PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Tripod

ststephen
09-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Another thread of backpacking DSLRs kind of morphed into a discussion of tripods, but I'm going to start a fresh thread on tripods only.

I want to replace a broken tripod I've used for backpacking and traveling. In addition to using it for photography I've used my old backpacking tripod with a spotting scope for wildlife viewing. When you've got a scope on a tripod it really needs to come up pretty close to full height. A *little* stooping over can be OK, but certainly not having to get onto your knees.

So the criteria I'm trading off is:
- weight (and compact size)
- stability
- weight of the camera/scope it can handle
- height
- price

Summit mentioned a Mini-Sprint GM Slik that he uses. I think the price on that is quite good (<$100)? But, I also think it is not tall enough to use comforably for watching wildlife.

Carpey's Carbon Fiber Gitzo sounds nice, but I think these puppies are around $700? That's not out of the realm of consideration, but it would be nice to bring that price down.

So, what other models have folks used or considered?

asdf
09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I like Dans view of tripod shopping.

inexpensive
sturdy
lightweight

now pick two.

The Mini-Sprint GM Slik is pretty short and will not support the weight of a pro/semi pro body with a long lens. When shooting long exposures at night I set it up wide, low, and sturdy. That puts my camera a little more than knee high above the ground.

CarpeyBiggs
09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
my gitzo was $325 i think. but yeah, they are expensive.

CarpeyBiggs
09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
scratch that, the 0531 model is $450. i have a rrs bh-25 on it. 29 oz total. maximum height is just over 4 feet 2 inches. you won't find a lighter one, i'd bet. but you might find a cheaper one.

induro sells one that is around $300, but it is a few ounces heavier.

there are multiple that are taller and about 2.5 pounds (40 ounces) plus the ballhead, and they are under $100. i guess you just have to balance cost and features.

ststephen
09-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Hmm...yeah maybe two relatively cheap ones. Or at least a cheap second one. One for pure backpacking/photography and the other for when I need to do wildlife with a scope.

4 foot 2 inches won't cut it when I'm trying to id some parrot in the jungle, or if I want to watch a family of monkeys settling down for the night. Especially when the scope is pointing up, which is basically always the case.

The times I've traveled with my spotting scope it seems I was usually not doing as much (or any) backpacking. I might be schlepping my pack around on trains and busses but a couple pounds extra in that case isn't too bad. It would be nice to have a reliable tripod when backpacking though and there the pounds will certainly matter.

I'll research some more and post the ones that are candidates just to share the data. Thanks guys!

Oh and a tip for the single guys out there: setting up a tripod with a scope pointed at some cool wildlife is a great way to meet people. "Hey, want to see the bear up on that hillside better"? :naughty:

CarpeyBiggs
09-19-2010, 07:38 PM
spotting scopes are cool, but you should try that tip with a 600mm camera lens... :lol8:

ststephen
09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Dang, you got me Dan. Size *does* matter!

ibenick
09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I picked up a Manfrotto 7303YB M-Y with Ball head. Nice naming scheme Manfrotto. It's been treating me pretty good. I was a little jealous of Summit's Slik at first but I'm not sure how much I'd love the lack of height. Mine weighs in at 2.9 lbs, max height 55.9", min height 19.1". Not spectacular but for barely over $100 I'm happy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TK3EJO?ie=UTF8&tag=backcountrypo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001TK3EJO

Pelon1
09-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Oh and a tip for the single guys out there: setting up a tripod with a scope pointed at some cool wildlife is a great way to meet people. "Hey, want to see the bear up on that hillside better"? :naughty:

I thought this comment was going to be "...setting up a tripod with a scope pointed at your neighbors is a great way to find out which ones to ask out!!:lol8::lol8:

DWayne27
09-30-2010, 09:41 AM
So I am late to the game on this topic too, but since I am about to drop some cash on some gear essentials, I figured I may as well ask around first.

What am I losing by going with a more inexpensive tripod? For instance, without having put much thought in to it, I figured I would go ahead and pick this Sunpak (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=517979&is=REG#specifications) tripod up for $30. It has good reviews, and everything looked fine to me, although I dont really know what to look for in a tripod that would justify spending around the $100+ range. I am always willing to spend more money and invest in quality equipment, but even in comparing, I dont see why other tripods are worth spending so much more on. Again, I am the new one here so I dont know what to look for, and am mostly looking for a reason to justify buying better gear...

ibenick
09-30-2010, 09:58 AM
So I am late to the game on this topic too, but since I am about to drop some cash on some gear essentials, I figured I may as well ask around first.

What am I losing by going with a more inexpensive tripod? For instance, without having put much thought in to it, I figured I would go ahead and pick this Sunpak (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=517979&is=REG#specifications) tripod up for $30. It has good reviews, and everything looked fine to me, although I dont really know what to look for in a tripod that would justify spending around the $100+ range. I am always willing to spend more money and invest in quality equipment, but even in comparing, I dont see why other tripods are worth spending so much more on. Again, I am the new one here so I dont know what to look for, and am mostly looking for a reason to justify buying better gear...

When I first set out to buy a tripod I felt the same way. I didn't understand why anyone would spend a lot of money so I ended up buying this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Vista-Explorer-Lightweight-Tripod-Bag/dp/B000V7AF8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285865201&sr=8-1

It was very cheap at $25, highly rated (4.5 stars), light weight and it did end up working fine. The worst thing about it was having to make adjustments, especially to the part where the camera attaches. The ball head on nicer models is priceless. Being able to flick one knob and then frame up your shot is seriously worth some extra money. Also, the mechanical movements of my cheap tripod seem to be a lot harder than with my Manfrotto, like if you want to make one leg a little lower to even things out, it's clunkier with the cheap one. Also, consider the size once you put it away. My cheap one is a lot longer than the $100 Manfrotto I have now, not good for hiking/backpacking. I figure if you're going to dump all that cash into camera equipment you might as well get a low end of the high end tripods and a ball head as minimum. You can really get some pretty decent stuff for $100.

asdf
09-30-2010, 10:15 AM
The big problem I see with those is that the width of the legs is always locked together. I will never own another tripod that does not have an independent angle system for each leg, if you're shooting on uneven terrain its a must for stability especially with long exposures.

http://www.photographyblog.com/images/sized/images/uploads/Tripod1-269x400.jpg

DWayne27
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Alright - I am sold. Good points, I am glad I asked. The Slik looks good for me. I like that it folds up significantly smaller.

Thanks

canyonphile
09-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm glad I found this thread, as I've been needing to replace the cheapo piece of crap tripod I have with something not as flimsy.

Is this the same one you have, Summit? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614703-REG/Slik_611_806_Sprint_Mini_II_GM.html

I've never heard of this brand before, but if it's got all those features and is pretty lightweight, that's an awesome price! I was looking to get one of the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods when I had some extra $$, but those are probably a bit too heavy to carry hiking or backpacking.

Thanks for the info!

tmartenst
10-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I did a ton of research on this a few years ago and agree with Bill. If you are serious about photography and get out there often enough you are going to end up throwing down some money on a good tripod so you might as well do that now instead of burning through the $30 ones first.

I had a few different ones narrowed down including the 0531 but ultimately went with the Gitzo 1541T. The main difference is the fold up length (4 legs instead of 3) which I wanted shorter for ease of carry on luggage and the minimum/maximum heights. Two disadvantages to mine are slightly heavier weight and 4 legs introduces a little less stability than 3. As Dan mentioned you will probably end up spending a bit for a good ballhead too which brings your total up if you go the Gitzo route. I have a Kirk BH-3 and have been happy with the setup. A few other lightweight ones are the RRS (Really Right Stuff) and Markins.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, I think you've got some other mid-range options out there now too.

Also as always for decent gear at great prices, check out the buy/sell forums at fredmiranda.com. Ballheads show up there with some frequency, tripods not so much.

My tripod:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548364-REG/Gitzo_GT1541T_GT_1541T_Traveler_6X_Carbon.html

Load Capacity 17.6 lbs (8kg) Maximum Height 55.1" (140cm) Maximum Height w/o Column Extended 44.5" (113cm) Minimum Height 6.9" (17.5cm) Folded Length 16.1" (41cm) Head Attachment Fitting 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud) Weight 2.1 lbs (970g)

oldno7
10-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Lots to consider:
You like pano's--might want a level
uneven terrain--adjustable legs
several lens or cameras--quick detachable brackets
flexibility--ballhead
etc-etc-etc
Heres mine, I have a similar monopod

Dr. Nebz
10-07-2010, 11:10 AM
After breaking the cheapo that I had, I decided to use my student discount no Mac On Campus and get a Benro A-150EXU. $49.00 is not a bad price for all the features. Cant wait for it to get here. This post was very educational and informative. Thanks everyone!

http://www.benrousa.com/products/details.asp?ID=395#features