PDA

View Full Version : Northern Utah rock art

uintahiker
08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Anybody know where this rock art is?
I was there on Saturday. Northern Utah. Less than 1 mile hike round trip.

denaliguide
08-24-2010, 01:26 PM
well if you were already there then you should know where it is, duh. :lol8::lol8::roflol::roflol: are you blond? just messin with ya.

uintahiker
08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
well if you were already there then you should know where it is, duh. :lol8::lol8::roflol::roflol: are you blond? just messin with ya.

So what's it to you if I am blond?!

No guesses?

Exit 319 is a clue...

Iceaxe
08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Exit 319 on I-15?.... isn't that about Lagoon?

At first I was going to guess Stansbury Island but I think its the wrong kind of rock... I know there is some rock art out by Saratoga and some by Fairfield (Five Mile Pass).

Scott P
08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Is it near Perrish Creek?

At first I was going to guess Stansbury Island but I think its the wrong kind of rock...

Stansbury Island certainly has good petroglyphs (you should check them out if you haven't already), but I don't know of pictographs.

uintahiker
08-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Is it near Perrish Creek?

Very near Parrish Creek.

Excellent guess!:clap:

Iceaxe
08-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Is this the waypoint?
N40

uintahiker
08-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Approximately.
I've heard they're in the next canyon north as well (Barnard Creek). Anyone have any info?

Scott P
08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
And if anyone has info on the Stansbury Island rock art I'd be interested in hearing.

Unfortunately, I haven't been there in several years, so this information is old. I've been to the petroglyphs several times between the mid-1980's to the early 1990's. This was all before the official hiking trails and mountain biking trails that exist now and when there were no private land signs on the island.

Briefly put, from the south drive along the west side of the island to the first fence line. Park here and follow the south side of the fence line east to where the steep slopes of the mountain begin. Since the petroglyphs are facing upwards on rocks laying horizontally to the ground you have to look for them and have to look down to see them (rather than the normal looking at a vertical wall). They are really good petroglyphs and are carved in really hard rock.

If the fence line is still there (look for an old fence line, not a new one), they will be easy to find. If it isn't I can't think of another reference point (it was a long time ago) and they will be hard to find.

Apparently there are other petroglyphs on the island, but the ones above are the ones I know.

Iceaxe
08-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks Scott. :2thumbs:

01-04-2011, 03:32 PM
And if anyone has info on the Stansbury Island rock art I'd be interested in hearing.

Seems like i read in a book somewhere (Castleton?) that there was another boulder on Stansbury with art, but was stolen and placed on campus at BYU.

megpie
04-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Stansbury island is my favorite place to go. I have located a lot of petroglyphs out there and posted the gps locations on google maps. If you zoom in on Stansbury Island and then allow it to show the photos that are gps tagged you will find them on the south east part of the Island. I go out there all the time if any one is interested.

Iceaxe
04-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Stansbury island is my favorite place to go. I have located a lot of petroglyphs out there and posted the gps locations on google maps.

Awesome :2thumbs: and welcome to Bogley.

I also noticed Story Rock in your pictures, that one also looks pretty interesting. :nod:

megpie
04-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks! Story Rock was a big accomplishment for me and my friend, looked for that damn thing FOR-EV-ER!

Huaquero
05-15-2011, 02:47 AM
It took some research but I was able to find it too. Although I didn't find it to be as sacred as it was mentioned in the article with new pictures carved into it.

Iceaxe
05-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Is there a link to the newspaper article anywhere?

Albart
05-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi uintahiker,
I don't know where this rock art is but I will like to know where this rock art is.
Great found and sharp pictures. Do share so I will go and take a look also.

Iceaxe
05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't know where this rock art is but I will like to know where this rock art is.
Great found and sharp pictures. Do share so I will go and take a look also.

Everything you need to know to visit is right here:

Parrish Canyon Pictographs (http://climb-utah.com/WM/parrish.htm)

Map, driving directions, GPS waypoints, yada, yada.... its a nice little hike.

http://climb-utah.com/WM/Files/parrish04.jpg

Huaquero
05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Iceaxe, it was in the Tooele transcript.

Iceaxe
05-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Nope, I don't even know what the Tooele transcript is. :ne_nau:

Iceaxe
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM

So I finally found the "Story Rock" story.
http://bonnevillemariner.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/search-for-hawaiian-petroglyphs-in-skull-valley-ends-in-discovery/

Maybe I'll drive out this weekend and check out the rock.

Skylinerider
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
I love Iosepa and Story Rock. I went out a half a dozen times before I finally found it.:cool2:

Iceaxe
01-10-2012, 08:38 PM
I didn't really understand what Story Rock was until I found the article.