PDA

View Full Version : Most Fun Off SR9 Without a Permit?

sarahlizzy
06-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Birch Hollow, what a blast!

Highlights include:

Meeting fun people in the parking lot who take awesome photos
Hitching a lift on a unimog
Randomly having someone ask, "Are you Sarahlizzy?"
Surprise 4WD road to saunter back up at the end
Moo cows! :mrgreen:
Rapid fire raps to drop into Orderville
No permits!

Also, thanks to the rope handling tips that Tom showed us on Tuesday, we now find ourselves completing the canyon in the time it suggests in the beta, and also catching up to people who've been doing canyons far longer than we have.

A+++, would descend again.

zoeimogen
06-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Randomly having someone ask, "Are you Sarahlizzy?"

To be fair, that tends to happen everywhere - Permit Queues, random shops in St.George, (OK, it was Bo's place, so not quite random) canyons... pretty much every damned canyon we go in, actually...

sarahlizzy
06-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Must be our lack of accents :lol8:

SaraMG
06-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Trip Report addendum: We went to Thai Sapa near the Springdale entrance to the park afterwards. The service was straight out of an episode of Fawlty Towers, the food was mediocre, and the bill was just unreasonable. The other three were entirely too British to complain, so I got the pleasure of defending our 8% tip to the waitress who had the gall to complain about it.

sarahlizzy
06-26-2010, 09:31 PM
You seemed to have the situation in hand :cool2:

Don
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Sounds like good times! Pics?

ststephen
06-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Trip Report addendum: We went to Thai Sapa near the Springdale entrance to the park afterwards. The service was straight out of an episode of Fawlty Towers, the food was mediocre, and the bill was just unreasonable. The other three were entirely too British to complain, so I got the pleasure of defending our 8% tip to the waitress who had the gall to complain about it.

I had a similarly bad time there in May. But it sounds like it hasn't exactly spoiled your fun, eh :nod:

Cirrus2000
06-26-2010, 11:35 PM
I think that when Don and I went to Thai Sapa last fall, we were drunk enough to enjoy the food, tolerate the service, and happily pay the bill. :2thumbs:

The Unimog? :hail2thechief:

Did Birch Hollow last fall - beautiful trip! Glad you had fun! So, like, are you going to upload all the photos when you get back from the trip?

:popcorn:

sarahlizzy
06-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Photos will follow when we get back home, yes.

SaraMG
06-27-2010, 06:32 AM
I had a similarly bad time there in May. But it sounds like it hasn't exactly spoiled your fun, eh :nod:

Nah, just sharing a thumbs down for the restaurant since I misplaced my Yelp login. :wink: Zion and all its lovely canyons have been... lovely!