PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Bonneville Offroad Racing Jackpot 230

fourtycal
07-11-2010, 04:14 PM
The BOR race this month was held in Jackpot Nevada July 10th. I was just planning to go and watch again when I read a quote in Bogleys "Famous Quotes" thread that got me daydreaming about participating. I have never raced anything but I do like to go fast, I have a motorcycle that was not too far from being race worthy so I signed up, thinking whats the worst that could happen?

Friday afternoon, Derek (Ride-on), my neighbor Kevin and I arrived at the race pits to run a practice lap. About 5 miles into the run I blew a front tire that ended our pre-run. I got it fixed and ready for the race staging at 5:45AM Saturday.

The race started on schedule and I had been drawn to start 7th in line for my class. we were started one minute apart and my class started after the pro motorbikes and atv's. The course was 35 miles and we were to run three laps, just over 105 miles.

The course was very rocky, like big boulders and loose rocks everywhere. By the first checkpoint I could tell it was going to hurt to finish this race. Passing other bikes was brutal, the dust was so thick behind a rider that seeing where you were while getting close was impossible. I learned that standing high on the pegs and looking for their helmet was the trick, then pray you don't get bucked off your bike by rocks while going for the pass.

I passed several bikes when I ended up behind a KTM that I just couldn't catch. The guy was fast and I ended up eating dust for many miles. I stayed as close as I could hoping he would make a mistake... my luck changed in a tight rocky wash when he started swapping and got sideways in the trail, I made the pass and gave it everything I had for the next 10 miles to the first pit stop.

DJ was waiting with a swig of cold Mountain Dew and a splash of gas and I was on my way just ahead of the quick guy on the KTM.

The second lap went very well for me but every time I looked back that KTM was there ready to pounce if I made a mistake. I held him off and came in for the second pit, I took a quick splash of fuel and took off knowing the KTM would do the same. The third lap was tough and I was feeling fatigue but kept on it. I could pull away from the KTM on the rough rocky stuff but any straight smooth sections he caught up fast, luckily it was a rough track. I finished at 2 hours 53 minutes with a first in class win.

I made it back in time to watch the staging and launch of the trucks and buggies :2thumbs:

fourtycal
07-11-2010, 04:19 PM
more pictures

fourtycal
07-11-2010, 04:27 PM
by Wasatch Rebel...
"Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Udink
07-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Hells yeah! :headbang: Congrats on the first place finish.

Sombeech
07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Awesome! Nice riding.

oldno7
07-12-2010, 06:03 AM
great accomplishment, congratulations.

Iceaxe
07-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Awesome. :2thumbs:

kirk
07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Way to go Keith! Awesome pics.

PunchKing
07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
You are an animal! Now if only you were that fast on a mountain bike. HA HA

accadacca
07-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Whoah. Sweeeeeeetness. I have thought about entering one of these races. If I can just get doublemoo to let me borrow his KTM. :lol8:

Jaxx
07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Wow that is awesome. And who would have thought that Bogley would inspire someone! :2thumbs:

REDFOX
07-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Nice job Keith ! Now you will have the bug to enter more races.