PDA

View Full Version : Small flash flood at Powell going between the Pontoons of my Houseboat

moab mark
08-08-2010, 08:33 PM
This isn't canyoneering but thought I would post it here.

I was down to Powell this weekend. We bailed 2 days early due to it raining every afternoon. On Saturday we were sitting around watching these ugly clouds moving in when all of a sudden it let loose. It rained hard for about 10 minutes with the wind trying to tear everything apart it could get it's hands on. Just as it started to stop raining this small stream started to appear in front of our Houseboat. It flowed for about an hour and half. Each break in the video is about 20 minutes apart.
The next day we climbed out to have a look of what was up above. The drainage was about a mile square slick rock basin. I was really suprised how fast it started running and how long it flowed.
On a side note some guy came by in his boat on friday when it was raining and warned us that a houseboat was sunk in that location 3 years ago from a flash flood. He said it turned the boat sideways and sunk it. He recommend if it started coming down hard to be prepared to push off and float away. We thought he was nuts. Maybe he wasn't nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0q_4cyw1M

DSTRBD
08-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Wow! Crazy, good thing it really didn't let loose on you guys, I cold see if it really got running it could cause you some trouble. Cool video..right place right time this time :haha:

jman
08-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Nice Chevron mark! Is that by bullfrog area?

asdf
08-09-2010, 05:33 AM
I need to go see the Zions soon.

oldno7
08-09-2010, 05:55 AM
I need to go see the Zions soon.

I'll bet there were a few of these in Z-eye-ons yesterday.

Canyonbug
08-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Wow! That's impressive for what you described as a seemingly small drainage.

Is this just inside the mouth of Crystal Canyon? We were up there a few weeks ago and looked at the spot as a future potential to park a house boat on. Maybe we will re-consider that. We had seen a houseboat parked there the day we came in.

moab mark
08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Wow! That's impressive for what you described as a seemingly small drainage.

Is this just inside the mouth of Crystal Canyon? We were up there a few weeks ago and looked at the spot as a future potential to park a house boat on. Maybe we will re-consider that. We had seen a houseboat parked there the day we came in.

Yes it is the first spot on the left when you go into Crystal. Other then possibly sinking your boat it is a great spot.:lol8: It is a very popular spot. We were shocked it was open.

jiffers
08-09-2010, 05:46 PM
We almost packed up our tents, and moved to that spot... sure would suck in a tent, if that happened....:phew:

accadacca
08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow! That was cool! :popcorn:

taatmk
08-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Wow. Amazing!