PDA

View Full Version : Broken clavicle & ribs

Sombeech
11-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Mark had a little mishap today on bear claw poppy trail at the 3 fingers of death. Will post more when the time is right.

I removed the unflattering photo of him in the hospital bed

theking648
11-14-2010, 03:50 PM
I had a bad feeling today that something wasn't right. :eek2:

denaliguide
11-14-2010, 04:16 PM
sorry to hear this. hope you heal quickly.

p.s. don't watch any comedy central for a while. or sneeze.

dbaxter
11-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Dude! So sorry to hear this...Is there anything we can do for you and your family?

mfshop
11-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Ouch! That darn trail is at the same time deceptively easy, fun, fast, & dangerous. Probably results in the most ER visits of any trail in the area - I had a concussion there myself... Hope you heal up fast, & post up some quality crash footage:mrgreen:

theking648
11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
why is it that mark always has bad luck when he comes down... :facepalm:

this may be too early, but did you get video? :lol8: aww poor mark.

Cirrus2000
11-14-2010, 06:02 PM
(Buncha edited posts make me look silly, now!)

Don't know Mark, but here's wishing him a speedy recovery! :ride:

blueeyes
11-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Mark! If you guys need anything let me know. Wishing you speedy recovery.

Good to see ya all.

accadacca
11-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Of course Beech got video. Duh. :haha:

Mark is in some pain, but he'll be okay. Sucks.

Don
11-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Wow, sorry man. That's good advice about comedy central though. Feel better soon.

Looking forward to the video! :haha:

tanya
11-14-2010, 07:57 PM
MARK is BROKE!!!!!! :cry1:

Is he in St. George?

I will have to send him a special get well gift! I swear mountain bike riding is dang dangerous!

ratagonia
11-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Oh man, wow, bad stuff. Hoping for a quick recovery.

Tom

Sombeech
11-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Update: Mark has a broken clavicle and 7 broken ribs. They were going to use a chest tube to relieve the internal bleeding and air, but it turns out the bleeding isn't as bad as they thought. He will remain in the hospital for at least a couple of nights.

We've been on this trail more than any trail in the area, it's a must ride every time we're down here. I can't count how many times we've been on it. It's just one of those things that happen spontaneously without warning. I even hear myself chuckle right before his crash on the video. ugh...

His helmet definitely reduced his injuries too, there was a rock wedged into the back of it and the insulation was shattered inside.

tanya
11-14-2010, 10:49 PM

theking648
11-14-2010, 10:53 PM
7 ribs?? holy crap. I don't know what to say. it's kind of hard to believe that bearclaw could do that to a person considering the fact that it doesn't even give me an adrenaline rush anymore.. and i always ride down the middle of the middle finger where it has a double drop on it.

Sombeech
11-14-2010, 10:57 PM
It's usually not the extreme trails. I remember when Wade greyhair biker got his compound fracture going down the gravel road. It just happens at odd times.

theking648
11-14-2010, 11:07 PM
i have to agree, i've had some nasty bike crashes some at 25, 30 mph and walked away with nothing more than road rash... but i can go fishing and slip on a hill no bigger than a foot tall and end up twisting my foot so that it pulled every muscle in my foot which took a mouth before i could walk on it and till this day it still hurts. it might have been broken but i have a tough guy attitude and hate hospitals.

the littlest things are the ones that get ya.

blueeyes
11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Oh my hell! 7 and the clavicle... Did he walk off the trail?

Make sure he has some good drugs to get him home. That is a long drive to be in pain.

canyonphile
11-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Oh yikes, Justin! :eek2:
Scary stuff for the both of youse. I hope you and Mark have a quick recovery and are back on your bikes soon...

And hopefully, no more trips to the ER!

oldno7
11-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Sorry to hear that beech, hope you have a fast recovery.

Sombeech
11-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Mark is looking better, the major threats are gone like internal bleeding and punctured lung. He's just taking it easy and waiting to hear when he'll be released. http://tapa.tk/mu/412c7d0e-571a-f4f9.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk

dbaxter
11-15-2010, 08:03 AM
YAY for Helmets!!!:clap:

Several people at work belong to what we have dubbed the "clavicle club" for having broken clavicles on the bear poppy trail, Dr's and nurses mostly.
(I broke mine in the parking lot:cry1:)

Hope you're out of there soon Mark...

tanya
11-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Hey King..... you are still a kid! You heal fast and roll better. :bandit:

Bo_Beck
11-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Mark is looking better, the major threats are gone like internal bleeding and punctured lung. He's just taking it easy and waiting to hear when he'll be released. http://tapa.tk/mu/412c7d0e-571a-f4f9.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk

Right on Mark! Good to see a smirk on your face and that the menu at the hospital has definately improved! Snickers and Dr. Pepper! Get well, but until then I hope your nurses are treating you right (and that they are cute)!

tanya
11-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Awwww.... you are looking cute Mark!

Who snuck that Snickers :afro: in there?

Bo_Beck
11-15-2010, 08:12 AM
YAY for Helmets!!!:clap:

Several people at work belong to what we have dubbed the "clavicle club" for having broken clavicles on the bear poppy trail, Dr's and nurses mostly.
(I broke mine in the parking lot:cry1:)

Hope you're out of there soon Mark...

Had a friend (retired orthopaedic surgeon Dave Moore) walk into my store years ago. It had been one month since his crash on 3 Fingers, and he had broken several ribs, clavicle and his neck. SAR was sent out in the evening to find him when he didnt return home. He regained consciousness during the evening and walked himself out to Bloomington. I told him to take up a safe sport......CLIMBING!

theking648
11-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Hey King..... you are still a kid! You heal fast and roll better. :bandit:
I just know how to crash better, I've never had a broken bone, I dislocate bones all the time, but no broken bones.

If I was there filming, then mark would have been fine, because he would have crashed into me again like last time.

dbaxter
11-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I told him to take up a safe sport......CLIMBING!
I remember Thane telling me about that crash. Dave is a good guy-kind of crazy though :wink: legendary!

Win
11-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Mark. Snickers certainly will help.:2thumbs:

Win

Jaxx
11-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Hope you get better soon Mark. Don't get addicted to the pain meds! :haha:

blueeyes
11-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Glad to see a thumbs up Mark.

live2ride
11-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Get well soon Marc, have a safe return trip and at least on the bright side is that its not Mtn bike season or boating season here any more!

fourtycal
11-15-2010, 01:13 PM
How's the bike? :mrgreen:

tanya
11-15-2010, 01:16 PM
:lol8:

How about some climbing rope instead. Its much safer!

REDFOX
11-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Hey Mark, I rode the paradise rim trail for you and I happened to run into one of the Redrock bike employees. He recognized me from being in the bike shop with you the day before. He asked where you were at and I told him that you were on your way to ER. He said, I hope that they didn't cut your bike jersey. I told him that you made sure of that. I know that you will recover quickly and be sledding soon !

accadacca
11-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Itchin' for that video. :popcorn: Wait, I have seen it multiple times and its a gem. :haha:

greyhair biker
11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
:eek2:DUDE - I SO feel for you! Take the recovery time - you won't regret it. Seriously, my arm just started aching for you -:nod:

greyhair biker
11-15-2010, 07:16 PM
:roflol:where have I heard THAT before!?

Riseforms
11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Brutal. Get well.

Sombeech
11-15-2010, 08:04 PM
the menu at the hospital has definately improved! Snickers and Dr. Pepper!

I brought those in for him from the Maverick gas station :lol8:

Sombeech
11-15-2010, 08:08 PM

The bike is unscathed, unfortunately that seat is still too damned high. :haha:

He said, I hope that they didn't cut your bike jersey.

Those jerks ended up cutting it off :angryfire:

I just know how to crash better, I've never had a broken bone, I dislocate bones all the time, but no broken bones.

Just wait :mrgreen:

REDFOX
11-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Marks bike is perfectly fine, It's a Kona ! We didn't even notice any road rash , torn clothing, or visible blood. Obviously he hit the ground hard and did not slide very much.

KanyonKris
11-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Wow, clavicle and 7 ribs! Very sorry to hear. I hope you heal well and fast, Mark.

Bo_Beck
11-16-2010, 06:42 AM

If I was there filming, then mark would have been fine, because he would have crashed into me again like last time.

Right on Dave! I've only broken 2 bones. My middle finger on the right hand when I was a kid because there weren't any more tamales in the chest freezer, so I flipped it off and it slammed my "throwing" finger. Now when there aren't tamales I resign to chips and salsa. The other was a damned mast from my windsurfer at Waikiki beach catching a wave and crunching my nose. I will admit though....I've dislocated my shoulders, and thumbs. NOW I'm paying the price. My throwing finger on my right hand still functions fine:haha:, and I can still smell shit just fine, but my shoulders are asking my legs to do the work all the time and my thumbs go "click" all the time! DUDE....break some bones soon and preserve your joints for latter years!:2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
11-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Right on Dave! I've only broken 2 bones. My middle finger on the right hand when I was a kid because there weren't any more tamales in the chest freezer, so I flipped it off and it slammed my "throwing" finger. Now when there aren't tamales I resign to chips and salsa. The other was a damned mast from my windsurfer at Waikiki beach catching a wave and crunching my nose. I will admit though....I've dislocated my shoulders, and thumbs. NOW I'm paying the price. My throwing finger on my right hand still functions fine:haha:, and I can still smell shit just fine, but my shoulders are asking my legs to do the work all the time and my thumbs go "click" all the time! DUDE....break some bones soon and preserve your joints for latter years!:2thumbs:

Oh yeah....also broke my back hanggliding back in '74' and so far so good?! Torn ligaments, tendons and muscles at joints eventually catch up Dave. Just don't crash Dude.

Sombeech
11-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Update; It sounds like Mark will spend another night in the hospital. I also hear that Shad will be heading down to pick him up possibly tomorrow. :2thumbs:

tanya
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I hope they are treating you good in there Mark! 39259

Ryan
11-16-2010, 02:19 PM
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! That sucks we will be thinking about you Mark get well soon.

gholt
11-16-2010, 02:25 PM
I guess I shouldn't complain about my bruised ribs I got on the hog's back in Richfield. I hope they heal by the time I get to St. George to ride down there.

Get well soon.

accadacca
11-16-2010, 04:10 PM
WHERE IS THE VIDEO?! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

If we can post little bunny rabbits getting slaughtered, we can sure as hell post a bike crash. :roflol:

Who agrees?? :ride:

tanya
11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey! What happened to Mark's picture of him in the hospital? I liked it! He must want it down. lol

theking648
11-16-2010, 05:11 PM
this thread really is worthless with out video!

Sombeech
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Another update; Today wasn't that great for Mark. They had to put a tube through two broken ribs so they could drain 1500 CCs of blood up against his lungs. :eek2:

I spoke with him briefly on the phone, trying to keep it short because I know how painful it is to talk with broken ribs.

I said some people are waiting for the video, and that I'd wait until he was up and running before I'd exploit his crash. He appreciated that. :wink: So I'm going to continue to wait. I will however post some pics in the mountain bike section of the aftermath. He's going to try and snap a shot of his X-ray. He says his clavicle bone is criss crossed. We were wondering if that straightens out by itself. Anybody know?

Pelon1
11-16-2010, 05:29 PM
I hope they are treating you good in there Mark! http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39259&d=1289943085

I am the only nurse that looks like that at DRMC, unfortunately I work in surgery!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

tanya
11-16-2010, 05:41 PM
:lol8:

Pelon1
11-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Another update; Today wasn't that great for Mark. They had to put a tube through two broken ribs so they could drain 1500 CCs of blood up against his lungs. :eek2:

I spoke with him briefly on the phone, trying to keep it short because I know how painful it is to talk with broken ribs.

I said some people are waiting for the video, and that I'd wait until he was up and running before I'd exploit his crash. He appreciated that. :wink: So I'm going to continue to wait. I will however post some pics in the mountain bike section of the aftermath. He's going to try and snap a shot of his X-ray. He says his clavicle bone is criss crossed. We were wondering if that straightens out by itself. Anybody know?

Unless there is a real good reason to fix a clavicle it is avoided. They generally heal fine with just a clavicle brace and will result in a thing we call the "Loop Bump":nod:
https://www.sindark.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/IMG_3918.jpg

accadacca
11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
I am sure Mark would appreciate a visit from anyone in the area. All of his family are in Ogden, so he is on his own. Just bring him some junk food or snacks. :2thumbs: I bet he is getting bored...

tanya
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I wish I could, but can't get to St. George right now. :cry1:

Sombeech
11-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Here's a little more info on how it happened, with some photos
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41323-Bad-Crash-on-Bear-Claw-Poppy

theking648
11-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I am sure Mark would appreciate a visit from anyone in the area. All of his family are in Ogden, so he is on his own. Just bring him some junk food or snacks. :2thumbs: I bet he is getting bored...

i was really thinking about going over today, but I got way to busy today.. i'm busy tomorrow, but i think i get him some junk food after my interview.

will he be released tomorrow? what time?

Bo_Beck
11-17-2010, 05:29 AM

Hey, whats Marks last name and room #? I'd like to go over and say hello. Maybe a Piraat would cheer him up!?:nod:

Sombeech
11-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Hey, whats Marks last name and room #? I'd like to go over and say hello. Maybe a Piraat would cheer him up!?:nod:

Hey Bo, I sent you a PM with his room number. :cool2:

Bo_Beck
11-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Hey Bo, I sent you a PM with his room number. :cool2:

Got it! Thanks.

asdf
11-17-2010, 07:33 AM
If we can post little bunny rabbits getting slaughtered, we can sure as hell post a bike crash. :roflol:

Who agrees?? :ride:

:roll:
still dont get it do you

tanya
11-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Like all photos and video... it should be totally up to the person that is in them.

Bo_Beck
11-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Yeah....pretty much agree here. I think Mark ought to be the first one (other than the photographer) to see his own boo-boo!

azhiaziam
11-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Unless there is a real good reason to fix a clavicle it is avoided. They generally heal fine with just a clavicle brace and will result in a thing we call the "Loop Bump":nod:
https://www.sindark.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/IMG_3918.jpg
dont know mark but i feel for anyone that gets hurt doing what they love, but i do remember the xray, it was last march st pattys day, we got close to five feet of snow in vermont that day and a buddy and i were snowmobling around 2am, it was epic conditions but all the stop sings at the road crossings were buried in snow so i went across the road around 60 when i plowed into the side of a snowplow cracking my sturnum and broke the 3 lower ribs on each side and broke my clavicel . i wore a brace for 6 weeks and i took 4 mounths to feel 100% again and now have one of those lumps
get well soon

tanya
11-17-2010, 08:11 AM
However Mark!!!! That photo that was up was not unflattering! It makes all us females want to give you TLC. :naughty:

blueeyes
11-17-2010, 08:25 AM
I went over this morning before going to work and saw Mark. He is in good spirits but would definitely appreciate visitors. I did get to see the video and I don't blame Mark for not wanting it posted yet. Not that the video is bad, just needs sometime to be able to laugh at if first and for him I think that will be a bit. Not that he can't laugh, it just really really hurts right now!!

I thought he did all this damage lower down the trail on Clavicle Hill. But it was off the middle finger of the three fingers of death. Lost the footing on his pedal, lost balance and down he went. I can't believe you guys waited so long to call 911. You boys can be stubborn when hurt and I am sure if you would have had any idea the damage... you would have called sooner.

Right before I left the doctor came in. He said they are going to keep and eye on the fluids they are draining out of his chest today and they are going to have and orthopedic surgeon look at his clavicle. I guess it is not healing as they would like at this point.

I told Mark I would stop back by tomorrow and check on him and left my number in case he needs anything.

moab mark
11-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Sounds like it is going to be a long recovery. Hope all goes well.

So when do we get to see the video?:popcorn:

Sombeech
11-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I've got an "edited" version of the video, but I'm still not uploading it yet. The more I watch, the more painful it is. No blood or anything, it's just seeing that impact that makes me hurt. I've seen worse crashes but I know how much damage this caused. This will be totally up to Mark. I want him to be able to laugh at it without pain in his ribs.... If it's uploaded at all.

This one shook me up a bit. I'm rethinking my mountain biking habits, I need to slow down and take it easy.

tanya
11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Take up climbing! Its much safer!

Sombeech
11-17-2010, 10:52 AM
post up some quality crash footage:mrgreen:

This may be too early, but did you get video? :lol8:

Looking forward to the video! :haha:

WHERE IS THE VIDEO?! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

this thread really is worthless with out video!

So when do we get to see the video?:popcorn:

:roflol: I have trained you all very well.

Bo_Beck
11-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Just got back from a visit. Mark is in amazingly high spirits and perfectly content staying a day or two or three more! (wonder if the nurses have anything to do with that decision?:haha:) Anyway he was even talking about having his ankles done as long as he would be down for a while anyway! It was great to see him and hear his story about the fateful day! Thanks Justin for logging the trip. Amazing!!!!!!! And thanks for making sure he got the needed attention. I'm sure that he'll make a speedy recovery with the positive attitude that he harbours. Get well soon Mark, but take your time and relax while you have the great service thats being tended at DRMC.

Sombeech
11-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for seeing him, Bo and Chere

That's true, he's been waiting for a chance to have his ankle worked on, but couldn't find a slow season to relax for 6 weeks. Now is the perfect time.

Mark is busy year 'round with boating, waterskiing, motorbiking, ATVing and snowmobiling in the winter. After his ankle is done he'll be able to do more hiking.

Bo_Beck
11-17-2010, 11:04 AM
I went over this morning before going to work and saw Mark. He is in good spirits but would definitely appreciate visitors. I did get to see the video and I don't blame Mark for not wanting it posted yet. Not that the video is bad, just needs sometime to be able to laugh at if first and for him I think that will be a bit. Not that he can't laugh, it just really really hurts right now!!

I thought he did all this damage lower down the trail on Clavicle Hill. But it was off the middle finger of the three fingers of death. Lost the footing on his pedal, lost balance and down he went. I can't believe you guys waited so long to call 911. You boys can be stubborn when hurt and I am sure if you would have had any idea the damage... you would have called sooner.

Right before I left the doctor came in. He said they are going to keep and eye on the fluids they are draining out of his chest today and they are going to have and orthopedic surgeon look at his clavicle. I guess it is not healing as they would like at this point.

I told Mark I would stop back by tomorrow and check on him and left my number in case he needs anything.

You must have just left before I got there. Yeah that video HURTS! Dave "theking" was coming in just as I left. There definately isn't gonna be any more room on his table for Snickers Bars now! Don't take carbonated drinks as he said that coughing and burping really is painful. I took him over a Muscle Milk and hope this might be desired? Will definately try to get back again tomorrow as well.

accadacca
11-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks for seeing him everyone. You guys are great! :2thumbs:

Pelon1
11-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Went and saw Mark this AM, he showed me the video:bootyshake::bootyshake:Guess ya have to visit him to see it. He is in great spirits. Hope he has a speedy recovery:clap:

Sombeech
11-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Went and saw Mark this AM, he showed me the video:bootyshake::bootyshake:Guess ya have to visit him to see it. He is in great spirits. Hope he has a speedy recovery:clap:

Thanks Thane :cool2:

blueeyes
11-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Stopped in again this morning on my way to work. I think it caught up to him today. Not as chipper but still in good spirits. Orthopedic doc said his clavicle might heal properly and it might not. That is so helpful don't you think. With luck Mark will get to go home tomorrow.

accadacca
11-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Wow, still in there. The first Nurse said 2 days to a week. :eek2:

TreeHugger
11-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery! Injuries suck, I feel for ya and I'm sorry to hear about your crash.

~ Tree.

accadacca
11-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Is Mark out yet?

dbaxter
11-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Not as of this morning.

Sombeech
11-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks to those who have stopped by and visited Mark, he reads this too but it's painful to login and type as you can imagine. It would really suck to be 5 hours away from your home, in the hospital for a week.

greyhair biker
11-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Are they giving you good drugs...that mattered to me:lol8:

accadacca
11-21-2010, 02:09 PM
What's the scoop on Mark? It was about a week ago to the hour that I was heading over with Beech to visit Mark at the hospital.

Sombeech
11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
He just got his chest tube pulled today and he's out of the hospital tonight. It looks like his wife will be able to drive him home. :cool2:

He's taken some pics of the xray and stuff

Sombeech
11-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Mark just sent this pic to me of the Chest Tube they were finally able to pull. I'm thinking he's out of the hospital finally but I'm not sure. I hate to call so much, I'm not sure if he's sleeping or if he just wants a break from the phone. We're mainly communicating through text.

blueeyes
11-22-2010, 08:57 AM
I talked to him last night through text. He was released and he and his wife are driving home today! :clap:

Heal quickly Mark. See ya on the trail in February. :mrgreen:

accadacca
11-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I think we need to plan a trip down there in February or as soon as he is ready to ride. A MTB trip to celebrate! :2thumbs:

That chest tube looks gross...

Sombeech
11-22-2010, 10:19 AM
I talked to him last night through text. He was released and he and his wife are driving home today! :clap:

Awesome. :cool2:

greyhair biker
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Most definitely a february trip. If I had some dates early enough I could put in for vacation days. I don't want to miss this one!:ride:

Sombeech
11-25-2010, 08:08 PM
The video is uploaded http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41323-Bad-Crash-on-Bear-Claw-Poppy