys. I love that one too. Here is one of my favorite Wave photos. Bo surfing on a snowy day at the Wave.

Tanya, you say that you are not a photographer but I have noticed that you have done quite a lot of good pics !
This one of the Wave is excellent, very good framing with Bo surfing just at the right place.

One of my pictures of the Wave that I prefer is also with a human beeing on it, I call it "Discovering a strange world" :

Philippe
12-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Philippe, if you're talking about Photographing the Southwest: These books have a special place in my bookshelf. They're great!!!.

Yes, I am talking about these guidebooks. Thank you for your comment. I was very happy to help my friend Laurent Martres for these books (for example, I wrote the chapter about Coyote Buttes North), to help people discovering the wonders of the Southwest.

Your pictures of Brainrocks are very nice ! I have a series of pictures of this place on my website under the name of Edmaier's secret (http://www.phschuler.com/usa2006/VERMILLION%20CLIFFS%20NM/EDMAIERS%20SECRET/index.html) (4 pages). Durring my visit, I missed the beautiful lace rocks on your last picture, but I found a kind of small Wave that I like :

Philippe

Philippe
12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi Philippe! I am your fan as well!

I hope we will have the chance to meet again, the last time it was too short !

Philippe

jdgibney
12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Wonderful photos, I have so much to learn

Richie
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Your pictures of Brainrocks are very nice !

Wow. It's great to hear something like that from a great photographer like you. I really love your website (know it from Isa's Links on her website).

under the name of Edmaier's secret (http://www.phschuler.com/usa2006/VERMILLION%20CLIFFS%20NM/EDMAIERS%20SECRET/index.html)

That's the second of three names I heard for this area: Brown Pocket, Edmaier's Secret and Buckskin Slickrock. Funny: Neither of these names is known by the BLM (at least at the Paria Contact station).

Philippe
12-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow. It's great to hear something like that from a great photographer like you. I really love your website (know it from Isa's Links on her website).

Thank you very much ! Is Isa a friend of yours ?

That's the second of three names I heard for this area: Brown Pocket, Edmaier's Secret and Buckskin Slickrock. Funny: Neither of these names is known by the BLM (at least at the Paria Contact station).

It is because these 3 names have been recently given by German fans of the Southwest.

Philippe

tanya
12-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Me too! That's why you guys are photographers. :hail2thechief:

Richie
12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Philippe, Isa is moderator in one of the forums I'm a member. And in Willis Creek I met her once while she was taking pictures together with her husband. Which is really funny because Steffens website was the reason that we went to Willis Creek (I saw the pictures there for the first time). Steffens website is one of the first for me to check out when planning a trip. And Isa is so helpful. Whenever I aks her a question on the forum or via Facebook I receive an answer immediately. And both of them are such great photographers.

Philippe
12-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Philippe, Isa is moderator in one of the forums I'm a member. And in Willis Creek I met her once while she was taking pictures together with her husband. Which is really funny because Steffens website was the reason that we went to Willis Creek (I saw the pictures there for the first time). Steffens website is one of the first for me to check out when planning a trip. And Isa is so helpful. Whenever I aks her a question on the forum or via Facebook I receive an answer immediately. And both of them are such great photographers.

Hi Richie !

Isa & Steffen are close friends of mine since many years, we spent some wonderful days together exploring the Southwest (a few pictures of us here (http://www.phschuler.com/usa2006/FRIENDS%20&%20US/WITH%20FRIENDS/index.html))

They are very nice people and both photographers that I admire a lot !

Philippe

Richie
12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
They are very nice people

Yes. I just met them just once, but I often asked Isa a question about something I saw on their blog or on Steffes website and she is always so helpful. She's really a nice person.

Isa & Steffen are close friends of mine since many years,
I was thinking when I first saw you're post here: "That must be Isas' and Steffens' friend. For planning my trips I have all the books of Laurent Martres, I always check out your website, Steffens website and the blog that Isa and Steffen have. And when you read them carefully you realize who knows who :mrgreen:

Philippe
12-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I was thinking when I first saw you're post here: "That must be Isas' and Steffens' friend. For planning my trips I have all the books of Laurent Martres, I always check out your website, Steffens website and the blog that Isa and Steffen have. And when you read them carefully you realize who knows who :mrgreen:

We all belong to the european fan club of the Southwest !

Have you a web site, so I can see a picture and recognize you if we meet by chance in the wilderness (like I met Helge "der Zopfige", last Spring).

Philippe

Richie
12-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a website, but without a picture of me. There just a very few pictures with me.
I found one back 2008 on the Space Needle in Seattle.

Philippe
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Thank you. What is your website URL ?

Philippe

tanya
12-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Nice!

You should put that on the Mug Shot Threads!

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22917

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41465-Close-up-Photos-of-Canyoneers...-Lets-see-what-you-look-like!

(http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/crawford-arch-f_jpg.jpg)

Richie
12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Thank you. What is your website URL ?

Just klick on my signature :mrgreen:

You should put that on the Mug Shot Threads!

No I look awful in this picture. Guess I have to look for a better one tomorrow :wink: