PDA

View Full Version : Help Need some help deciding on photo's for a book

p40whk
11-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Thought I'd ask for some help and get some opinions on which photo's to put in a book I'm building with AdoramaPix. I took all of these pictures in Raw mode, some are HDR, others are just edited in Photoshop.

There are variations of 5 main pictures and one Pic of a tree that I went B&W with (should I even include the tree?).

Please take a look and let me know which one you like out of each set (I put caption names at the bottom of each pic in my album)

Here's a link to the Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffschaber/CanTDecide?feat=directlink

I keep going back and forth on these and thought I'd put them up here where people familiar with the areas and photography could give me some feedback.

Thanks for taking a look!

Here's the imbedded photo's:

CanTDecide

asdf
11-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I like this one.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_iFvCrmAyUYk/TOAVoGfXVuI/AAAAAAAAAqs/ZBwTqO6onAs/s800/Mesa_Verde_3191_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

p40whk
11-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah, that's probably my favorite of the 4. I've had people tell me they like the more neutral one (I think it was the third in the set) and I kind of liked the more radical modifications but keep coming back to this one as well.

Thanks for the input

ratagonia
11-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Kiva3. I like Kiva 2 better, but it emphasizes all the foot print parts on the floor - not so good.

Tree 3

B&W - like!

Subway 1 - unless of course, I needed a horizontal

Water Slot 1 - much more dynamic

Bryce 1 - but it doesn't do it for me.

I might be wanting Sub1 and WaterSlot1 for the next Zion Guide - those are pretty sharp. Throw me an email at CanyoneeringUSA at Gmail dot com if interested.

Tom

p40whk
11-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the input Tom, sent you an email.

Cirrus2000
11-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Interesting how opinions can differ. Very subjective stuff.

I like Kiva 1 or 3. Probably 1 best (for the warm redness).
Tree 4
B&W = good (not great, but good)
Subway 2 - gives more context, wish the colour were more like Sub 1
Water Slot 1
Bryce 1

asdf
11-14-2010, 07:38 PM
For thee tree shots I like the detail in Tree 3 but the sky is over saturated with a bit HDR of halo.
If it was mine I would do some layering with Tree 1 and 3 ...
here is my quick lowres edit

ibenick
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
At first I was thinking Kiva 3 but I now I'm thinking Kiva 1. Better range in the lighting. Water slot 1 is awesome, love the line of the cliff edge meeting the water slot and continuing.

Cirrus2000
11-14-2010, 08:54 PM
For thee tree shots I like the detail in Tree 3 but the sky is over saturated with a bit HDR of halo.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39151&stc=1&d=1289792317
Nice, Bill! THAT is the one you want, Jeff!

tanya
11-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Best - Subway 2 I like the lighting better in this one and the horizontal is different and very nice.
2nd - BW - Wonderful colors and shot.
3nd - Kiva 4 - nice cropping.
4th - Water slot 1 - very creative. I love that little stream in the Subway.
5th - Trees3

p40whk
11-15-2010, 05:13 AM

My skill with layers in photoshop is not the best but I'll work that tonight. Never considered layering the shots and hated the halo effect I was getting with the HDR. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I realize it's very subjective but wanted to see if people lean more toward one photo or another. I can't count how many hours I spent trying to get that tree right.