PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Cirque of the Towers- Wind River Mountains, Wyoming. July 2001

RAM
09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
After 9 straight July's in the North Cascade's, the steep snow, moats, schrunds and crevasses had started to play with my head and I decided to retire from those objective and subjective dangers. This 10 day trip was one of the alternatives I formed to replace the Cascade trips. It was a blast just setting up camp and heading in a different direction for 20 minutes, every day and being on a quality route.

After two years not going to Washington, I looked over an album of the Cascade's again, noted how much more beautiful that range was than anywhere else I had been, and headed back for what has now been 9 straight July's back again in the Cascades. Still look back at this little "crisis of confidence" hiatus that led me to the Winds, with fondness.
Pictures?
http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/CirqueOfTowersJuly2001#

Cirrus2000
09-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Beautiful, Ram. I gotta say, though - the water looks a little chilly!

So what kind of routes are those, on the rock? Mid-5th? .7 or .8?

RAM
09-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Beautiful, Ram. I gotta say, though - the water looks a little chilly!

So what kind of routes are those, on the rock? Mid-5th? .7 or .8?

Mostly 5.6 to 5.8. There is easier and harder all over the place. The ratings are old school and stiff by modern standards. At least I thought so. We did some class 4-5.3 rambles mixed in too.