PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists attacked by grizzly in Alaska

Wasatch Rebel
07-10-2010, 08:17 PM
This is an interesting story. http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/07/portland_cyclists_and_a_compan.html

denaliguide
07-10-2010, 10:37 PM
bear spray in the pack is about as worthless as having to load the bullets into your gun. also having a loose dog is a recipe for disaster. the dog will often run back to it's owners with bear in tow. surprising a sow with cubs violates 2 out of three of the things you don't want to do in bear country. number three is to stumble on to a bears kill site. sows with cubs are always dangerous. but a surprised one is even more so. these 3 got away with minimal injuries. lucky for them.

biking in bear country just doesn't allow the time necessary for the bear to hear you. the only thing they could have done differently is to travel more spaced out, left the dog at home and made more noise. i have lived in bear country for 20 years and seen hundreds of grizzly's up close. simple precautions are usually all that are needed to avoid confrontations.

oldno7
07-11-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm thinking the "real" story here is--the bear wanted to pass the bikers on the trail and they refused to move over, so the only choice the bear had was to maul them...

StudChild
07-11-2010, 11:18 AM
:worthless:

denaliguide
07-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm thinking the "real" story here is--the bear wanted to pass the bikers on the trail and they refused to move over, so the only choice the bear had was to maul them...

makes perfect sense. the bear did have the right of way. but then again, the bear always has the right of way.

Wasatch Rebel
07-12-2010, 08:41 AM
having a loose dog is a recipe for disaster. the dog will often run back to it's owners with bear in tow

Come on now. Old Yeller would have aggravated the bear, then led it off in the wrong direction, away from Old Yeller's owners, only eventually coming back when all was safe for them. :haha: