PDA

View Full Version : Laws on Load limit for semi shotguns?

Deathcricket
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey all, got a little worried here and just wanted some advice. I have a Mossberg 500a that had a dowel inside the spring chamber and only allowed 2 rounds. I just took it out and now I got 5 round capacity. As near as I can tell this limit is imposed for fowl hunting and it is not illegal for home defense and target shooting. I can always pop it back in guess, but it just sounds so retarded a law like this even exists. But I was curious if anyone had a difinitive answer on this.

Here's the vid in case you are curious..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AExsIaS08Go&feature=player_embedded

denaliguide
10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
removal of the plug is not illegal for home defense or target shooting. however having more than a 3 round capacity will get you a ticket when out bird hunting. i think the law was put in place to discourage taking shots which would be out of range..

Deathcricket
10-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks DG! You da man as usual. :cheers:

double moo
10-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Partially correct. You must have the plug in for migrational birds only - Ducks, Geese, and Doves here in Utah (maybe other I don't hunt). For upland birds no plug is needed - Pheasants, Chuckars, Grouse, etc... Bunnies, coyote, and anything else is fair game with as many shells as you can hold. My Xtrema holds 6 - more the merrier I say!!! I have a buddy that put an extention tube on his Beretta - 12 with one in the chamber!!! (you can buy them for various shotguns at Cabelas)

REDFOX
10-28-2010, 05:41 PM
What double moo said is 100 percent correct. It seems to be the same in most of the other states as well. I loaded my extrema with 6 slug shells while in Alaska for bear protection while flyfishing on an extreme trip.