PDA

View Full Version : Pictures disappearing

Swamp Thing
11-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm trying to post a picture-heavy trip review, and it's taking me a while to format the post and get all the pictures in the right places. I uploaded about 35 pictures and am rearranging the tabs in Word. The only problem is the pictues I've uploaded have apparently fallen off the server or been deleted or something before I could format my post, about an hour's time or so before i noticed they weren't there anymore. for example:
[ATTACH]39204
seems to be gone.

Do uploaded files fall of the system if they're not posted before a certain amount of time?

Thanks.

ibenick
11-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I find the image uploader on bogley to be total crap. It's a lot easier to upload your pics somewhere like picasa or flickr and then just use [IMG] tags around the URL of the image in your TR. The key is to make sure it's the URL of the actual image, not of the page where the image is. If you want more specifics on that, just ask.

Swamp Thing
11-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks, I find the uploader to be trying as well. :angryfire:

The URL route seemd like more work to me since I have so many pics, but then again my URLs won't disappear on me in the middle of a post.

Sombeech
11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
The "Insert Image" method is a batch uploader. http://www.bogley.com/forum/images/editor/insertimage.png You can upload multiples at a time, it just uploads them in a random order.

The "Attachments" method http://www.bogley.com/forum/images/editor/attach.png is more precise, but one at a time, plus it adds them at the bottom of the post, so not a favorite.

Were you by chance coming back to edit your post, and adding the attachments then? Or did you add your attachments in the first draft?

Swamp Thing
11-16-2010, 03:58 AM
I batch uploaded about 35 pics in two batches and c/p their labels to Word to edit the post. I copied the edited post back occationally and hit the "preview post" button 6 or 7 times with no problem, eventually after about an hour the first batch I uploaded disappeared when I previewed the post. (the second batch was only about 3 pictures).

Deathcricket
11-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Yeah don't use the uploader IMO. Every time I use it I'm sorry, the pics are resized so friggin small. It's better just to hotlink to photobucket of something similar.

Sombeech
11-16-2010, 07:36 AM
hmmm, well an hour is quite a while to have a draft open, I wonder if the cookies or cache are being cleared automatically.

For the time being, you might want to write it up in text, submit, and then go and insert your photos by editing your post. You'll want to use the Insert Image function, placing the cursor where you want the selected photo, and then upload.

It's a bummer that the batch uploader doesn't import the photos in order, I'm thinking it's by filesize. I've been looking into that, hopefully we can change it to upload by filename. If that works, the batch uploader works very well. We've set the dimensions to be at 800 wide I think, just to fit most resolution sizes. This will avoid the need to scroll sideways to view a thread.

Deathcricket
11-16-2010, 09:43 AM
hmmm, well an hour is quite a while to have a draft open, I wonder if the cookies or cache are being cleared automatically.

For the time being, you might want to write it up in text, submit, and then go and insert your photos by editing your post. You'll want to use the Insert Image function, placing the cursor where you want the selected photo, and then upload.

It's a bummer that the batch uploader doesn't import the photos in order, I'm thinking it's by filesize. I've been looking into that, hopefully we can change it to upload by filename. If that works, the batch uploader works very well. We've set the dimensions to be at 800 wide I think, just to fit most resolution sizes. This will avoid the need to scroll sideways to view a thread.

Ahh that is interesting. I run a batch file through Photoshop to resize all pics to 800x600, run auto color correct, strip it down to 256 colors, and a couple other things for media I upload to the web. I uploaded such a file through the bath uploader and it shrunk it down to like 400 x 200. Here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?22917-Show-yer-Mug&p=421359&viewfull=1#post421359

So hearing this I should just upload the originals which are like 4400 x whatever and it will shrink them down? Didn't know that thanks.

Sombeech
11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
So hearing this I should just upload the originals which are like 4400 x whatever and it will shrink them down? Didn't know that thanks.

Yeah it should take the originals, no need to resize. I may be wrong though, but I've tested some large sizes and they've all worked.