PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a new/used point and shoot camera. Recommendations for under $150?

Wasatch Rebel
11-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Right now, I'm considering the Canon Powershot A1100IS, which I can get used for about $125 off of Amazon. I need a fast shutter speed, good pics in low light, ability to take pics of moving children, but also great landscape shots. What are your suggestions in this price range? I've checked reviews for many of the "Black Friday" camera deals, and I'm not coming away impressed, yet buying used is a scary option also.

Ryebrye
11-26-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm getinng my wife an SD1400IS - for the next day or two a bunch of people have them with an $80 instant rebate.

I bought mine at Allen's since the price is the same and they are local, but yo could get them from anazon too.

The factor that made me want the sd1400is over others is that it uses the swans mini HDMI cable to connect to a TV that my slr uses, and I've really liked doing quick ad hoc slidehows with my already so having that on a point and shoot would be good.

It has some other interestinng features too. Not quite sure what the Max shutter speed is but with chdk it'll be crazy fast. (Ccds can be read crazy fast)

The lens on it is 28mm equivalent and f2.8 at the wide end so its pretty decent. For $150 I think it is hard to beat.

It is $149

If you are into chdk, a port for the sd1400is is almost done too.

Wasatch Rebel
11-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Hey, thanks for the recommendation. That sounds like a great little low-end camera.

p40whk
11-27-2010, 05:44 AM
if you're not set on used, you may want to look in to the new Micro Four Thirds cameras. I here it's like the best of both worlds (point and shoot with DSLR). Google Micro Four Thirds camera and check out the Wiki article. The format was created by Olympus and Panasonic.

Wasatch Rebel
11-28-2010, 04:07 AM
if you're not set on used, you may want to look in to the new Micro Four Thirds cameras. I here it's like the best of both worlds (point and shoot with DSLR). Google Micro Four Thirds camera and check out the Wiki article. The format was created by Olympus and Panasonic.

Thanks. I'll check into that.