PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report 07/03/2010 - Adams Canyon - Lower Waterfall

jman
07-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Where: Adams Canyon (Layton, Utah) - Lower Waterfall
When: July 3rd, 2010
Who: Myself, Jeff, and Ian
Why: It was right after the July 3rd parade and a friend's BBQ & volleyball game, SO...we needed a small physical activity before the evening excitement and party! WHY NOT???!

This is in Layton at the famous Adams Canyon. Most people know about the Upper Falls, which takes nearly 1 1/2 - 2 hours to reach - and along the way, most of those people will pass the lower falls. It takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes to reach it, but unfortunately it's not as high as its bigger brother. We estimate anywhere from 17-20 feet.

So NOTHING FANCY HERE!! LOL. There's a few things why this one is a good time waster. First, semi-easy approach (all switchbacks) and you can reach it within 10 minutes from your car. Second, the waterfall isn't high at all (its pretty pathetic actually) BUT it does pack a punch! There is a lot of water and it's a VERY good location for introductions to Class-C, waterfall rappelling. Third, its a very easy loop - less than 3 minutes to reach the top again. And Fourth, the anchor could not be more perfect. At the very top there is a bush or tree that is within 3 feet of the edge and makes for a center rappel (which makes going to either side very easy if you are tooooo afraid of the full force). And Fifth, last of all, about 5-8 feet is a free-hanging rappel so you get to experience a lot, within a very short drop.

Like I said, earlier, this waterfall is a VERY GOOD location for training. Plus, it has a ampitheater like gorge where hordes or gaggles of spectators can watch and take notes, if they feel so inclined.

Here are the GPS Coords:
Trailhead: N41

uintahiker
07-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Nice! I wanna see pictures from when you do the next waterfall up!

jman
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Nice! I wanna see pictures from when you do the next waterfall up!

It's on the list. Thankfully, there is an easy way to the top of the upper falls. Maybe in a month or so after my Havasupai trip.

jumar
07-22-2010, 12:07 PM
That's another falls I had on my list that I never did do. My wife got me a book of 100 utah waterfalls that we use for finding cascading and ice climbing route. This was in there. Sweet!

jman
07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
That's another falls I had on my list that I never did do. My wife got me a book of 100 utah waterfalls that we use for finding cascading and ice climbing route. This was in there. Sweet!

Thanks Jeff. It's a good training site and a nice 1hr diversion from the hot summer.

Although, next on my list is Waterfall Canyon. Although, I am a bit scared now with that kid rockclimbing who died a few days ago.... :(