PDA

View Full Version : Rope Bags, what do you use?

p40whk
08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Tired of carrying around 150' of 9mm rope and was thinking about getting a rope bag. There's a lot of different manufacturers, styles and sizes out there so I'm having trouble figuring out what would be the easiest to use.

Any suggestions and why would be appreciated. And a good place to pick one up would be nice. We're leaving for Zion next week and I thought about picking one up along the way but not familiar with the stores out there.

trackrunner
08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I've like my Imlay rope bags. What I like about these over some of the other rope bags on the market is that the bag floats in wet canyons. Note I've never had a problem with lack of flotation, but have heard stories of individuals throwing a fully over stuffed rope bag and losing all of their rope and bag in a pothole full of water.

A good place to purchase is the Desert Rat in St. George from Bo Beck.

Another one I've seen used with success among canyon partners is a BlueWater rescue rope bag.

also have had parters succefully deploy the rope out of their back pack using the back pack like a rope bag. Probably not a good idea to throw your back pack. instead deploy the rope out of the bag.

hope the info helps

oldno7
08-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Theres Imlay canyon gear rope bags, then theres the rest..........

The Bluewater rescue rope bag is a PITA to stuff. So if used as a real rescue rope, no big deal. If used as a intended rope in the canyon and requiring repeated stuffing,not so fun.(I'm only familiar with the 100' version of this) I believe the rope is 7mm.

I own 5 ICG rope bags.

Scott Card
08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
:nod: X2 :nod:

Felicia
08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
:nod: X2 :nod:

:nod::clap: X3 :clap::nod:

Don
08-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I loved Cody's Imlay bag so much I finally broke down & bought one. And a rope. I need to get into some canyons soon...

Cirrus2000
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
X whatever number I am. I have a Bagarino and a Small Rope Silo. While I've not experimented with others, both are great, and I wouldn't give them up. :2thumbs:

Pelon1
08-05-2010, 04:09 AM

The Bluewater rescue rope bag is a PITA to stuff. So if used as a real rescue rope, no big deal. If used as a intended rope in the canyon and requiring repeated stuffing,not so fun.(I'm only familiar with the 100' version of this) I believe the rope is 7mm.

I know it sucks to stuff, gotta get me a bagarino to go with my Imlay bag for the 100' 8mm.

p40whk
08-05-2010, 04:58 AM
That's what I wanted to hear, thanks all!

Just need to pick one up while I'm out there as I doubt it will get shipped to me in time. Wonder if Escalante Outfitters carries it? That's our first stop otherwise I can try the places south of Zion.

Felicia
08-05-2010, 06:53 AM
You can make your purchase from Tom:

canyoneeringusa.com

utswell
08-05-2010, 07:30 AM
I have a 200' 9.3mm rope in one of Tom's 'small' rope bags and it fills the bag nicely. The 'medium' had lots of extra room, too much for what I wanted. Imlay rope bags are great.

Don
08-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I have a 200' 9.3mm rope in one of Tom's 'small' rope bags and it fills the bag nicely. The 'medium' had lots of extra room, too much for what I wanted. Imlay rope bags are great.

Yeah, 120' of 8.3 Canyon Fire rope and 120' 6mm pull cord fit nicely in the even smaller Bagarino.
http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropebags.php

p40whk
08-05-2010, 07:46 AM
You can make your purchase from Tom:

canyoneeringusa.com

I got my rope from Tom, should have bought the bag as well. Is he in the area out there because I'm not sure I can get it here in Cincinnati before I leave next Thursday?

ratagonia
08-05-2010, 08:00 AM
I got my rope from Tom, should have bought the bag as well. Is he in the area out there because I'm not sure I can get it here in Cincinnati before I leave next Thursday?

EZ. no problemo, but especially it you order today, before 1 pm your time.

Tom

p40whk
08-05-2010, 08:18 AM
EZ. no problemo, but especially it you order today, before 1 pm your time.

Tom

Tom, sent you a PM. Not sure if it would be easier to pick it up out there or not since we're headed that way. Another question, would the small silo fit the 9.3mm 150' rope?

ratagonia
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
email works for me: canyoneeringusa@gmail dot com PM? what is this PM???

Are you driving? Escalante Outfitters is a dealer, but they do not carry much stuff. Also dealers in SLC, Provo, Orem, Boulder CO, Moab. Springdale, St George.

9.3 x 150 would probably fit better in a Medium Silo. What rope do you have? From me? you mean 8.3 Canyon Fire x 150 feet = Small Silo?

Tom

p40whk
08-05-2010, 08:48 AM
email works for me: canyoneeringusa@gmail dot com PM? what is this PM???

Are you driving? Escalante Outfitters is a dealer, but they do not carry much stuff. Also dealers in SLC, Provo, Orem, Boulder CO, Moab. Springdale, St George.

9.3 x 150 would probably fit better in a Medium Silo. What rope do you have? From me? you mean 8.3 Canyon Fire x 150 feet = Small Silo?

Tom

PM = Private Message, Yes we are driving out and I thought I could save a little on shipping if I just picked it up. I could go ahead and order it now if you think it will get here before next thursday?

Yes, I bought the Imlay Canyon Rope 9mm from you (for some reason I thought it was 9.3). I originally bout 300' but have cut it down to 2 - 150' sections. I was just reading Utswell's post above saying that he has 200' in your small silo so if that fit's shouldn't 150' of what I have fit? (I'm all for reducing bulk)

rcwild
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
The Bluewater rescue rope bag is a PITA to stuff. So if used as a real rescue rope, no big deal. If used as a intended rope in the canyon and requiring repeated stuffing, not so fun.

Agree. The BW rescue bag does require skill to stuff. But it is intended as a very special purpose bag -- for a 100-foot 8mm rescue rope that sits in the bottom of your pack, rarely (if ever) used. If someone is stuffing that bag on a regular basis, he needs to ask himself what he is doing wrong that results in deploying his rescue rope so often.

For primary ropes for most people, Tom's bags are currently the best option.

xxnitsuaxx
08-05-2010, 09:35 AM
$1 backpacks from DI. Put 6 grommets in the bottom of each one. Sew styrofoam in the front of the pack for flotation. Sew a cordelette loop in the bottom of the pack to tie the rope to. Total time invested per bag - 30 minutes. Total cost per bag - $1.25. Average number of canyons each bag can handle - 14 and counting.

p40whk
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
I tried to make my own using the instruction found here: http://www.canyonwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Rope_bags but got extremely frustrated and am not happy with the results. My sewing skills are lacking and my machine doesn't have a free arm to be able to sew in tight areas so I gave up last night trying to sew on the bag top.

I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and am pretty handy with a lot of things but sometime you just have to spend the money and get what works rather than do it yourself.

oldno7
08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Agree. The BW rescue bag does require skill to stuff. But it is intended as a very special purpose bag -- for a 100-foot 8mm rescue rope that sits in the bottom of your pack, rarely (if ever) used. If someone is stuffing that bag on a regular basis, he needs to ask himself what he is doing wrong that results in deploying his rescue rope so often.

For primary ropes for most people, Tom's bags are currently the best option.

So if canyoneering with 3 people, and all 3 have rescue ropes in their packs, is it wrong to use one of them for a non rescue?
This takes into consideration that whomever has a rescue rope not being used, is the last to rappel.(1-rescue rope always at the top)

Iceaxe
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Before I obtained one of Tom's fancy rope bags I just used a cheap old nylon backpack that I picked up off a bargain table for $5. I added about 6 large grommets in the bottom. I would stick the rope through one of the grommets and tie a knot in the rope so it would pull back through. No sewing involved..... took about 15 minutes to make and worked good enough. The trick is finding a bargain backpack the correct size.

p40whk
08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I ordered the small silo from Tom about 45 minutes ago. Will probably use a cheap bag for my friends rope. I'm sure he'll want one of the Imlay bags after he sees mine.

rcwild
08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
So if canyoneering with 3 people, and all 3 have rescue ropes in their packs, is it wrong to use one of them for a non rescue?
This takes into consideration that whomever has a rescue rope not being used, is the last to rappel.(1-rescue rope always at the top)

Semantics, but I will suggest that, just because 3 people are carrying 8mm ropes in bags that were designed as rescue bags does not mean there are 3 rescue ropes. Only one is THE rescue rope that should be held in reserve at the back of the line. The other two are just 8mm ropes that should be carried in more efficient rope bags and used at will.

rcwild
08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Before I obtained one of Tom's fancy rope bags I just used a cheap old nylon backpack that I picked up off a bargain table for $5. I added about 6 large grommets in the bottom. I would stick the rope through one of the grommets and tie a knot in the rope so it would pull back through. No sewing involved..... took about 15 minutes to make and worked good enough. The trick is finding a bargain backpack the correct size.

You are using a rope bag now? Does this mean you finally converted from toss 'n go to SRT?

Iceaxe
08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
You are using a rope bag now? Does this mean you finally converted from toss 'n go to SRT?

Complicated answer.... short answer is "it depends"....

When I carry long ropes (over 120') I now use a rope bag, or deploy out of my pack like a rope bag. I also have a 200' 6mm pull chord I carry in one of Tom's baguettes.

When I carry short ropes (120' or less) I prefer to coil because it's faster for me.... now days I tend to think of ropes more like golf clubs, and pick the correct rope for the job. Which is easy for me because I have a dozen ropes of different length's lying around the house. I understand this would not work for the noob with only one or two ropes.

Outside of Zion there are not many places on the CP that require long ropes. And since I seldom do Zion canyons any more (can't stand the permit fiasco), I seldom carry long ropes, so I seldom use a rope bag.....

Couple of examples for those playing along at home.....

Option #1
If I were doing Pine Creek with an experienced partner we would probably both carry one 100' rope. I would coil mine.....

Option #2
If I were doing Pine Creek with noobs, or the wife and kids (in what I call guide mode) I'd probably use a 200' rope out of a bag......

Option #3
If I were doing Heaps it would be rope bag all the way....

Option #4
I'd probably never carry a rope bag anywhere near most the North Wash slots.

How is that for clear as mud? :haha:

canyonguru
08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Ive been doing cayons now for i would say 7 years or so and have never used a rope bag. I just don't see the point of carrying it, what if you have to use your hands a lot do you just put it down or pass it to a partner. Either i stuff the rope in my pack or tie it to the outside of my pack. After the drop i just coil it up for the next drop. Seems to work pretty good so far and yes i understand that a class C canyon it would suck because the left over rope and the bottom would most likely get stuck in the hydros or a log or something. I kinda do canyons like Ice was talking about, i just bring what i need and one rescue rope. But then again i don't really venture to for away from the safe canyons of zion either.

tylerhirshfeld
08-06-2010, 08:04 PM
For years, I have always just stuffed my rope straight into my pack. But I am adapting to stuffing into a rope bag intead. Imlay Canyon Gear is the way to go if you are looking for durability.

ratagonia
08-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I also have a 200' 6mm pull chord I carry in one of Tom's baguettes.

[thick eastern european accent]

What is this pull CHORD? Your friends all make harmony while you are pulling down the rope? This sounds very beautiful and enhances the canyon experience I am sure! Or perhaps you are like Joshua in the Bible and blow a trumpet, and your rappelling CORD just falls to the ground. Slaughtering the Canaanites you should maybe not do if you are in the National Park and do not have the permit.

It is good, this "Tom entertaining himself", yes??? :haha:
[/thick eastern european accent]

:moses:

ratagonia
08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
For years, I have always just stuffed my rope straight into my pack. But I am adapting to stuffing into a rope bag intead. Imlay Canyon Gear is the way to go if you are looking for durability.

There are many different ways to manage your ropes in a canyon; some are easier, some are more difficult; using separate rope bags for your rope tends to be easier, and lead to fewer rope "difficulties" such as tangles and stuck ends. Claims to the moral high-ground (ie, doing it the RIGHT way) should always be viewed with skepticism - but avoiding rope difficulties is perhaps the only grounds for claiming use of ropebags is "right".

Stuffing the rope directly into MY pack is an excellent way for control freaks like me to maintain a tight leash on the group. Different group dynamics (which may or may not be better) are attained by having the rope in a separate bag not tightly linked to one individual, and thus available to all. For me, the "keeping the group on a tight leash" instinct is overwhelmed by the "let the young bucks do all the work" instinct; and everyone has a more enjoyable experience.

Tom :moses:

oldno7
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
To expound on this a little--when I do canyons with Tyler, he carries his rope in his pack. Since he is so young and strong, he also carries my rope, in a rope bag, on top of his rope, in his pack.:haha:
Sooo nice to have talented, young, strong, partners.:2thumbs:

p40whk
08-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Tom,

That bag got to me in 2 days! Thanks for the quick turnaround.

ratagonia
08-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Tom,

That bag got to me in 2 days! Thanks for the quick turnaround.

We aim to please. :moses:

tylerhirshfeld
08-08-2010, 05:17 PM
To expound on this a little--when I do canyons with Tyler, he carries his rope in his pack. Since he is so young and strong, he also carries my rope, in a rope bag, on top of his rope, in his pack.:haha:
Sooo nice to have talented, young, strong, partners.:2thumbs:

Hence the reason I dont invite Kurt on canyons...:haha:. Just kiddin. I understand that he is just trying to bring me down to his level.:haha:. Either way, its always fun going out with you guys, Kurt!

StarFangledNut
05-30-2013, 07:53 PM
[thinking to himself] Sure wish I could get my hands on an Imlay rope bag :-( [/thinking to himself]

Bootboy
05-30-2013, 08:42 PM
I use some of tom's, and have made some of my own.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/31/9e7a9esy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/31/ymu8u7e9.jpg

I could make ya one. How much rope are you needing to carry?

$35 for a small 25m x 8mm
$45 for a medium 40m x 8-9mm
$55 for a large 60m x 8-9 mm

Let me know, I'm getting pretty good at putting one together in a few hours.

StarFangledNut
05-31-2013, 05:10 AM
Those bags look really cool Bootboy. Did you sew in some flotation material into the back? Do you have a stiff rim around the opening? My rope is 9.2 65M; I assume the large will hold it just fine?

Bootboy
05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Yes and yes. Lined with removable closed-cell foam and the rim is bound in doubled 1" webbing.

edsbay
05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
I need a pull cord bag for 200 foot 6 mm cord and Tom is sold out. Any ideas. Bootboy those bags look pretty awesome.

StarFangledNut
05-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info Bootboy. Cool bags!. I'll PM you if I decide to pick one up.

Bootboy
06-02-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm playing around with some different ideas. I'd like to get ahold of some polyurethane laminate fabric for the high wear areas, but its proving very difficult. Pvc and hypalon are ubiquitous, but Im looking for an edge and something a little more eco-friendly. I'm going to contact some raft companies to see what I can source. I'm going to prototype another bag or 2 and see what I come up with. So many projects, so little time between work, school, travel, etc...