PDA

View Full Version : So... how'd you get to be so awesome?

DWayne27
10-02-2010, 07:22 PM
I know there are a lot of really amazing photographers on the forum here, and I am wondering how you acquired your skills? Just been around cameras long enough you figured out how to do it all? Read a lot of books on the subject? Actual real photography classes? Something else?

elkshadow
10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
I have taken a lot of awesome pictures in my time but I think humility will win this thread. I learned basic techniques with film. You only get one chance with film. When you push the button, it's over. I haven't shared a lot of my best stuff here but I'm sure everyone will tell you that practicing correctly is the only way to become 'awesome." Your eye can see detail and ranges of light that cameras cannot. Training your eyes to "see like film" is the trick.

1. Use a tripod (with IM and VR this is not as important but the sharpest shots will always come from a mounted camera no matter what)
2. Don't shoot with sunglasses on (digital only)
3. Learn basic post production editing techniques.
4. HDR is da bomb.

Dr. Nebz
10-03-2010, 05:21 PM
The perfect image or print is always a work in progress. I have been into photography since the 8th grade. More recently I have moved into the digital realm. Now I am a photography student at Salt Lake Community College. This is my second year of the two year program there.

My advice is as follows:

1. Learn your camera. Read the manual. Shoot basic things to get comfortable with exposure. Then move on to more complicated subjects.
2. Absorb as much photography knowledge as you can. You can never have enough knowledge when it comes to shooting pictures.
3. As photography is a changing creative outlet, learn all you can from the capture to the post process for film and digital.
4. Think outside the box. Try new things. Especially with digital, try numerous exposures and learn to recognize certain lighting conditions.
5. Understand what photography is, capturing light and time. This will help you with the creative process and exposure.
6. Try, if you can, to shoot film. It is a totally different animal than digital is.
7. Most importantly, have fun! The challenge is the fun! If you are not having fun shooting, then maybe photography is not for you.

Here is my site if you want to check out some of my photography:

http://www.christianpaulphotography.com/home.html

asdf
10-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Bruce Campbell explains it pretty well .. hail to king :naughty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1OxkFOK18

Dr. Nebz
10-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Bruce Campbell explains it pretty well .. hail to king :naughty:

Bruce Campbell rocks!

homerj
10-05-2010, 08:50 PM