PDA

View Full Version : smiling (swimming) cricket

wndoguy
09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
A rumor got out that smiling cricket was done in 6 hours. We came in by boat in the heat of August. Not an ideal time I thought until we saw all the water in the canyon. None of us had been through before. I Had seen photos that gave me an idea of what to look for an entry. Actually we could have made it through faster if we would not have fumbled around with some of the anchors. We were prepared for the worst and got the easiest. My partners are more of the jumping into pools type than I. I couldn't resist jumping-always after someone else went first though. It's surprising how fast you can go in a canyon when you jump instead of rapping. Most of the pools where totally full. I had seen the pictures of the pit of despair though I had no Idea I was floating in it:oops:. The photo dan took of the pit made it look so much longer. The photos don't exaggerate the depth. JJ noticed the anchors high on the wall before he jumped in,unlike the rest of us. The lip on the pit was only 4 ft high. We did a simple hooking move to get out. There wasn't any sand to do a toss with. I'm sure it takes a great toss to land a bag to the next pot hole. rapping off the bad anchors was scary though they all held. What a great canyon in a very remote spot. 370363704537046go ahead and jump!37047water level under the arch37048370493705037051sorry for the lopsided video-I need a word with the camera man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkP4H7J2eU[video=youtube;CUkP4H7J2eU]http://www.youtube.com37052/watch?v=CUkPJJ wall running3705337054370553705637057Sorry, no photos of the pit.

Scott Card
09-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Nice! Thanks for posting and welcome :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Awesome first post. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Awesome first post. :2thumbs:

:iagree:

stefan
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
welcome to the group.

just to point out, the first known descenders call it Poe Canyon.

goofball
09-03-2010, 06:48 PM
nice ! that looks much funner than dry.

welcome to the group.

just to point out, the first known descenders call it Poe Canyon.

Good point, one that is frequently overlooked from what I hear. Knowing the proper name of a canyon route can contribute, or detract, greatly from the enjoyment one takes in the experience, for sure. These are matters of high importance and must be approached w/ the proper sensitivity/reverence.

Is it constrychnine, or project x ? is dave

stefan
09-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Good point

it wasn't really a point. it was more of a comment in passing.

Is it constrychnine, or project x ?

i think it's up to each person what they decide to call a canyon. if many names are common/published, i think it's helpful to know which names describe the same canyons.

i do enjoy the history of descents of all of these canyons on the colorado plateau (the little that's told, that is). i think it's interesting, especially yours.

(sorry wndoguy not trying to hijack your thread)

Wasatch
03-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Cool looking canyon.

Iceaxe
03-18-2011, 07:29 AM
sorry for the lopsided video-I need a word with the camera man

FYI: These guys have a free program to rotate video

Video Flip and Rotate (http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Video-Flip-and-Rotate.htm)

It's from DVD Video Soft, I use a lot of their products. Great stuff for free.