PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report The Cathedral in the Desert at Lake Powell - New to Me

mjn_slc
08-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Recently I journeyed from Bullfrog Marina to the storied "Cathedral in the Desert" at Lake Powell. The Cathedral is located at the end of Clear Creek Canyon which is located in the Escalante Arm. I'm posting the pictures because my description won't give the beauty justice. As you reach the end of Clear Creek Canyon you'll notice a nice water cave on your right...this marks the entry just ahead. A slow winding journey through tall & narrow canyon walls is punctuated with the echo of birds - it was honestly a little mystical. It is very narrow - we crept our 24' boat through without a scratch...all a little lucky. There's literally a spot for one boat to anchor, or perhaps a few PWC's. Once anchored we did the short hike over the ridge into the grotto. You'd think you were at Zion's - an emerald pool with lush vegetation. There's a make-shift ladder that climbs from the lower pool to more canyon exploring (we didn't take it but should have!). If you're in the Bullfrog area it's about 30 miles - took us 45 minutes each direction.

Canyonbug
08-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Recently I journeyed from Bullfrog Marina to the storied "Cathedral in the Desert" at Lake Powell....If you're in the Bullfrog area it's about 30 miles - took us 45 minutes each direction.

Awesome, thanks for the pics. We are heading out to the Lake Saturday just to do some sight seeing and this is the area I was going to go to. I am glad to know it is only about 45 min (although we'll be putting in at Halls). I have been looking at maps, but it's hard to tell time based on the distance. This arm of the lake is one that I have wanted to look at for several months now.

jman
08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Add one to the list! Thanks for posting!

blueeyes
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Add one to the list! Thanks for posting!

X2 My in-laws are planning a trip next summer. About 5 families in all. We are going to rent boats and spend about a week down there. Have to see if I can talk them into exploring this Cathedral. Thanks for the report.