PDA

View Full Version : Surfing in Wyoming

homerj
08-09-2010, 10:31 PM
A buddy sent me this and thought you guys would enjoy it!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/08/09/wyoming.river.surfing/index.html?hpt=C1

Sombeech
08-10-2010, 08:09 AM
My first guess was Lunch Counter too

DiscGo
08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
That is pretty cool!

DaneDane
08-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Fwiw, there's a small standing wave in an irrigation canal in Spanish Fork. And across the street from that is a water overflow pipe that goes under the mountain and makes for a very exciting water slide.

jman
08-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Lunch Counter, Big Kahuna, etc. is a great section of rapids.

Btw, my friend's Dad use to guide commerical and private rafts down sections of rivers across the US for over 15 years (Snake, Colorado, Green, Mississippi, Missouri, Black, Twin, Fish Rivers, etc.) , and he says that this section of river on the snake (8 miles up from Lunch Counter is the staging area - I forget the name) is the MOST bang for buck, the best rapids in the fall (lower cfs makes for a taller Big Kahuna and Lunch Counter), and a very easy shuttle. In those 8 miles of rapids on a 12man raft, he can go down 4 times in a day.

I've been on a few of those trips and they were great! Huge rapids that knocked 11-12 people out on Big Kahuna, seeing "Champagne", cliff diving from "chicken cliff", and refreshing water!

DaneDane
08-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Years ago, my dad and uncle used to be BSA canoe guides right in that stretch. I don't think BSA does anything there anymore because it could get a little too dangerous (by BSA and canoe standards :wink:--one time a canoe wrapped around a bridge support, the kid in the middle was trapped, the water came up over his face and he drowned with just about an inch of water over his face--that's why you don't ride 3 in a canoe). They normally wouldn't take the canoes down as far as Lunch Counter anyway. I'm heading up there this weekend to go on their old route. Maybe I'll swim through Lunch Counter for old times sake.

homerj
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I grew up in Star Valley, which is just south of the Snake River Canyon. We would raft it about every summer while I was growing up! It was a blast! I think my favorite time was when we took a smaller 6 person raft down and all but one of us got thrown out at Kahuna!! You didn't even feel the cold water with all the adrenalin flowing!!! It's been many years since I've been down it though.