PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Zion Right Fork Trip Report

spinesnaper
09-29-2010, 09:51 PM
In June, my canyoneering partner and I were in Zion and did Das Boot/Left Fork, the West Rim Trail, and Behunin in a three-day period. We actually planned to do the Right Fork instead of the West Rim Trail but when we arrived at the dinosaur tracks at 5 PM on the first day, we look at each other at decided that discretion was the better part of valor. So the next day we gazed longingly at the West Fork drainage from the West Rim Trail.

We returned to Zion this past weekend to do the West Fork as a two-day trip. Red Rock Shuttle picked us up from the Right Fork Parking lot at 8:20 AM on Sunday, September 26. We were on the Wildcat Connector Trail at 9:15 AM. We bypassed the initial rappels. However, given the bush whacking that following the drainage entailed, I can

jman
09-29-2010, 09:59 PM
very nice! thanks for the detailed info.!
I still need to do this one day...:cry1:

ratagonia
09-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Excellent, thanks for the TR and great pictures, Ken.

The information in The Book is much more up to date than the info on the website. Glad you figured it out, and didn't have to do the scary Lava block climb we did, that first trip.

Tom

ratagonia
09-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Cool place, very good to conduct here our adhd wilderness program this coming November. Any suggestion about who much is the expenses per day and per head or is there any authority that offering package price for about one week activity?

The Right Fork would not be so hot for kids in November. The canyon runs east / west (well, actually northeast to southwest) so it does not get much sun, that time of year. cold all day long.

It is a Wilderness setting. I don't believe the Park would be amendable to your kind of wilderness program in the Backcountry. Cost per day? Whatever you spend... bring your own everything.

Tom :moses:

uintahiker
09-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Excellent TR! The Right Fork has been on my list for a while. Not sure when I'll get to it though...

JSprow
10-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the wonderful pictures and writeup. A buddy and I are likely doing this in just over a week so this is very helpful. Hopefully our route finding (and reading) skills are sufficient.

We'll do it in 2 days and from reading it may be tight time wise to get to the Alcove given we need a shuttle in the AM and the sun sets earlier.

Quick question: Is it quicker to double rap (the two noted 75' raps) into the canyon rather than do the no rap scramble? Figure any time advantage we should use on that first day. Thanks.

ratagonia
10-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the wonderful pictures and writeup. A buddy and I are likely doing this in just over a week so this is very helpful. Hopefully our route finding (and reading) skills are sufficient.

We'll do it in 2 days and from reading it may be tight time wise to get to the Alcove given we need a shuttle in the AM and the sun sets earlier.

Quick question: Is it quicker to double rap (the two noted 75' raps) into the canyon rather than do the no rap scramble? Figure any time advantage we should use on that first day. Thanks.

If your group is small and proficient, then doing two short raps in Little Blue would be faster than hiking further and bushwhacking through the roses.

Tom :moses:

JSprow
10-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks Tom. We're old, just 2 of us, and reasonably proficent so we'll do the raps. I'll make a vow to report back on whatever adventure we create.

ratagonia
10-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Three and one half inches of rain at my house, the last few days. 50 miles away, but perhaps indicative.

Which means many places will have fairly clean pothole water to filter, thus making the alcove is not a necessity. Quite a nice place to camp however... but count on all pools being full, which will make that last section to the Alcove considerably colder and possibly slower than usual.

At the Alcove, if you are willing to get wet, going down the watercourse is much faster and certainly cooler. Wetsuits you will be wearing??? This is almost drysuit conditions.

Tom

JSprow
10-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Tom, BTW we've used your VERY useful site, tips, and stories for years thanks to Jonathon Z. So I wanted to say thanks which I forgot to do earlier.

That's a LOT of rain. Knowing we don't HAVE to get to Alcove will be a relief. We're gonna rent drysuits at ZAC. They are lighter and we're used to them. With them on we're not afraid of swimming which does make things more fun. We're used to be "waterproof". Good training perhaps from Mr. Z.

So there are nice places before and nearby the Black Pool. Or earlier than that?

Logistics wise (permit, rentals etc) we won't be able to hit the trail till about 9ish. Yikes!

ratagonia
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Tom, BTW we've used your VERY useful site, tips, and stories for years thanks to Jonathon Z. So I wanted to say thanks which I forgot to do earlier.

That's a LOT of rain. Knowing we don't HAVE to get to Alcove will be a relief. We're gonna rent drysuits at ZAC. They are lighter and we're used to them. With them on we're not afraid of swimming which does make things more fun. We're used to be "waterproof". Good training perhaps from Mr. Z.

So there are nice places before and nearby the Black Pool. Or earlier than that?

Logistics wise (permit, rentals etc) we won't be able to hit the trail till about 9ish. Yikes!

Thanks. Just be sure to use the book, rather than the website. MUCH more up to date in the book.

Weeelllll... there are three different route options. The classic Right Fork enters via Little Blue / Wildcat / Seeps over the Left/Right Pass, down a bit (to Point "J"), then over and up the ridge to the hanging valley then down the Giant Staircase to the canyon floor. At that point, the Right Fork turns right (The Turn) and penetrates the mesa, going deep, dark and at the moment wet, with lots of boulder hopping and PITA travel, including some swims and a few rappels - to the Grand Alcove. From there, the canyon opens up a bit and walking is easier, among the poison ivy, and there are a few falls, then it really opens up, etc.

The Hammerhead Variation raps in from the West Rim into the very top of the Right Fork, across from Potato Hollow. Good if you are into that sort of thing, but it does involve quite a few rappels and some downclimbing. With proficiency, it CAN be the same time as the classic route, but involves more rope, opportunities for misfortune, and with any size group at all is likely to be slower.

The Upper Right Fork Direct is one of the best sections of canyon in Zion, but adds 1-2 hours to travel between Point J and The Turn. And is wet.

In SUMMER, it is hard to get from the trailhead to the Alcove by any route, before dark, even with a reasonable start. There are several reasonable places to stay before The Turn, but I would not enter the dark, dank section without at least a modicum of commitment to make it to the Alcove. Some good spots:

- just past Point J, in the main drainage (would be on the Direct Route) are some open slickrock areas that might work well.
- up in the Hanging Valley before heading down the Giant Staircase (might be the best, most sunlight, most scenic, driest)
- after descending the Giant Staircase, in the canyon bottom just before The Turn.

All these depend on available pothole water, with the Hanging Valley fairly dubious, but the others pretty solid right now, after a big rain.

Which also sets you up for a fairly long second day, but... what ya gonna do, quit your job???

T

JSprow
10-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Wow. Much great infomation and clearly a route that is non-trivial for 2 days. Hup 1 2, hup 1 2. I did just order the book via Amazon so I'll have it Friday. I'm sure it will make great reading on the plane and prepping for the trip. That direct route sounds fun, just wish I didn't have to get back to work and had a leisurely 3 days. But any time in a slot canyon is great and much appreciated no matter what.

Another quick question. For general overall use (not just this canyon), would you recommend a 120' rope and pull cord or going with one longer rope. Oh, yes I realize the issues and varying opinions of each. We have always "borrowed" static ropes (we only have dynamic) in the past but are going to grab one at ZAC this go round. Likey a 8mm Imlay.

Looking forward to readigg nthe book and splashing around.

ratagonia
10-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Another quick question. For general overall use (not just this canyon), would you recommend a 120' rope and pull cord or going with one longer rope. Oh, yes I realize the issues and varying opinions of each. We have always "borrowed" static ropes (we only have dynamic) in the past but are going to grab one at ZAC this go round. Likey a 8mm Imlay.

Looking forward to reading the book and splashing around.

Well, the maximum rap for the regular RF route is 60 feet, right? So, the best setup might be two 60 feet pieces from the ZAC basement...

But, yes, could do a static 8mm rope. But really, using a pull cord for the other side has it's problems, ie, lack of flexibility. So it is hard to say. The Right Fork, with only a few, short raps, would be a good place to use one.

more at: http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes.php

Tom

spinesnaper
10-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Because of our shuttle, we hit the trail head at about 9AM. You should try to get there earlier if at all feasible. Also we did not get to the black hole until about 7PM possibly later. There were no real appetizing campsite at the bottom of the Giant Stair case. However, there were decent site just above the Stair case and with the recent rains, the pot holes that were filled with water when we went through are probably an even better source of filterable water. The black hole for us was 50 yards but with the rain I am guessing you will encounter a longer swim. I agree that this tips the trip in favor of a dry suit or a wetsuit more substantial than my 3/2 wetsuit Finally, we were benighted before making camp. I have to confess I was counting grams in my pack and took my dinky headlights. Repelling in the dark, it would have been nice to have had my 100 lumen headlight. It would have been worth another 150 grams. If you are going to make the grand alcove you will definitely pushing into darkness on that first day and you will need usable illumination from your headlight-food for thought. Finally rope length-we took my 60 mm Imlay Canyon Fire Rope. Definite overkill for this canyon but my other rope is only 100 ft.
Looking forward to your trip report.

Ken

spinesnaper
10-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Of course I meant 60 meter not 60 millimeter on the rope length!

JSprow
10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
You guys are great.

I like to have a "solid" game plan going in and knowing we are not likely to make the alcove will help us plan for the earlier options. Thanks for the detailed times Ken, that helps a lot. Stretching for unreasable goals when tired or dark can get people hurt. Or at a min, very cranky. If we camp before the turn, I'm sure the Black Hole will wake us up in the AM. We go the weekend of the 16th so hopefully water situation will still be fairly reasonable.

Likely get the 8mm rope but while I'd prefer the 120' I don't think that's long enough here. Of course all the info I got is from Tom's "old" maps/info noting a 75' (or 90') rap in. So if I am wrong just shout. Yes, the book is on the way :)

I can't thanks you enough and will write something up.

ratagonia
10-07-2010, 02:34 PM
You guys are great.

I like to have a "solid" game plan going in and knowing we are not likely to make the alcove will help us plan for the earlier options. Thanks for the detailed times Ken, that helps a lot. Stretching for unreasable goals when tired or dark can get people hurt. Or at a min, very cranky. If we camp before the turn, I'm sure the Black Hole will wake us up in the AM. We go the weekend of the 16th so hopefully water situation will still be fairly reasonable.

Likely get the 8mm rope but while I'd prefer the 120' I don't think that's long enough here. Of course all the info I got is from Tom's "old" maps/info noting a 75' (or 90') rap in. So if I am wrong just shout. Yes, the book is on the way :)

I can't thanks you enough and will write something up.

"The Book" gives the longest rap as 60 feet. The book is much more carefully researched than the website. You will also need to bring say 40 feet of webbing and a couple rings, as the recent rains could have mauled all the anchors, and could have created new raps. That gives you roughly 80 feet of rap length at the start, less as you whittle down the webbing, and assuming you can set up a single line, biner-block style rap.

Then again, the Little Blue raps I have as 75 feet (because we carried a 150 foot rope, and it made it doubled over). They might be shorter - let me know if they are!!!

So you might want to get a 150 foot rope.

Tom

tanya
10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
nice! :clap:

trackrunner
10-07-2010, 07:10 PM
nice TR :2thumbs:

also on my hit list

Scott Card
10-07-2010, 08:46 PM
nice TR :2thumbs:

also on my hit listX2 on both comments :2thumbs: