PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Camping on the Great Salt Lake?

riskxvx
09-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm still relatively new to the SL area, I've only visited Antelope Island once and haven't explored much else of the GSL at all. That said, a few questions:

Are there any decent landings to camp at besides Antelope?
How buggy will it be at night on the shore?
What points of interest should I check out while paddling?
Are there limits to where one is able to paddle?

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Thomas

asdf
09-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Errr.... have you spent much time around the gsl?
I would at least wait until a freeze or two to help with the no-see-ums and skeeters.... but that still won't help the smell :)

trackrunner
09-02-2010, 10:24 PM
I've actually heard there isn't a smell on the lake away from shore. of coarse you plan on camping on the shore and that is where the smell would be.

Shan
09-09-2010, 01:12 PM
It looks like this guy did it and made a write up.

http://www.utah.com/articles/great_salt_lake_kayaking.htm

If you want a longer trip continue from Egg Island across Bridger Bay to Buffalo Point. Buffalo Point is a fascinating world of boulders and sea. If you are up to a marathon trip explore remote and rugged west side of the island. The island is closed to landing beyond White Rock Bay so go prepared for a long paddle.

ibenick
09-09-2010, 02:18 PM
It looks like this guy did it and made a write up.

http://www.utah.com/articles/great_salt_lake_kayaking.htm

That write up actually makes it sound pretty nice. Hmmm....

DOSS
09-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I wish I could find the thread (it was either on Rockymountainextreme, or expeditionutah) that was talking about doing something similar.. one guy that used to work out there warned of the massive amounts of spiders along with pictures.. so be prepared.. if I still have a canoe or kayak I would tag along for sure.

Skylinerider
09-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I wish I could find the thread (it was either on Rockymountainextreme, or expeditionutah) that was talking about doing something similar.. one guy that used to work out there warned of the massive amounts of spiders along with pictures.. so be prepared.. if I still have a canoe or kayak I would tag along for sure.

Here you go:

http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887&highlight=Fremont+Island

Sombeech
09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Here you go:

http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887&highlight=Fremont+Island

registration required :sad:

poc
09-29-2010, 05:09 PM
I am planning on going out Oct 2nd. Dropping in at south marina and State Park just off I-80 on the south end of the lake. Weather permitting. If you have been out do you have any tips? I am new to Kayaking.
Thanks

ibenick
09-29-2010, 05:11 PM
I am planning on going out Oct 2nd. Dropping in at south marina and State Park just off I-80 on the south end of the lake. Weather permitting. If you have been out do you have any tips? I am new to Kayaking.
Thanks

Welcome to Bogley, poc. Don't forget to post up a trip report with some pics after your trip! Sounds like it could be awesome. :popcorn:

stan.jarvis
10-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I met a guy over 20 years ago at a scout leaders meeting who canoed the whole lake with his brother. There are fascinating things out there, but much of the shore is private and posted. The lake is near its historic low so its harder to enjoy paddle camping. And there are few spots right now where you can legally or even surreptiously unload your gear and head out. The law change the governor signed this year makes it difficult. No stink away from shore, but the waves can be fierce mid-afternoon. Bugs are mainly in a band along the shore - which is a long ways from shore bug habitat. Not as bad as other Utah locations. Several of the islands - esp. in North Arm - have landing restrictions to protect the nesting birds.

That said, 2 long trips follow each shore. You can launch at the extreme North below Locomotive Springs and island hop 70 miles along the West side, crossing under the causeway at the passage at that end - there is a flow gauge there. It's great paddling but a difficult launch & navigation due to the extent of exposed lake bottom. Its easier to launch near the Spiral Jetty (check the maps since much of the land is private), follow the peninsula South, crossing under the causeway about 4 miles out from the shore, dash over to Fremont to see the cross carved by Kit Carson in 1845, to Antelope Island, then a long slog down to the boat harbor near I-80 (home of the spider infestations). If you camp on some of the exposed lake bottom way out there, you can avoid the trespassing problems on that 50 mile run. Also avoid Farmington Bay which is home to a century's worth of municipal sewage flushed there before on-shore processing plants were constructed. I had a friend die in there in a helicopter crash.

Skylinerider
10-25-2010, 11:32 AM
registration required :sad:

So register, it don't cost you anything.

ibenick
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
So register, it don't cost you anything.

:fitz:

Time is money.