PDA

View Full Version : Help Renting my first Kayak for the Green River

Sombeech
08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
My family takes an annual fishing trip down the Green River from the Flaming Gorge Dam to Little Hole.

The river itself is pretty mild with only a couple of named rapids that I feel comfortable floating through on a small pontoon raft. Most of that section of river is pretty tame and I figured I can use those stillwater spots to learn to roll the kayak, stuff like that - while everybody else is just fishing the holes.

Where would you suggest renting, what type of kayak should I get, and do you have any tips?

I feel that I'm pretty comfortable in the water and I've got good balance, I wouldn't mind getting one of the shorter kayaks.

Shan
08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Maybe a little more info would help?

Is it just you in the kayak?
Do you need to transport any gear (like tents, etc)?
How many miles are you going each day?

Sombeech
08-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Maybe a little more info would help?

Is it just you in the kayak?
Do you need to transport any gear (like tents, etc)?
How many miles are you going each day?

It'll just be me, the rest of the party will be fishing from their pontoons. I won't be staying the night, but if so all of that gear would be in the vehicle. We're only going to float 7 miles. In fact here is the route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100749669156101003180.000485f0cc0bd3cfda2a5&z=13

Alex
08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't recommend learning to roll on a river. Go to the swimming pool first and learn there off the wall. You can rent the boats from UofU and I am pretty sure Weber state. Just check with their outdoor department

double moo
08-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Wasatch Touring used to rent boats also. Or just come by and pick up mine - it's been collecting dust for the past 5 years. Spray skirt, paddle, PFD, thigh braces, etc... Ready to put in the water.

Definitely don't try learning to roll in the river... or on your own. It's like surfing - a thousand times it doesn't work then it suddenly clicks!

Also be careful picking a boat for a 4 hour paddle. It's easy to get leg cramps after a while and you will need to get out and walk them off. A larger volume boat allows you to move your legs a bit more and fatigue slower.

Seriously, come take my boat - it's a Perception Corsica Matrix - river boat, not a play boat - big difference and better comfort. It is a 76 gal boat (displacement capacity) which makes it ideal for up to 225 lb men. Acca knows me and my location. You may want to pick it up and try it on still water a couple times before hitting the river.

Sombeech
08-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Seriously, come take my boat - it's a Perception Corsica Matrix - river boat, not a play boat - big difference and better comfort. It is a 76 gal boat (displacement capacity) which makes it ideal for up to 225 lb men. Acca knows me and my location. You may want to pick it up and try it on still water a couple times before hitting the river.

Cool, I just might take you up on that. :cool2: It might be about a month.

On the rolling part, is this a necessary skill before you hit the river, or do a lot of people just pull the tab instead?

double moo
08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Some basics will be very helpful before hitting the river. I have a cabin up near Causey - we could hit there or pineview for a brief run down on boat skills - then it's up to you to practice.

The boat collects dust in my garage or yours until you need it - more convenient for you if it's in yours - practice when you can. Acca has my personal contact info - call me and we can work out a when and where.

Sombeech
09-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the offers and help guys, it looks like I'll be renting a raft instead from WSU. I'd like to bring my boy along. :bandit:

mcirque
09-20-2010, 08:52 AM
When you do decide to try out a kayak...I wouldn't start in the short playboats. They have hard chined hulls (meaning side edges) that make flat spins and other play moves possible while surfing. Those edges also make it more difficult to roll (for beginners). Not to mention, some of those tiny playboats are cramped to get in and out of. Go with a planing hull boat like the classic Dagger RPM to get your roll down and then move to a playboat if that's the route you want to go.