PDA

View Full Version : Business idea - Steaks to go

BruteForce
11-27-2010, 07:27 AM
So I've been thinking quite a bit lately about business ideas.

If you could hit a web page and pre-order steaks and prime-rib, would you?

- Order one day in advance
- Specify from your choice of Prime, T-Bone, New York, Rib Eye
- Specify how you'd like it cooked (rare, medium, burned, etc)
- Specify your pick-up time

No sides, no seating. Just order the steaks, pick-up and go.

Would this work?

offpiste
11-27-2010, 07:32 AM
There was a shop of this nature in Orem/Provo in the riverwoods called Steak Out. They did okay till the economy went south. My parents loved the place called them up told them what and how they wanted it and picked it up 30 minutes later.
Location location location the secret to any thriving business, where would you locate at?

Deathcricket
11-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I buy from this place. They deliver it to my house the next day but I cook them myself.

http://www.yummymeats.com/

I don't know if I would buy a precooked steak ready to eat. Chilis and Applebees both do it and I don't see a huge market for it. There was a place called Famous Dave's too but they went out of business. To be completely honest, I probably wouldn't even have bought from these Yummy Meats guys, but they had an aggressive door to door campaign and I was so impressed with the rep who came to my door and I bought for that reason alone. My capitalist sensibilities kick in, hehe. I like to reward hard working college kids and encourage them with their business plan. Which I found very sound. The the meat they sold me was soooo damn good though I will be a customer for life. They use this tumbler in a vacuum chamber to marinate the meat and in penetrates into the center of the object, not just the 1st 1/4 inch like when I marinate at home. Plus they have 6 of each flavor and about 7 different flavors and they are all awesome. The chicken one is just as good too.

So bottom line is I don't think your idea will work. You already have too many competitors and the market isn't that huge to begin with. Cooking a steak isn't that hard and it will probably get cold before they home. But!!! If you can get a superior product, superior taste, super cheap price, rare meat like elk or venison, or something like that. Yeah you can make it work. Then you would have to give out some free samples or get people to try your product somehow and show them how it's superior to cooking at home with some Costco meat. I also think not delivering it is a critical mistake. You're catering to lazy people, ok wrong word. You're catering to people who want convenience and don't wanna cook. What makes you think they are gonna wanna drive and pick something up? You're even competing with fast food which is super cheap and fast. I just can't picture trying to decide between a steak and hamburger drive though. Unless it was a damn good steak. Plus if you deliver if, you have some control over the temperature when it reaches the dinner plate. Cold steak sucks ass IMO. So if you don't start eliminating some variables, your customer base won't grow.