PDA

View Full Version : News This Is the Warmest Year Ever Recorded (PICS)

accadacca
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/excessive-sweating-300x298.jpg​

blogs.seattleweekly.com - There's never been a hotter year than this year. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100813_globalstats.html) has been tracking temperature measurements for both the water and the land since 1880, and so far 2010 is registering at about one degree above the 20th century average. Pretty, possibly apocalyptic pictures after the jump.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/temperature%20anomalies%20january%20to%20july.jpg​

Canada and the Northeast have experienced the most unseasonably warm temperatures in the year to date.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/temperature%20anamolies%20july%202010.png​

While Russia, which has been aflame for the past month, was by far the warmest its ever been in the month of July, with Moscow's previous high temperature being eclipsed by a full four degrees when the mercury hit 102 on July 30.

Happy miserable summer, everyone!

ibenick
08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Wait a sec. I thought it snowed a bunch in the northeast last winter and that meant that global warming was absolutely impossible?! :lol8:

Jaxx
08-17-2010, 02:24 PM
what did it look like before 1971?

PunchKing
08-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Judging by the chest of that woman it can't be that warm. :eek2:

rockgremlin
08-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Come on down to Moab....this has been a VERY mild summer so far. Hell I've been walking around Moab with a rain slicker and a sweatshirt for the past two weeks now. Somehow all of this "global warmings" has yet to show up in SE Utah...

stefan
08-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Come on down to Moab....this has been a VERY mild summer so far. Hell I've been walking around Moab with a rain slicker and a sweatshirt for the past two weeks now. Somehow all of this "global warmings" has yet to show up in SE Utah...

as you know global warming doesn't imply uniformly hot everywhere all year round. the increase in temperature is on average and it predicts more variable weather with potentially larger mood swings which could occur over short and long periods of time

JONBOYLEMON
08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Wait just one minute. Are you saying we had a year that was hotter than the average????? No way.

Oh wait a minute, wont it always be more or less than the average any time you do a study????

P.S. it snowed yesterday!!!!!!!!:clap:

rockgremlin
08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
as you know global warming doesn't imply uniformly hot everywhere all year round. the increase in temperature is on average and it predicts more variable weather with potentially larger mood swings which could occur over short and long periods of time

More than anything this was mostly me just complaining that I had expected summertime in Moab to be much hotter than it has been. We've gotten a LOT of rain recently, and temps have been much cooler than expected. I love the heat. I'll take 100 degree temps over anything below 40 any day of the week.

stefan
08-20-2010, 01:14 PM
More than anything this was mostly me just complaining that I had expected summertime in Moab to be much hotter than it has been. We've gotten a LOT of rain recently, and temps have been much cooler than expected. I love the heat. I'll take 100 degree temps over anything below 40 any day of the week.

I hear ya. def sounds unusual.

livin' in moab must be nice, rock. how's it treatin' ya? aside from the weather, that is

blueeyes
08-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Wait just one minute. Are you saying we had a year that was hotter than the average????? No way.

Oh wait a minute, wont it always be more or less than the average any time you do a study????

P.S. it snowed yesterday!!!!!!!!:clap:

I heard that yesterday! We were in meetings and one of my co-workers showed us a text from her friend in PC. I just laughed and laughed. That is awesome!!! Could ya send some down here. I want snow no rain.

stefan
08-20-2010, 01:56 PM

i am not sure who you mean by 'we'. it depends on location and it depends on the statistic. when it says "The combined global land and ocean surface temperature made this July the second warmest on record, behind 1998, and the warmest averaged January-July on record" this is both an average over time and across space (a ton of locations on the surface of the ocean and on land). it doesn't mean everywhere on land and ocean and it doesn't mean at every instant of time. so it's possible to be somewhere where it may be colder than the average, but still have the majority of the planet surface above average over the period of time being looked at.

well, it's possible you could hit the average too

P.S. it snowed yesterday!snow rocks!:snowguy: