PDA

View Full Version : Why BYU went Independant

Iceaxe
11-29-2010, 11:31 AM
I really never understood why BYU thought going independent was such a good deal.... but after I read this I understood and support their reason.... it wasn't that independent was such a great deal, its that The MTN screwed them over every way possible.... I might not be a big BYU fan but I do know they brought the biggest and best pie to the MWC party.....

Holmoe: TV deal pushed BYU out of MWC
By Scott D. Pierce
The Salt Lake Tribune
November 20, 2010 03:43PM

To say that BYU

DiscGo
11-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Good article.

Scott Card
11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Not to mention the fact that BYU will earn three times more money in September 2011 than this whole football season put together. I have disliked the MTN ever since it started. Poor camera work, lousy picture, the announcers drive me nuts...etc.

BYUtv on the other hand is a thing of beauty in addition to ESPN. I watched a basketball game on BYUtv and the HD looks really good -- bright, crisp picture. I like the future of watching BYU sports, now lets see how the new independance and conference alignment looks in a few years and whether we still have winning seasons. BYU seems to be a bit of an experiment that programs like Texas and USC are looking at (if rumor serves me correctly). I admit that I would probably rather be in Utah's shoes with an easy shift to a BCS conference. But independance also has a certain appeal. I look forward to watching BYU take on anyone who will play us. Should be interesting.

After reading that article, I may just cancel Comcast. I may have to wait till after the b-ball season but that will be a priority to look for alternatives in April. Comcast...Jerks...:angryfire:

Iceaxe
11-30-2010, 03:35 PM
BYU seems to be a bit of an experiment that programs like Texas and USC are looking at (if rumor serves me correctly).

Texas was just postuering to get a bigger slice of the pie... Texas got a sweet deal to stay in the BIG 12. They get more money then everyone else and get to run their own TV deal.....

And USC isn't going anywhere.... they are the flagship of one of the primer conferences.... USC HAD a deal where they recieved a bigger slice of the pie in the PAC 10, but that deal goes away and everyone shares equal in the PAC 12 after everything is said and done... USC was thumping their chest trying to retain a bigger share but the rest of the league called their bluff and USC folded...

Independent is a No Man's Land.... No one... including ND, has been able to make it work from a football prespective...

All things being equal I'd like to see BYU in the BIG 12.