PDA

View Full Version : New Phone, What Apps?

tallsteve
10-03-2010, 05:37 PM
For those of you with phones using the Android OS, what are your must have apps? I just got the Samsung Fascinate. My favorite I've found is My Tracks, GPS route tracker by google I believe. Used it on my mtn. bike ride in AF Canyon yesterday. Cool to view the after ride data. The phone never lost GPS signal, even in the deep forested hollows. The barcode scanner app has also been fun to play around with. I have been less than impressed with the games.
Overall a huge step up from what I had. Loving it so far.

asdf
10-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Launcher Pro is an improved "desktop" with a scrolling icon bar thats a must have for me.

Google Sky is Awesome.
Mort player for music (it works off of folder structure rather than ID3 tags)
Dolphin HD browser is the best android browser period
"Beautiful widgets" is awesome but a lot of newer phones come with it pre-installed.
I have a Sega emu that was 2 or 3 bucks - I rock old school Mortal Kombat more than any other game right now.

Sombeech
10-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Android VNC. You can remote your other computers if you've set up a VNC client on them. Handy for checking your machine if you're on the run or logging in and giving somebody support.

And of course, Tapatalk so you can get the mobile version of bogley. :cool2:

bigred72
10-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Download Every Trail app as well. It is for the iPhone and Android market.

tallsteve
10-04-2010, 10:40 AM
And of course, Tapatalk so you can get the mobile version of bogley. :cool2:

Do I need the pay version or will the free one work?

p40whk
10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Pandora, great app for the iPhone and pretty sure they have it for Android as well.

archbishop
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM
A few have already been mentioned. I also like "Iheartradio" Great internet radio. Some have mentioned Pandora, but I chose IheartRadio because there was no account to set up. Just what I need one more account some where on the web....... If you're into geocaching then the must have is c:geo I also like Springpad as a great note taker. I appreciate that I can most of the typing on my desktop computer and then check my notes from my phone. (you do have to set up a free account though.)
I use Documents to go for office use. Documents, spreedsheets, powerpoint, and pdfs fairly compatible with MS office. It's not free though, but worth the money.
Oh one final thing, even though it's already been said, get dolphin web browser, I can't stress enough how much better it than what comes with Android.

tallsteve
10-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Sorry to bring this up but I'm flummoxed! How do you transfer, with the USB cable a video, from the phone to a computer? I know there's got to be a way but my non-techie brain can't find it. I've played around with the V-Cast Media manager and it seems to be worthless with very little how-to help. I see how I can upload a video if I'm at home on my wireless network, but no wireless network here at the office. Help!

Sombeech
10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Do I need the pay version or will the free one work?
The free version will let you view bogley, but the paid version from Tapatalk will let you post and even upload pictures from your phone to your post. I think it's 3 or 4 bucks.

Sombeech
10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorry to bring this up but I'm flummoxed! How do you transfer, with the USB cable a video, from the phone to a computer? I know there's got to be a way but my non-techie brain can't find it. I've played around with the V-Cast Media manager and it seems to be worthless with very little how-to help. I see how I can upload a video if I'm at home on my wireless network, but no wireless network here at the office. Help!

There must be some mode on your phone, once you plug it in via USB to your computer, your PC will recognize it either as the device itself or as a Removable Disk. I know on my phone I have to tap a certain mode on the screen. Do you see anything on your phone screen once you plug it in?