PDA

View Full Version : Keet Seel day hike??

Reddirtdawg
08-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Just wondering if anyone on board here has hiked to Keet Seel ruin as a day trip? I am kicking this one around a bit. Would like to hear any feedback from anyone has that has done it....but not as an overnighter.
Thanks.

mattandersao
08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I know someone who has. He said it wasn't too bad except for the sand, heat, uphill in the sand, long distance, lack of water (pack all you need in), etc...other than that piece of cake!!!:nod:

Dayhiker
08-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I did it as a day hike in June 2007 at the age of 50 and it wasn't bad. Carrying a gallon of water wasn't bad since you have most its weight going in on the downhill. I think I had about a third of a gallon left when I got to the climb out of the canyon. I also carried a change of shoes so that i didn't have explorer the ruins or do the hike out of the canyon in wet shoes. I seem to remember that it took under 4 hours to hike in and a little over 4 hours to hike out. Add to that the hour tour for the day. Yes it was sandy, in fact the whole hike is nothing but sand and cow pies but I paced myself on the climb out and did it easily. I also checked out the camping area and it was an area of flatten down foxtails. The hike is worth it. Just get an early start.

Reddirtdawg
08-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys ~ that's pretty much the info I was looking for. I do believe when the temps start to cool down a bit I am going to go ahead and do it as a day hike. Since I am 58 years old myself.......if you happen to get down their after me and you see my bones in the middle of the trail......please......just kick them to the side....I wouldn't want anyone tripping over me.
:lol8:

Dayhiker
08-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Just don't wait to long. The hike to Keet Seel is only open until September 11 this year.