PDA

View Full Version : ..

Tucker
08-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Iceaxe
08-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Someone who obtained a Canyon Poaching Permit (ticket) last year told me it was $200 (if I remember correctly)... and was handled by dropping a check in the mail (same method as paying a parking ticket). If you want to fight the ticket you have to show up in court in St. George.

Permits for Camping in the Permit Line, which is really an illegal camping ticket are currently going for $50. I'm not exactly sure what creature comforts you can have with you in line before it's considered "camping". I know a tent and sleeping bag are over the line.... but not sure about a blanket and/or chair.... The group I know that received the camping ticket had a pad and sleeping bag with them. I'm guessing camping tickets might be somewhat at the rangers discretion/interpretation of the rule.....

The tickets mentioned above are actual tickets I know of.... your mileage may vary.....

Civil Disobedience and Zion Permits
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39660

ratagonia
08-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Someone who obtained a Canyon Poaching Permit (ticket) last year told me it was $200 (if I remember correctly)... and was handled by dropping a check in the mail (same method as paying a parking ticket). If you want to fight the ticket you have to show up in court in St. George.

Permits for Camping in the Permit Line, which is really an illegal camping ticket are currently going for $50. I'm not exactly sure what creature comforts you can have with you in line before it's considered "camping". I know a tent and sleeping bag are over the line.... but not sure about a blanket and/or chair.... The group I know that received the camping ticket had a pad and sleeping bag with them. I'm guessing camping tickets might be somewhat at the rangers discretion/interpretation of the rule.....

The tickets mentioned above are actual tickets I know of.... your mileage may vary.....

Civil Disobedience and Zion Permits
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39660

Just spent some time there this morning... no line at 5 am, glad I did not come at 4!

The sign says "no bedding". I think chairs are acceptable. If they don't like my polarfleece sarong, I'll cut a slit in the middle and call it a poncho.

They are cracking down this year on permit violations. So, I would recommend extreme caution at the moment, unless you live is So Utah and would like to discuss things with the Federal Magistrate. Rumor on the street is that they have been told to ticket ALL members of the party, and they can go with a fine of up to $500.00, as a matter of citing officer's discretion (ie, how much lip you give em).

YMMV

:moses:

Tucker
08-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Iceaxe
08-09-2010, 10:59 AM
One ticketed violation I know of this year was a boyscout troop of 16 in the Subway.... they obtained two permits for 8, but joined up soon after leaving the TH and became a group of 16. The troop ran into rangers sitting in the actual Subway section of the route and scout master recieved a ticket....

Last year (and things could have changed).... the $200 ticket was the maximum fine.... same as a parking or speeding ticket.... they are always based on maximum if you just write a check and drop it in the mail.... if they are issuing a ticket to everyone in the group that is an important new new wrinkle to be aware of......

rick t
08-09-2010, 04:50 PM
"Just spent some time there this morning... no line at 5 am"
YMMV is the key here. Its monday, hence rarely a line. When i hit the line @ 4:45 am on friday, july 30, i was number 11 in line.
The lead guy had been there, sleeping in his chair, since 10 pm thursday.
By 7 am there were twenty more behind me. it wasn't until 8 that i got to the window.
heaven knows for the guys at the end of the line. so much for same day early starts.
pretty grim for summer weakend permit seekers.

mtthwlw
08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
heaven knows for the guys at the end of the line. so much for same day early starts.
pretty grim for summer weakend permit seekers.

Use the Express Permit system to avoid standing in line. You have to watch a video and it's good for 2 years. I never stand in line for a weekday permit and rarely for a weekend (when the online permits are taken.) When you must stand in line, go to the Kolob office closer to Cedar City... no lines there.

Scott Card
08-10-2010, 04:54 PM
If they don't like my polarfleece sarong, I'll cut a slit in the middle and call it a poncho.

:Hey, they have this really cool new technical invention called a "Snuggie"! I'll send you one if you'd like. No one could mistake the leopard print for bedding. It is a fashion statement!

Iceaxe
08-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey, they have this really cool new technical invention called a "Snuggie"!

:facepalm:

Your Man Card!!!

Hand it over.....

trackrunner
08-10-2010, 05:10 PM
The sign says "no bedding".

so would this be bedding?
http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2008/01/lippi-selk-sleeping-bag.jpg

trackrunner
08-10-2010, 05:13 PM
:facepalm:

Your Man Card!!!

Hand it over.....

X2

:facepalm::Mario_Facepalm:

Scott Card
08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
You forgot the "a" or the "the" in your sentence. I believe you meant to type, "Your the man, Card" or "Your a man, Card". Of course it is You're and not "your" in that case. (We so need a sarcasm button around here. I was sooooo joking above. I own no Snuggies.:haha: But I am willing to send Tom one for the permit line just to see what the Rangers say and whether the blanket with sleeves constitutes "bedding" in their book.:crazy:)

Scott Card
08-10-2010, 05:16 PM
X2

:facepalm::Mario_Facepalm:
Doooooooods..... I have so failed in my attempt at humor.... again....:facepalm:

trackrunner
08-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Doooooooods..... I have so failed in my attempt at humor.... again....:facepalm:

you can't plead sarcasm to get your man card back

Scott Card
08-10-2010, 05:23 PM
you can't plead sarcasm to get your man card back
:scared:

Edit:

Hey, they have this really cool new technical invention called a "Snuggie"! :lol8::roflol: I'll send you one if you'd like.:crazy: No one could mistake the leopard print for bedding. :haha:It is a fashion statement!:roflol:

:fitz: err I mean :haha:

trackrunner
08-10-2010, 05:43 PM
you are a lawyer. your lies and half blooded Canadian super powers may have worked on iceaxe but not me.

tell you what since this thread is about Zion Permits let's have the zion bc rangers settle this. . .

Oh that's right you're from Mapelton. I guess we already know their answer. tag for sarcasm

Iceaxe
08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
you are a lawyer. your lies and half blooded Canadian super powers may have worked on iceaxe but not me.

Q: Do you know how to tell when a lawyer is lying?

A: His lips are moving....

:lol8:

Ryebrye
08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Use the Express Permit system to avoid standing in line. You have to watch a video and it's good for 2 years. I never stand in line for a weekday permit and rarely for a weekend (when the online permits are taken.) When you must stand in line, go to the Kolob office closer to Cedar City... no lines there.

If you are standing in line it's because you want a walk-on permit that is hard to get - not because you fancy getting up at the butt-crack of dawn 2 days before you want to do your canyon.

The Kolob desk has no lines, but it also opens an hour later.

You can also extend your express system by one year by going in and talking to them - but I think you can only get a one-year extension once before you have to watch the video about how to bury poop again.

Scott Card
08-10-2010, 10:35 PM

tell you what since this thread is about Zion Permits let's have the zion bc rangers settle this. . .

Oh that's right you're from Mapelton. I guess we already know their answer. tag for sarcasm:haha: Mapleton!!!!!:hail2thechief: Bring on the rangers. Last encounter I had with the ranger he left me and I wasn't finished bellyachin' about the stupid system. He'd had enough reason, truth and enlightenment :nod: :lol8:

Scott Card
08-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Q: Do you know how to tell when a lawyer is lying?

A: His lips are moving....

:lol8: Hence, the reason I keep my mouth closed when I type. :mrgreen:

oldno7
08-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Hence, the reason I keep my mouth closed when I type. :mrgreen:
:lol8::lol8::lol8:

Iceaxe
08-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Use the Express Permit system to avoid standing in line.

The Express Permit System is helpful.... but it's a long ways from the magic pill. First problem is a sizable number of great canyons are not even available on the Express Permit System. Second problem is its only helpful if you are a Zion regular. It does nothing to help the person who only visits Zion occasionally and does not have a current account.

One improvement I'd like to see is the elimination of the Express Permit System, and allow the downloading of permits available to anyone... AFTER you have watched the video online. That would be very simple to program.... push a button to print permit.... which also starts the video... the permit does not print until after the video has finished playing..... if you are like me you would probably pay more attention to what the video was actually saying while sitting at your office desk instead of watching it while playing grab-ass with your friends in the permit line. This method would also force you to watch the video again every time you picked up an on-line permit and repetition has been proven to be a good learning tool.

YMMV

taatmk
08-11-2010, 12:35 PM
allow the downloading of permits available to anyone... AFTER you have watched the video online.

That would be an excellent way to get permits to me....and if visually IDing the person is one purpose for the current system, I'd attach a picture....

accadacca
08-13-2010, 01:21 PM
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: Is that you Card?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZp-GLMMJ0

Iceaxe
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
:roflol:

Scott Card
08-13-2010, 02:34 PM
That was :cold: but :lol8: . (Disrespectful youngin's :fitz: :haha:) The answer is ahhh no. I have more hair, much better looking and let me repeat, I own NO snuggie.... Oh and my office is much messier.

accadacca
08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Your just so fun to make fun of and you take it so well. :lol8: :2thumbs:

Ryebrye
08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
The Express Permit System is helpful.... but it's a long ways from the magic pill. First problem is a sizable number of great canyons are not even available on the Express Permit System. Second problem is its only helpful if you are a Zion regular. It does nothing to help the person who only visits Zion occasionally and does not have a current account.

One improvement I'd like to see is the elimination of the Express Permit System, and allow the downloading of permits available to anyone... AFTER you have watched the video online. That would be very simple to program.... push a button to print permit.... which also starts the video... the permit does not print until after the video has finished playing..... if you are like me you would probably pay more attention to what the video was actually saying while sitting at your office desk instead of watching it while playing grab-ass with your friends in the permit line. This method would also force you to watch the video again every time you picked up an on-line permit and repetition has been proven to be a good learning tool.

YMMV

Allow me to recap the video for you. Canyon soil is delicate. Don't :topes: in it. If you are hiking in a narrow slot canyon in the back country, if you need to :a: be sure to :topes: 500 feet away from the watercourse and bury it. (How to do this in a slot canyon is never explained, but I always carry trad gear so I can ascend 500 vertical feet and then duct-tape my :topes: to the wall where it's safely away from water)

If customer service was a concern for them, there's a LOT of stuff they could do better. Like... just adding the other canyons to the system (but maybe they think if the canyons are listed there more people will want to do them? Heaven help us if there is ever a lottery for icebox!)

Iceaxe
08-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I heard a horror story the other day from an acquaintance who told me of showing up at 7:30 am and standing in the permit line for 2 hours on a Saturday morning.... he had reservations and just wanted to pick up his permit.....