PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV

accadacca
10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, it's really simple. Maybe the lack of a cable really throws them off too. I think maybe the specific people I am dealing with are just too rich or something... I just don't get it. :ne_nau:
:lol8:

I have an Apple TV too. Surprise, surprise! :haha: My wife texted (wish sexted :naughty:) me a little while ago saying Netflix was not working through ATV. Turns out Netflix had been down most of the day. :cry1:

ibenick
10-21-2010, 02:42 PM
:lol8:

I have an Apple TV too. Surprise, surprise! :haha: My wife texted (wish sexted :naughty:) me a little while ago saying Netflix was not working through ATV. Turns out Netflix had been down most of the day. :cry1:

I'm really not happy with the new Apple TV, I loved having the internal storage. I don't really stream anything on mine except now and then when my DVR screws up and misses an episode of something I really wanted to see. I mostly use it to store all of my music and photos. I then hook it into my distributed audio system in my house and then I can walk from room to room or out into the yard while controlling everything from my iphone or from the keypads in each area of the house. And when it's on in my living room the AppleTV cycles through all of my photos on my TV. I love it.

stefan
10-21-2010, 03:14 PM
And when it's on in my living room the AppleTV cycles through all of my photos on my TV. I love it.

that sounds like one of the best uses of a TV :2thumbs:

jman
10-21-2010, 03:57 PM
that sounds like one of the best uses of a TV :2thumbs:

For easy setup, the Apple TV is good. And I have to solicit everytime I hear AppleTV mentioned - that if u have the time, are a poweruser, and have about $500 (min), you can make one killer HTPC. Speaking of which, I need to make a thread in the tech forum spotlighting mine...

Stefan, just curious, do have one?

stefan
10-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Stefan, just curious, do have one?

no. i don't have a tv but i've been told it might/can(?) work with some computer displays. personally it's not something i would be interested in buying at this time for myself. i was just thinking with the thousands of photos people must collect it would be a really nice way of seeing them more frequently. especially when they have friends over and are hanging out and talking, it can just be going on in the background.

accadacca
10-21-2010, 04:30 PM
no. i don't have a tv but i've been told it might/can(?) work with some computer displays. personally it's not something i would be interested in buying at this time for myself. i was just thinking with the thousands of photos people must collect it would be a really nice way of seeing them more frequently. especially when they have friends over and are hanging out and talking, it can just be going on in the background.
Yep, big plus. Very cool to see the photos on any computer in the house with ease. Plus I can connect to Flickr and see some of the great Bogley members streams. :cool2:

ibenick
10-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Looks like this became the AppleTV thread.

For easy setup, the Apple TV is good. And I have to solicit everytime I hear AppleTV mentioned - that if u have the time, are a poweruser, and have about $500 (min), you can make one killer HTPC.

I looked into doing an HTPC but it boiled down to the fact that all I wanted was the music and photos. It would be awesome to have all that extra functionality, I just don't think I would use it enough. Sure wish that new Mac Mini would have come in a few hundred bucks less than it did though.

i was just thinking with the thousands of photos people must collect it would be a really nice way of seeing them more frequently. especially when they have friends over and are hanging out and talking, it can just be going on in the background.

It is awesome to have the photos streaming in those situations. It tends to mesmerize people a bit. I get a lot of compliments and people are really surprised when I tell them it's just an AppleTV. I especially like how you can have the AppleTV put a bunch of photos on the screen at once. Especially nice on a big TV. Here's what it looks like on mine, they just keep floating across the screen at different speeds:

p40whk
10-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I was looking to get rid of cable and/or satellite to save some money and had looked seriously at Apple TV and the MAC Mini but found them both lacking in what I needed them to do. I wanted to stream Netfix and be able to play over the air broadcasts from my HD antenna on the roof. Being the MAC fan I am, it was difficult for me to break down and admit that a Home Theater PC was going to be better than a MAC.

I ended up building my own HTPC system based on this thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18816470#post18816470

My system costs just short of $1K and is close to one of the premium systems they have listed but it is truly a media center PC. I use the iTunes sharing feature to listen to my music from my MAC Pro upstairs and can access my iPhoto library as well.

Apple missed the boat on this front. More people are building these systems and the MAC Mini would be the perfect platform for Apple to convert. Unfortunately Apple doesn't have a one for all solution for this and to get it you have to build your own.

Hopefully Apple will make ATV less of a hobby and more of commitment in the future.

accadacca
10-22-2010, 02:16 PM
ATV does have Netflix. Your setup sounds intriguing, but being a sports fan how would I get all the sports channels in HD? With the price of the new ATV at $99.00 it was hard to beat with all the features it has: http://www.apple.com/appletv/

I bought ATV for my wife to be able to watch movies and TV shows on the fly. She would never use it if it was too complicated. ATV fit the bill perfectly. I can also (or my wife) move it easily to another tv. It fits in the palm of the hand and I bought extra cables for my downstairs TV. Unplug an HDMI and power cable from the bedroom. Plug in HDMI, optical and power downstairs. I can take it with me on the road too. Easy...

There is no doubt I like it too. :naughty: I like it for watching podcasts, streaming movies and TV shows (commercial free) in HD, Netflix, Flickr, YouTube and all the other geeky stuff. :haha:

p40whk
10-22-2010, 04:12 PM
ATV does have Netflix. Your setup sounds intriguing, but being a sports fan how would I get all the sports channels in HD? With the price of the new ATV at $99.00 it was hard to beat with all the features it has: http://www.apple.com/appletv/

I bought ATV for my wife to be able to watch movies and TV shows on the fly. She would never use it if it was too complicated. ATV fit the bill perfectly. I can also (or my wife) move it easily to another tv. It fits in the palm of the hand and I bought extra cables for my downstairs TV. Unplug an HDMI and power cable from the bedroom. Plug in HDMI, optical and power downstairs. I can take it with me on the road too. Easy...

There is no doubt I like it too. :naughty: I like it for watching podcasts, streaming movies and TV shows (commercial free) in HD, Netflix, Flickr, YouTube and all the other geeky stuff. :haha:

When I built my system Apple TV didn't have Netflix. If you are a sports junky then it's hard to get away from a pay service but I honestly don't miss it. My system acts just like a Tivo and I have tons of movies backed up on a 1 terabyte Hard drive. I use the computer to surf the web from my couch and my photo's and videos look great on my 50" Plasma. It integrated fairly well with my MAC pro but Windows Media Center is a pretty slick tool for watching TV and recording my shows. ATV got a lot closer with the latest update but I want computing power with that box as well. When I want to burn a few 100 images to a DVD I can.

I like the ATV, just don't think it's where I want that type of device to be.