PDA

View Full Version : News Steve Jobs takes shots at Android and BlackBerry

accadacca
10-20-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/steve-jobs-holding-ipad-sternly.jpg (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/steve-jobs-takes-shots-at-android-and-blackberry/attachment/steve-jobs-holding-ipad-sternly/)
Apple CEO Steve Jobs made a series of candid remarks about RIM and the fragmented Android market, as well as the many 7-inch tablets that will soon compete with the iPad.

digitaltrends.com - Steve Jobs does not mince words. The Apple CEO and founder is known to say what

asdf
10-20-2010, 10:28 AM
The Apple CEO made a point to highlight the number of Android devices and the open nature of the platform, which he sees as a negative for user experience. “Many OEMs, like Motorola and HTC, install proprietary user interfaces to distinguish their devices. Compare that to the iPhone; every one works the same…In reality, the open versus closed debate is a smoke screen of the real issue, which is what’s best for the customer, fragmented or integrated? Apple strives for the integrated model so users aren’t the systems integrator. We think that’s a huge strength. Integrated will trump fragmented every time.”

yeah.... considering all the different android phones compared to the one iphone :lol8:

ibenick
10-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Integrated will trump fragmented every time.:lol8:

I dunno man. I think Jobs has a good point right there. For power users it's good to have the control that comes with that kind of fragmentation but for the average idiot the iPhone ecosystem is really quite nice. Wait, did I just call myself an idiot?

asdf
10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I guess that explains why I know a dozen people that are pleased as punch after switching from the Iphone to Android and cant think of a single person thats ever switched the other way around.

or does it :naughty:

Iceaxe
10-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Apple has controlled/dominated the different markets several times in the past, yet they always manage to somehow screw the pooch and end up holding the brown end of the stick.... I don't see why this time around should be any different....

Maybe its just me but when your battle plan is always the same (tight control over your product), and you win most of the skirmishes at the beginning but eventual end up losing the war..... maybe it's time to come up with a new battle plan?

I've yet to see this "betamax" approach work in the computer world......

accadacca
10-20-2010, 12:06 PM
IMO some of the Android interfaces do look pretty disgusting. :bootyshake:

asdf
10-20-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.news.com.au/technology/ipad/seven-inches-is-enough-rim-tells-jobs/story-fn5knrwy-1225941209049

stefan
10-21-2010, 01:14 PM
but for the average idiot the iPhone ecosystem is really quite nice. Wait, did I just call myself an idiot?

:lol8:

kinda, but i'd ask you why you need to resort to "the average idiot"? how about the average person who just wants shit to work seemlessly (it's 2010) and only wants to spend time worrying about the stuff that actually is worth worrying about?

ibenick
10-21-2010, 01:19 PM
:lol8:

kinda, but i'd ask you why you need to resort to "the average idiot"? how about the average person who just wants shit to work seemlessly (it's 2010) and only wants to spend time worrying about the stuff that actually is worth worrying about?

Just trying to make the droid users feel smart. They like that. :lol8:

But in reality even Apple's simple to use, closed ecosystem is too confusing for some people. I've been troubleshooting our client's Apple TV/iPad syncing problems a lot lately. I just don't understand how it's so hard to understand. You just click what you want on there and hit sync. Don't get it. :wallbash:

stefan
10-21-2010, 01:21 PM
But in reality even Apple's simple to use, closed ecosystem is too confusing for some people. I've been troubleshooting our client's Apple TV/iPad syncing problems a lot lately. I just don't understand how it's so hard to understand. You just click what you want on there and hit sync. Don't get it. :wallbash:

i think, regardless of the device, there is always a learning curve for some (and i would never claim that apple is flawless)

ibenick
10-21-2010, 01:24 PM
i think, regardless of the device, there is always a learning curve (and i would never claim that apple is flawless)

But with Apple products it seems like once you know how to sync your ipod everything else should be second nature. That's the beauty of it and also why I'm bashing my head against the wall with the AppleTV/iPad issues. It's all pretty much the same process.

stefan
10-21-2010, 01:27 PM
But with Apple products it seems like once you know how to sync your ipod everything else should be second nature. That's the beauty of it and also why I'm bashing my head against the wall with the AppleTV/iPad issues. It's all pretty much the same process.

true

maybe some have a hard time extrapolating from a simpler device like an ipod to more expansive device like appleTV/ipad/iphone/ipod touch?

accadacca
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
I have never had the need to read the instructions on any Apple product. My wife also just picks them up and starts using them. They just work intuitively.

With other products the first thing I do is read the manual. It speaks volumes about a product if you need instructions to use it or how often instructions are needed.

ibenick
10-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, it's really simple. Maybe the lack of a cable really throws them off too. I think maybe the specific people I am dealing with are just too rich or something... I just don't get it. :ne_nau: