PDA

View Full Version : A running forum!!

TreeHugger
10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow, I havent been on Bogley in a LONG time! How long has this forum been here? Anyway, pretty excited to see a running forum and may even peruse it once in a while - haha! :-)
Had a great running season this spring/summer/fall. Am proud to say I successfully completed the Triple Trail Challenge, and had a blast doing it. Not sure what I'm going to do next, but I've decided no more marathons next summer so that I dont have to commit the time to training and can do more other stuff, like ride my bike! I will do a few half marathons though: want to do a personal best at the Salt Lake half in April and would like to do the Capital Half after that. Then.... who knows.
What are your running goals over the winter and for next year?

Riseforms
10-18-2010, 08:32 PM
This winter? More cross training a few maintenance miles. Looking forward to a little break after Nov. 6th.

Next year...if all goes well, the dreaded hundred.

Thomas
10-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Last year was a lot of mountain biking, this year has been all running. I ran the Moab Half, Hobble Creek Half, St. George Marathon, and Wahsatch Steeple Chase (a trail run). I much rather run trail than pavement, but I also much rather mountain bike than road bike.

Next year I have signed up for the Moab Red Hot 50k. I have biked most of the course it includes Gemini Bridges, Gold Bar Rim, and Poison Spider Trail. I love the course and while it will probably kill me, I am excited. After that not sure; if Moab goes well there are some trail runs on Antelope Island that look fun. Riseforms which 100 are you thinking of doing? I have kicked around the idea of running one but am scared of committing.

TreeHugger
10-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Riseforms, I think you mean the REVERED 100! :-) Good for you! I tried to do Red Mountain 50k this spring, but some plantars facaiitis killed that - I got all the training in but the last long run put it over the top ... havent fully recovered, but was able to do the TTC and Hidden Peak Challenge with intensive rehab. I think my biomechanics really just arent up to that kind of distance (50 milers, etc.), unfortunately. Perhaps I started running at too old an age, or perhaps I'm terrible at training and I'm just weak (hips, gluts, etc.) One thing I would like to do is a Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon, I think probably not this next year, but after that.
Thomas, what time of year is the Moab race? That sounds like an awesome trail run - I'd be a little afraid of the heat, though. One think I dont do well, is heat.

Riseforms
10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Dreaded, revered..guess it depends on the outcome.
Thomas, I'm thinking the Bear.
TreeHugger, the Red Hot is usually in February. It was snowy as hell this year. They couldn't even get some aid stations set up due to access issues. Other years have looked pretty pleasant though.

Thomas
10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
TreeHugger, the Moab Red Hot 50k is February 19, 2011. If you google Moab Red Hot 50k there are several race reports, and even a few people running with a video recorder. Typically the temp is cold at the start (around freezing) but the rest of the race it is between 45-55 which is nice running weather. I would also like to run from Rim to Rim, this weekend we are going from the North rim to the South. I am very excited.:clap:

Rau_Dawg33
10-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Next year Im looking forward to doing the Epic Cache-Teton Relay again. Also the Epic Oregon Relay.

I also have big hopes to do an ultra next summer. Thinking about the Goblin Valley 50k. Anyone done that one before?

trackrunner
10-19-2010, 08:41 PM
my wife wants to do together rim to rim to rim over 2 days and run across Zion

canyonphile
10-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Nice to see this forum getting some traffic!

Since moving to Durango from CT 3 months ago, I have finally resumed running:clap:, and it didn't take as long as I feared before I could run at elevation again without feeling like I was going to pass out. We have an amazing trail network area a block away from where we live that makes running enjoyable.

My goal next year, assuming I don't get some injury or other issue, is to run Imogene. It's a 17 mile run over the Imogene Pass (a jeep road) that connects Ouray, CO with Telluride. A major ass-kicker, for sure, especially for me who isn't a strong hill runner.

I've done Grand Canyon R2R hike/runs 4 times back when I was living in AZ...they were a blast. Two of those were R2R2R, but unlike some of the hardcore ultra runner types who did them nonstop, I split my return leg up with a shower, a hot dinner at the North Rim Lodge, and an 8-hr nap in a bed :mrgreen:. Much more fun that way.

Thomas - how did your r2r go? We typically did it over the Columbus Day weekend as well, which is the last weekend the north rim is open.

If there's interest, it would be fun to plan a Bogley r2r trip next year. It helps if there's at least one person willing to shuttle gear from S to N rims and back, and who can pick people up at the NK trailhead and take them to the cabins or hotel. The cabins and hotel rooms sell out rapidly for the first two weekends in Oct with everyone doing the same thing, but we stayed at the campground one year which was okay. Not my first choice to sleep in a tent after having hiked/run 23 miles, but it was better than not doing it at all.

I'd love to do some races around Moab; thanks for posting the info about the Red Hot 50K. Not sure I could handle something that long, though...

Thomas
11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
The rim to rim trip was awesome.:clap: I have heard a lot about the hike, but actually going was a great experience. Next year we would like to try a R2R2R, but will have to wait and see who will come. The weather was great, a little rainy in the morning, but the rest of the day was perfect. It took us about 12 hours to hike, I would love to run the course, but even hiking that slow I felt like I missed some of the experience. Staying overnight would be a lot more fun. Here are some pictures of the trip.38845 38844 38843

canyonphile
11-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Thomas - glad you had a good time - doing a R2R is addicting, that's for sure :nod:. I think it was '05 when it rained on the north to south leg of the trip I did, and I was stuck without fleece or any warm clothes for a couple of hours at the south rim waiting for the person shuttling my gear (and car keys!) to finally show up. That was a bit un-fun, but otherwise, the trips have always been a blast. I went with a group of Flagstaff outdoor folks for all but the first year I did it.

Another good item to have along are trekking poles...I used them on the last R2R I did, breaking them out just past the bridge you cross before the NK uphill grind (and where no running was taking place on my part by that time :lol8:), and they made a world of difference.

I've started and come out at both SK and BA trails, and even though BA adds a couple of miles, I prefer it because of the water stops and no need to use the shuttle to get back to the main part of the park. If you can swing it to stay the night and do both legs, it's even more fun.

TreeHugger
11-01-2010, 07:49 PM
I might be interested in a r2r trip next year. I wasnt going to plan on doing any long running (no more than half marathons) next summer/fall so that I can get more miles on the mountain bike and do other stuff, but I would consider training for that. Let's keep a conversation up about it. Like I said, my only hesitation is the heat - the rain sounds great! - what time do ya'all start in order not to be at the bottom in the heat of the day? We were at the the GC this past October - the weekend of the 15th and it was 95 at the bottom!

canyonphile
11-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I might be interested in a r2r trip next year. I wasnt going to plan on doing any long running (no more than half marathons) next summer/fall so that I can get more miles on the mountain bike and do other stuff, but I would consider training for that. Let's keep a conversation up about it. Like I said, my only hesitation is the heat - the rain sounds great! - what time do ya'all start in order not to be at the bottom in the heat of the day? We were at the the GC this past October - the weekend of the 15th and it was 95 at the bottom!

Excellent! I only ended up running about 16 miles of the trails, max, and not fast, so it didn't pound the bejesus out of my knees and hips. The key to doing these R2R's is: 1) as late in the season as possible - first two weeks of Oct, right before they close the north rim for the season; 2) get an EARLY start. Ideally, be on the trail before sunrise. That way, you're past the worst parts at the hottest part of the day. Also, there is something magical about being in the Canyon during sunrise. I've also seen bighorn sheep on 2 of the trips, and the short side trip to Ribbon Falls is worth it as well. The first year I did this trip, we got on the trail by 5 or 5:30 a.m., I think, and I was out around 2 p.m., I think. Even the last time I did it and started after sunrise, the heat still wasn't an issue. Some light rain when it's not windy or too cold is definitely a welcome relief as well.

There is plenty of water along the BA-NK trails, and if starting down SK, it's only 7 miles to Phantom Ranch, so that's easy to do with carried water.

If doing a R2R2R, I personally like doing south-north-north-south. First, it's easier, and second, there are more services there (food, lodging, etc.). It's a bit more out of the way if you're coming from the north, but the drive to the south rim is awesome, and either way, someone's going to have to shuttle the gear and maybe some peeps who only want to do one of the legs. I think reservations for the hotel and cabins open up about 6 months in advance, and they usually sell out almost immediately, so it's good to plan ahead. I've stayed in the motel, the cabins and the campground on the North Rim. My preference is the cabins - they are rustic and and quiet. You can fit up to 6 people (or 8 if two are willing to sleep on the floor) in a cabin.

On the south rim, I've camped at Mather 2x and stayed at the Bright Angel cabins. I may have driven up really early from Flagstaff one year, which I don't recommend. So, there are plenty of options. Camping with a group was fun, although getting out of a tent at dark-thirty when it's around freezing outside isn't always the easiest thing to do :wink:.

Let's definitely keep a dialog going; I really want to do it again now that I'm back in the region. It's about a 6-7 hr. drive to either the north or south rims from Durango, so not as convenient as when I lived in Flag or Prescott, but still worth it :nod:

trackrunner
12-02-2010, 07:34 PM
bump

another run I've wanted to do is run across Bryce sometime in the summer. I'm leaning towards about half of the total on trails in Bryce Amphitheater (fairyland loop, queens garden, peekaboo, to bryce point) and the other half on under the rim trail (bryce point to swamp canyon or further).

canyonphile
12-05-2010, 08:07 AM
bump

another run I've wanted to do is run across Bryce sometime in the summer. I'm leaning towards about half of the total on trails in Bryce Amphitheater (fairyland loop, queens garden, peekaboo, to bryce point) and the other half on under the rim trail (bryce point to swamp canyon or further).

This sounds like a blast. I've only been to Bryce once, and only hiked along the rim, but it had "trail run" written all over it, esp. down below the rim. Any idea how many miles that would be?

I want to do the East Rim trail in Zion as a trail run one of these days; it was a great hike that would be sweet to run.

trackrunner
12-05-2010, 09:06 AM
This sounds like a blast. I've only been to Bryce once, and only hiked along the rim, but it had "trail run" written all over it, esp. down below the rim. Any idea how many miles that would be?

the under the rim trail goes from Bryce Point to Rainbow Point 22.9 miles one-way and 4,600 feet of climbing south-to-north, 5,400 feet of climbing north-to-south.

But this does not include anything in Bryce Amphitheater. That's why I came up with this run idea:

I'm leaning towards about half of the total on trails in Bryce Amphitheater (fairyland loop, queens garden, peekaboo, to bryce point) and the other half on under the rim trail (bryce point to swamp canyon or further).

the portion under Bryce Amphitheater is 9.7+ miles (probably a lot of vertical since it's starts from down to amphitheater, back to rim, down to ampitheater, and back up to rim) and from Bryce point to swamp canyon is an additional 10.5 miles so 20.2+ miles not including the mileage back to the rim from swamp canyon connector trail.

I want to do the East Rim trail in Zion as a trail run one of these days; it was a great hike that would be sweet to run.

I actually want to do the Zion Traverse 48 miles from Lee's Pass to the East Rim entrance 10,000ft of climbing.

stevebucknor1
12-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I Had a great running season this spring/summer/fall. I Am proud to say I successfully completed the Triple Trail Challenge, and had a blast doing it. Not sure what I'm going to do next, but I've decided no more marathons next summer so that I don't have to commit the time to training. This is the really amazing experience. I can never forget this moment for my whole life. This is the really unforgettable. Amazing!!!