PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Naturalist Basin

rwpontius
09-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Last Saturday I hiked into Naturalist Basin. Mostly I went to see parts of it that I hadn't visited before and to try using a camera lens that typically I don't use. The weather was great and I had the place completely to myself. On the way out I saw people at the junction where the Naturalist Basin Trail meets the Highline Trail so most of the day was alone in spectacular scenery, a great day overall.

ibenick
09-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Nice photos! Thanks for posting. I was thinking of heading the same place last weekend... maybe I'll have to do it this weekend instead.

What was the new lens?

rwpontius
09-28-2010, 07:45 AM
The lens wasn't new, I just haven't used it much. When I bought it i thought I'd use it a lot but that didn't work out so I forced myself to use it on this hike. It is a 12-24mm lens. Of course with this lens on I ran into a small (emphasis on small) bull elk at around 11,000 feet. I have an elk dot shot at 24mm!! With substantial cropping the elk can actually be seen! You should have gone there last weekend there was plenty of room for all. I felt selfish having it all to myself-but I still enjoyed the hike.